Jesus myther stupidity!

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
tinythinker
Re: Jesus myther stupidity!

Post by tinythinker » Mon May 12, 2008 9:59 am

ZAROVE wrote: Nevertheless, as soon as the term "Myth" is used, it becomes "Nonexistant mad eup hiotry" to some who havent even rea dhis book.
Some have "read it", but have done so in terms of a particular ideologically inspired exegesis in the churches they went to as children. Either that, or only in snippets with no context, that is, no historical and cultural appreciation of the sensibilities of the time (i.e. what would this passage have sounded like to a Jew or a Greek or a Roman living in such and such a time at such and such a place) and assuming that the scripture is intended solely as an infalliable literal historical account (for which we can blame certain segments of the Protestant fundamentalist movement).

To quote a wise person I once knew, I was talking about Fred Phelps (not exactly a "Jesus-myther" but go with it) and this keen individual says, "He's never read the Bible." I reacted by saying, "I think he's memorized big chunks of it, actually." To which my erudite acquaintance said, "Perhaps, but he's never really read the Bible."
Last edited by tinythinker on Mon May 12, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrift in the endless river

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 pm

tinythinker wrote:
ZAROVE wrote: Nevertheless, as soon as the term "Myth" is used, it becomes "Nonexistant mad eup hiotry" to some who havent even rea dhis book.
Some have "read it", but have done so in terms of a particular ideological inspired exegesis in the churches they went to as children. Either that, or only in snippets with no context, that is, no historical and cultural appreciation of the sensibilities of the time (i.e. what would this passage have sounded like to a Jew or a Greek or a Roman living in such and such a time at such and such a place) and assuming that the scripture is intended solely as an infalliable literal historical account (for which we can blame certain segments of the Protestant fundamentalist movement).

To quote a wise person I once knew, I was talking about Fred Phelps (not exactly a "Jesus-myther" but go with it) and this keen individual says, "He's never read the Bible." I reacted by saying, "I think he's memorized big chunks of it, actually." To which my erudite acquaintance said, "Perhaps, but he's never really read the Bible."
Tiny, I like what you've said so much, I'd like to quote it on another message board. May I? :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote: Tiny, I like what you've said so much, I'd like to quote it on another message board. May I? :D
Uhh...really? OK, sure.
Adrift in the endless river

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks, Tiny. :) My other message board is a fan board for a work of literature-- but we have an off-topics section, and there's religious discussion there. You'd be surprised how much it is assumed that Christians all read the Bible as "intended solely as an infalliable literal historical account"-- probably because the only Christians they hear anything about are the vocal Protestant fundamentalists.

I agree with your statement that the Bible should be read first for authorial intent and cultural significance, and found that you put it so well I couldn't do it better. :D
Wag more.
Bark less.