Basis of Theology - Biblical? Philosophical? Or. . ?

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Gwarlroge
Re: Basis of Theology - Biblical? Philosophical? Or. . ?

Post by Gwarlroge » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Uff da, yes, probably the biggest problem with the "sudden missionary impulse" is that it places a low value on what Christ has done for me and a very high value on what I could do "for Him." Thank God I do not earn my salvation!

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Gwarlroge wrote:Uff da, yes, probably the biggest problem with the "sudden missionary impulse" is that it places a low value on what Christ has done for me and a very high value on what I could do "for Him." Thank God I do not earn my salvation!
Why do the two propositions need to be exclusive of each other?

Gwarlroge

Post by Gwarlroge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Kane Augustus wrote:
Gwarlroge wrote:Uff da, yes, probably the biggest problem with the "sudden missionary impulse" is that it places a low value on what Christ has done for me and a very high value on what I could do "for Him." Thank God I do not earn my salvation!
Why do the two propositions need to be exclusive of each other?
You're right, they don't. I put "for Him" in quotation marks because I wouldn't be obeying out of gratitude--I would mostly be obeying for my own sake (to avoid Hell or life-wasting), not that there's anything wrong with that. I think what I was trying to say is: My motives would be mostly bad for doing missionary work, if I did it. I would do it as a self-righteous or works-righteous thing, supposedly to "please God" but really to satisfy myself that "I'm obeying God, therefore God loves me." God's love is not conditional on our obedience, and that's where my feelings are mistaken.

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm interested in the psychology of your choice, to be honest. For example, can you explain why choosing to do something for your own happiness, your own desire, would necessarily be a bad reason? Why do you, in making a decision like missionary work or not, have to be excluded from the relational aspect of you and God? How is self-abnegating going to be of any help to you when considering whether you want to help others and tell them of your faith?

Gwarlroge

Post by Gwarlroge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Kane Augustus wrote:I'm interested in the psychology of your choice, to be honest. For example, can you explain why choosing to do something for your own happiness, your own desire, would necessarily be a bad reason? Why do you, in making a decision like missionary work or not, have to be excluded from the relational aspect of you and God? How is self-abnegating going to be of any help to you when considering whether you want to help others and tell them of your faith?
It wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice. No matter what I do, I hope that I want to help others and tell them of my faith. And if I end up doing missionary work, I definitely want to be "happy" doing so--in a sense.

The problem for me is that, in becoming too introspective and anxious, I tend to forget that God loves me and freely offers his grace to me. So I hope and strive to remember this, praying that I will not always disbelieve God's goodness to the extent that I do now.

...there's more to be said, but I have to go for now.

Gwarlroge

Post by Gwarlroge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Kane Augustus wrote:I'm interested in the psychology of your choice, to be honest. For example, can you explain why choosing to do something for your own happiness, your own desire, would necessarily be a bad reason? Why do you, in making a decision like missionary work or not, have to be excluded from the relational aspect of you and God? How is self-abnegating going to be of any help to you when considering whether you want to help others and tell them of your faith?
Well, first of all, there's the question of my happiness as a motive. I doubt anyone does something because they think it will make them unhappy. (In a perverse way, some people can want to be sad or depressed becuase it makes them feel emotionally "deep" or "alive" and therefore happy.) However, not everyone knows what will make them truly and most deeply happy. Some people think that sin will make them happy.

Therefore not all decisions for happiness are good or reasonable.

Second, my "missionary impulse" (which is sometimes a "janitor impulse") is probably not based on a true conception of my happiness or the nature of things. We were created "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever," and my missionary impulse reflects a view of God as a "hard master" who won't love me unless I leave my home, family, friends, etc. to follow him. This is not true: God loves me unconditionally and accepts me based on the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ, which I receive by faith. So the missionary decision, if I made it last year, would not have been a good one. It would not have made me happy in the short run.

Does that answer your question, Kane?

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Gwarlroge wrote:Does that answer your question, Kane?
Yes, I think so. Thank you.

Gwarlroge

Post by Gwarlroge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Kane Augustus wrote:
Excellent. Sorry about the long sentences. :oops:

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Gwarlroge wrote:
Kane Augustus wrote:
Excellent. Sorry about the long sentences. :oops:
I'm not sure an apology is in order here, sir. You write the way you do, and I see nothing wrong with it. I appreciate your explanations, lengthy or not.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:07 pm

where do we go from here?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief