Moses' autobiography

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
ChumpChange
Moses' autobiography

Post by ChumpChange » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:09 am

Maybe someone can help me shed some light on a topic Ive been having a little trouble with. When I read the book of Exodus its hard for me to accpet the fact that Moses wrote it yet thats what Ive always been taught to believe. Exodus doesnt read like a person who is writing about myself and more than anything reads like someone who was writing about someone else. Am I severely confused or not?
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

-Ecclesiastes 7:29

unred typo

Re: Moses' autobiography

Post by unred typo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:48 am

I certainly am no expert on these things but it seems to me that saying that Moses wrote any books would be pure speculation. It never says he wrote them anywhere, does it? He was so busy hearing complaints, he had to appoint seventy men to help out. It seems more likely that it was a concensus of what was considered important from events recorded in the daily records, if anyone was keeping them. There are so few details, it could have been written on a yearly basis. I guess he could have written it himself or maybe he just dictated to the levites or some other scribes. Does it really matter?
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Interesting. I guess I was always brought up to believe that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. It is also called the "five books of Moses". But to answer your question, YES, it does matter who wrote it. To say that it doesnt matter who wrote Exodus is to say that it doesnt matter who wrote any of the Bible. Why bother listing the author in the Bible itself if it is of no importance? I believe that everything written in the Bible has a reason for being there.
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:26 am

Actually, I have not found in the Bible itself the title, ‘the Five Books of Moses’. Do you have a reference for that? I know for a fact Moses didn’t write Deut. 34:1-12, since this records his death and burial. I guess I have just always not worried about authorship and go with my gut feeling about whether a thing is true or not. Actually, I have my doubts about some of the 100+ laws that are said to be the actual words of God, and I’m wondering if they are not really the words of the men appointed by Moses to speak for God in judgment of the Israelites. Jesus confirms this when he says, “you have heard it said …, but I say…” and also his general disregard for the strict, oppressive observance of the Sabbath propagated by the Pharisees.
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 pm

My Bible (KJV) clearly says "Book of Moses" at the heading of Exodus. Maybe my real question is who is assumed to have written the Exodus?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm

It is traditional that the books are attributed to Moses. That goes back to the earliest Hebrew tradition But there is no proof of it. It is not in the scripture at all. It is purely tradition.

I for one don't believe it and I don't think a lot of Christians do.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Fri May 16, 2008 12:07 am

It has always been my understandign that Moses wrote the law, and that this is the reason the booksof the Law ( TheTorah, or Pentwatuch) are refered ot as "The Books Of Moses", as they record that law.

However, it is also likly that the historical aspects, notably th ebooks of Genesis and Exodus, and the historical details of tirbal fights ect foudn in the other books where inscerted after-the-fact in order to give you a historical overview of he law.

In that way, Moses is the Principle auhtor of the boosk as they centre aroudn the Law and th ebulk fo them relate to the law. But he did not write all of it.

But, if the Scribes of ISrael, who where told mby Moses and his successor Joshua, and hwo wrote under the provision of God, wrote the texts, does it matter if Moses ever out pen inot an ink well?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:21 am

Blake Reas wrote:This issue is answered in a number of ways, but since I am firmly in the Reformed Evangelical Tradition I will give you a general answer. Evangelicals have held various views through history. Some thought that Moses had special knowledge of his death, but others saw that this was a needless explanation. As Metacrock noted above the Pentateuch now where says Moses wrote the whole thing. It does say that he wrote portions, and maybe a great deal of the material does come from his hand, but the finished form is most likely later. This does not conflict with a high view of scripture, nor should one lose any sleep over it. Pentateuchal studies have been in something of a crisis for the last few years, because no one can agree on what sources where used, when they were written, and by what author. From my reading I would have to say that a more traditional answer like that of Gordon Wenham, or John Sailhamer (his book the "Pentateuch as Narrative" is a great read) answers many of the questions that crop up over this issue.

In Christ Jesus,
Blake

Hi Blake. yes, I agree, what you say about a high view of scripture is crucial! WE should have the high view and not sweat such details. There are good scholarly reasons for assuming that the Bible communicates God's love and truth, aside from party lines like who wrote what.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief