Orthodox Bishop Hilarion and Universal Reconciliation

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
DT1138
Re: Orthodox Bishop Hilarion and Universal Reconciliation

Post by DT1138 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:[
The similarity to Buddhism actually makes sense because I remember reading in one of my textbooks that Mahayana Buddhism was heavily influenced by Nestorian Christianity (and probably vice versa). I wonder if the apatheia was something picked up from the stoics. Anyways thank you for the info.
Stoicism heavily influenced early Christianity, along with Neo-Platonism; both provided the language and philosophical categories to give to their thinking, because on its own Christianity is a narrative, not a metaphysics . Whereas Roman Catholicism was influenced more by Aristotle and his ideas about virtue. I don't think the resemblence of Orthodoxy to eastern religion is due to direct interchange with Buddhism; it is more likely due to a a focus on human spiritual experience more than speculation, which both religions share in common, as well as the fact that both originated in eastern cultural mindsets. Orthodox, like Buddhists, have an apophatic approach to questions of absolute truth, at least in theory. And Neo-Platonism in some ways is more mystical than Aristotilian Scholasticism, which focuses alot on understanding reality through appearances of material things, whereas Neo-Platonism, like Buddhism, believes that detachment from the material world leads to knowledge of the absolute. Orthodoxy describes the senses, faculties, and mind of humanity as darkened by the Fall, so it distrusts the world of appearances. Indeed, its not totally unknown for an Orthodox saint or writer to describe the mundane world as illusory, with things like icons giving insight into the true reality of the world (despite looking surreal) or Christ being the true reality.

From what I read, most scholars believe that Mahayana Buddhism emerged as a lay-focused reform movement desiring to embody the Buddha's teachings expediently in a devotional religious guise; an appeal to the heart more than the headiness and life-negating qualities of much of the Buddhist schools that would later become Theravada. It didn't begin due to Christian influence. If anything it may have been influenced by Zoroastrianism. It is disputed whether Theravada Buddhism is closer to the original Buddha's teachings, some critical scholars deny the Theravadan claims. Many early Buddhist schools died before any canons were ever written down. It is possible that the female image of Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva (who was previously male), was adopted from an image of the Virgin Mary due to interaction with eastern, non-Chalcedonian Christians; on the other hand the Lotus Sutra mentions Avalokiteshvara (Guanyin in Chinese) appearing in whatever guise is expedient, so it may be totally unrelated (Mahasthamaprapta or Ta Shih Chi, embodying the wisdom and strength of the Buddha, is also female in east Asian Buddhism).

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:14 am

the two churches were one chruch until what? 1054? they had a lot of overlapp form the beginning.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Metacrock wrote: the two churches were one chruch until what? 1054? they had a lot of overlapp form the beginning.
Wondered what would have happened if the eastern empire hadn't lost so much power? would there have been more influence from the east, would the pope be far less powerful?
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:33 am

not that this has anything to do with the issue, but we used to have a friend in the CADRE and he posted on all my boars from the first one to the one before this one.

He called himself "Hilarious" and was running for Pope. that was his gag. He could tolerate infinite amounts of insults from atheists. he posted on hate boards where he was the only Christian who would dare go on there and never say thing insulting that wasn't so subtle they couldn't be sure they were being insulted.

He was an old guy. From England he made his fortune as a VP for Australasia's Holden Car company. Very well educated and very erudite. he loved cathedrals and was a good friend. He was old, I'm sure he's dead now. He was last heard from after a stroke he couldn't control his emotions on message boards anymoer.

I think of him looking at the title of this thread.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Huh that would have been interesting to meet him.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:Huh that would have been interesting to meet him.
He was a neat guy. I suspect he's dead. Last contact I had around 2008 he was going into the hospital and had a close call. He was up in his 80's.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Metacrock wrote: the two churches were one chruch until what? 1054? they had a lot of overlapp form the beginning.
true, but I imagine that they grew apart. Not to mention the emperor and the patriarch really didn't appreciate the papacy.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
true, but I imagine that they grew apart. Not to mention the emperor and the patriarch really didn't appreciate the papacy.
It's hard to separate the power struggle from the doctrine and really know which was the actual cause and which the excuse.