Stirring it up

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Metacrock
Re: Stirring it up

Post by Metacrock » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:58 am

tinythinker wrote:Well, temper aside, it was a piece in the middle of the depiction of the moralistic view of Christianity. It's not going to be as good as the original but I will do what I can to replace it.
Not necessarily so. Communication theory argues that the second time you say something you usually improve it.It may not contain the one thing you really liked about the way it was but it will probably be clearer.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:20 am

Yeah, I may have zapped it myself, but I always scan through the preview before saving. In any case, it's repaired, and I downloaded my whole blog in case it is a system issue. Now I have my own backup.
Adrift in the endless river

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Next one is up, series will need at least two more.

SPR

Post by SPR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 am

Can you provide a link?

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Click on my post signature.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:36 pm

met wrote:OK, I've been thinking along these lines too lately and, IMO, it's pretty clear from the Gospels that if Jesus is perfect in God's sight, it's still a pretty different kind of perfect from perfection the way we like to understand it. Not perfect the way we think of it at all.

...EG, he insists his disciples go buy some swords. Then, when they actually use one to defend him, he tells them to put it away "for all those who live by the sword will die by the sword."

.... EG his "yoke is light" but "the door to his fathers path is narrow and few shall find it"

Or, here's what I said somewhere else recently about the fig tree incident, just outside Jerusalem:
...it's a weird passage. (Both versions.) Seems almost like Jesus just throws a pique just because he can't have a fig out of season. So he kills the tree and then (and this almost as just an afterthought) he tries to use the whole scene to deliver a supposedly-valuable lesson that somehow - if u ask me - just comes off kind of lame. Just a lame excuse for his bad mood?
... I could prolly go on, but i think u get the idea....

The Jesus of the Gospel records/traditions just DOESN'T strike me at all as (a fulfillment of what our human conceptions are, at least) of a "perfect person." Not when u really look at it. There's too much inner contradiction, and Jessus creates too many conundrums. He's ironic, extreme, difficult. U're never quite sure when to take him literally and when not. He's often very like a shaman... or maybe a Zen monk?

But in the final analysis, who says all that isn't perfect? Could it all be part of his challenge to us...? That's the annoying thing....
I'd just like to add that I have found that more information about the cultural assumptions shared between Jesus and his original audience, often clears up what seems strange to us. I recommend Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth Bailey. Not all of these issues are addressed in that book, but it clears up so many things that it makes me feel sure most of the other apparent problems could have similar explanations to the ones he gives.
Wag more.
Bark less.

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks for the comments coming in, especially on the blog. They are helping me to see where I am being clear and unclear so that at least if I am wrong (or people disagree), I can try to paint a more accurate and compelling picture. Don't know when the next installment will be up, but I really wish I was either done already or just hadn't even attempted this in the first place.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Well, I'm glad you attempted it! I think it's a fascinating perspective and well worth discussing. I agree with most of what you're saying, you know-- but raising issues where we might differ, or might be misunderstanding one another, makes for a better conversation than just "Me likee." :mrgreen:
Wag more.
Bark less.

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:23 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:Well, I'm glad you attempted it! I think it's a fascinating perspective and well worth discussing. I agree with most of what you're saying, you know-- but raising issues where we might differ, or might be misunderstanding one another, makes for a better conversation than just "Me likee." :mrgreen:
Yeah, the comments are great, but it's one of those "once you stop you have to finish things", and it keeps dragging out. It's like the whole seeking truth and fairness thing. It keeps dragging me all over the place, ever since I was something like 6 or 7. I can never find a resting spot because then there is always new horizon. Bleah!

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:00 am

tinythinker wrote:
KR Wordgazer wrote:Well, I'm glad you attempted it! I think it's a fascinating perspective and well worth discussing. I agree with most of what you're saying, you know-- but raising issues where we might differ, or might be misunderstanding one another, makes for a better conversation than just "Me likee." :mrgreen:
Yeah, the comments are great, but it's one of those "once you stop you have to finish things", and it keeps dragging out. It's like the whole seeking truth and fairness thing. It keeps dragging me all over the place, ever since I was something like 6 or 7. I can never find a resting spot because then there is always new horizon. Bleah!

tell me about it. I feel obsessed with getting my blog stuff out on time weather I want to or not. I'm sick of blogging. Now it's dying. No one will read my good stuff. I was getting 150 before Christmas now it's down to 80 because I took a break and gave people a chance to think about other things.

I know you are really talking about where your thoughts lead you. I know what you mean, one thing leads to another. If you try to write a systematic theology or a credo or something it'll drive you nuts. In seminary we had write a credo, like a mini systematic theology describing our positions on all major issues of the faith, after a certain period (like when you are a senior you must do this to graduate). It drove me nuts how much I had not actually formed an opinion on or really thought about. One kept leading to another I thought I would never get it done.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief