Knowledge of God in Islam

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
QuantumTroll
Re: Knowledge of God in Islam

Post by QuantumTroll » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:25 am

sgttomas wrote:
QuantumTroll wrote:I've got a couple of things for you. One is a short story, written but in need of revision, which I hope to release next week (edit: here!). It's fantasy, set in a different universe than ours, but it deals with universal (omniversal?) questions of faith, doubt, meaning, and loss.
I really liked this story. I found it an open and honest assessment of our experience of things. I can relate directly to the characters involved, and I think that this inner experience is a defining characteristic of humanity.
I'm stoked that you responded so positively. Writing that was a trip (like a "journey", but short). I put a lot of myself in both the main characters, and landed in such a right funk after the first day's writing that it took real effort and several false starts to even get close to writing an ending. I got completely stuck trying to make Robert feel better about the situation, even though that had been the goal from the beginning.
There is also some delicious irony in a fiction story that is literally about the interplay of narrative and theology. :)

Her is where things really peaked for me:

“Is it meaningful?” he began, “This searching for literary devices? Aren’t we just picking out patterns in meaningless chaos? Confirming only the things that fit the pattern we seek, ignoring or denying all the things that don’t? How do you know that the Scribe is real?”

“Does a mathematician ascribe geometric forms to the natural world merely according to how she sees, or does the natural world actually follow those forms? Or is it something in between?”

And you introduced another great theme here:

“I see what you’re thinking, but it doesn’t work that way. For one, you can’t break character. For another, there’s always a story. I think abandoning Iria would be your undoing, and only make her death more certain.”

....which addresses the conundrum of God's foreknowledge and the reality of fate.

And what would we do without a resounding sense of metaphysical dread about fate and God in light of suffering in the world:

As for myself, I knew that I would lie sleepless that night and question why an all-powerful creator would prioritize a riveting story above the life of a little girl and her father’s love.

This definitely leaves me curious about The Scribe and how this narrative structure became established into a religion! :) What you should do to really challenge yourself is to write one of the characters as a true believer, and try to explore this in equally open and honest way. Is it all just pattern recognition? You left this question open, though the character we see from the first-person perspective doesn't really know how to answer it. How do you see the character evolving?
I'm definitely interested in writing more in this universe, and almost definitely with Father Quentin. I don't see him ever answering the fundamental question, because it's not epistemologically possible for an in-universe character to know whether they can influence God through writing (*cough* prayer *cough*). He will never grow to accept God's values, who seems to put people through painful trials for some unfathomable reason. Still, he sees the good that he can do in reconciling people with God's mysterious ways and in showing people the larger, more meaningful context in which their suffering takes place. So Quentin definitely believes in God, but despite (or because of?) his erudition and expertise, he doesn't understand.

Even the most ardent of believers will admit that prayer can't do everything, e.g. replace amputated limbs. In Scribe-world, the limitations are that the story must stick to established literary rules, including internal consistency. Prayer, it seems, can only accomplish things that appear consistent (albeit unusual) with the natural course of events.

The future story ideas that are floating around my mind mostly center around the sort of reasoning that would be possible in a world governed by literary rules. I'm also interested in how Quentin's view compares with a "true believer's" view, if it actually matters that Quentin doesn't believe in the real power of "prayer". To explore that, I'm considering a story where Quentin and a younger initiate (who believes) travel out to deal with a particular situation that's come up. How will the initiate's reactions and decisions be different from the older, more cynical man's? It's an interesting question.

Quantum Troll wrote:The other thing is, unfortunately, the age-old protest of atheists: what makes your faith special? You've touched upon this in the claim that the Quran describes God in a way that is consistent with your axioms.
Well, I told you about that though. It's that "little matter" I spoke about ("The only issue at stake here is the trouble with defining a set of criteria to distinguish divine messages from profane ones.")
Aha, my bad for forgetting that key "detail"!
My interpretation may or may not be interesting to you. I didn't really explain myself here, and for a reason. While my desire to convey the beauty of Islam and invite people to it is a central driver in my life, what I see in our contemporary culture is a complete lack of language that properly articulates what I mean by "God" in this essay. So many ways and places we see "God" used. ....have people asked for an inspected one another's definition for this term?

It isn't just God. We have real trouble in giving an account of knowledge and reality in a self-consistent manner. If we can't do that, well then why are we rushing ahead to explore the religions that are supposed to be based on knowledge and reality???
Hmm, well, since everyone is free to define their own set of distinguishing criteria (within reason), do you agree with my claim that your argument is very universal?
Quantum Troll wrote:I would charge that it is your interpretation of the Quran that is consistent with your axioms. Other people's interpretations are not necessarily consistent with those axioms. Moreover, I claim that there are interpretations of the Bible and other religious and secular (!) texts and schools of thought that are consistent with your axioms. Therefore, I would say that the Quran isn't special in itself. Other traditions are equally special to other people. In my opinion, in order to maintain intellectual honesty, your discussion must include (and preferably conclude with) this reality.

((Another way to look at this is to turn things around. It is immediately obvious that people all around the world have experiences of God and faiths that are (to them) meaningful and (sufficiently) self-consistent. If the axioms you've listed are to be meaningful, then it must be possible to map this variety of God conceptions to those axioms. Assuming that this is the case (i.e. assuming both you haven't made the axioms too restrictive and that we can construct this mapping), then we can turn things back around and see that your axioms actually lead in all kinds of directions, not only Islam.

Hmm, in writing the previous paragraph I realized that it resembles circular reasoning, but I'll leave it, albeit inside these apologetic double parentheses.))
Well, I'd like you to unpack this circularity a bit more. If you look back at our original essay, the words "circular reasoning" and "recursive knowledge" came up there too. The appearance of some kind of circularity is not something I try to avoid - in other words, the recursion of knowledge is something I specifically structured. Our awareness informs our selection of axioms and this in turn informs our awareness. It's a rather awkward state of affairs, but when dealt with properly, it opens up very productive avenues of thought.

One thing I will say, however, is that the particular attribute of "The God" that I lay out in this essay do impose some exclusive domains. By analogy, we would say that defining a circle precludes it from being a square, so too can I rightfully say that "The God" excludes other deities from consideration. This isn't an exclusion by preference but by necessity. I agree that one does not have to adopt this definition for "The Creator", but I believe I am justified in saying that any competing claims to Creation need to be help up to mine for comparison. If "The Creator" is a justified attribute of "The God" that I lay out here, then it is a necessary attribute of that which exclusively accounts for existence and everything in it. Hence the expression "there is no god but Allah". It isn't a claim of hubris, it's an expression of the comprehensiveness of "The God" in comparison to other powers and beings that stake claim to existence and independence.

Having said that, I am not closing off as many avenues of inquiry as it may seem at first. The non-God world is a distinct, valid option in my essay. A lot can be accomplished there.

....tons more I hope we can get into, but I have to cut this off here for now.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Hehe, there's a reason I left the circular reasoning, and you pointed right at it! It's difficult to formulate sensibly, but my intuition is that there's some value in self-consistent circular reasoning if the reasoning bears some resemblance to observed reality...

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:39 pm

QuantumTroll wrote: I'm stoked that you responded so positively. Writing that was a trip (like a "journey", but short). I put a lot of myself in both the main characters, and landed in such a right funk after the first day's writing that it took real effort and several false starts to even get close to writing an ending. I got completely stuck trying to make Robert feel better about the situation, even though that had been the goal from the beginning.
That's really interesting. ...why do you think that happened? I know that's a really personal question. I guess, I'm asking because it often happens to me too....probably lots of people with a certain disposition.
QuantumTroll wrote: I'm definitely interested in writing more in this universe, and almost definitely with Father Quentin. I don't see him ever answering the fundamental question, because it's not epistemologically possible for an in-universe character to know whether they can influence God through writing (*cough* prayer *cough*). He will never grow to accept God's values, who seems to put people through painful trials for some unfathomable reason. Still, he sees the good that he can do in reconciling people with God's mysterious ways and in showing people the larger, more meaningful context in which their suffering takes place. So Quentin definitely believes in God, but despite (or because of?) his erudition and expertise, he doesn't understand.
Yeah, that makes sense. He's a good character to use a foil for others in their development :)
QuantumTroll wrote:Even the most ardent of believers will admit that prayer can't do everything, e.g. replace amputated limbs. In Scribe-world, the limitations are that the story must stick to established literary rules, including internal consistency. Prayer, it seems, can only accomplish things that appear consistent (albeit unusual) with the natural course of events.
Oh man, I really need the foundational story. GIVE ME THE SCRIBE!

lol
QuantumTroll wrote:The future story ideas that are floating around my mind mostly center around the sort of reasoning that would be possible in a world governed by literary rules. I'm also interested in how Quentin's view compares with a "true believer's" view, if it actually matters that Quentin doesn't believe in the real power of "prayer". To explore that, I'm considering a story where Quentin and a younger initiate (who believes) travel out to deal with a particular situation that's come up. How will the initiate's reactions and decisions be different from the older, more cynical man's? It's an interesting question.
That is also a classical element of religion and self-awareness / self-development. If we believe in something, what don't we show it in our inward and outward states by letting it transform us?

Makes me think of something. In Islam, there is a distinction made between people who genuinely follow the religion (i.e. not hypocrites) and those who *truly believe* in the religion. The former are people who do what they are supposed to (which actually includes believing in God and basic outward actions) and they are called "Muslims", the second are people who absorb what they are supposed to in order to transform themselves (which requires more than just believing in God, but taking on the religion in whole including the minutae of thought, feelings, and actions) and they are called "Mu-mins".

What takes a person from the former to the latter is given a lot of discussion in our religion.

I'm interested to see where you take this :)
QuantumTroll wrote: Hmm, well, since everyone is free to define their own set of distinguishing criteria (within reason), do you agree with my claim that your argument is very universal?
If I don't agree with you....do I have much ground to form a solid argument? ;) 8-)

Yes, actually this is THE universal archetype (for a created world). This is what I meant when I said that "believers" have a common basis for a worldview from which social convention may (or maybe not) branch, while "nonbelievers" are restricted to social convention (...lol....sorry, that's a really pathetic way of expressing it, but I guess I'm not in a particularly generous mood at the moment :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: )

The God-set is not linked to any particular religion, nor does it depend on any secret, specific history, or accidental discovery in order to be realized.

In Islamic theology, this basic God-set is distinguished from other attributes, which are deemed "secondary" (or those attributes which are only knowable because of specific revelation).

So it's possible that we should all start with the same God and the same approach to knowledge of God, and then we may find ourselves disagreeing. Traditionally this is more-or-less what Christians did, but recently there has been a massive (but not universal) shift to "secret" (inner) knowledge of Jesus to define God. My argument towards them is that this makes Christianity a purely secular thing, because they are restricted to social convention to agree upon basic principles about God.

But, yes, I am open to other religious expressions as genuine modes of thought about God, even if I'm not convinced that these other religions are currently the best template and authority for filling out the secondary attributes and the rest of religion.
Quantum Troll wrote:Hehe, there's a reason I left the circular reasoning, and you pointed right at it! It's difficult to formulate sensibly, but my intuition is that there's some value in self-consistent circular reasoning if the reasoning bears some resemblance to observed reality...
lol :geek:

Actually this is where I'm really....how do I put this? ....I've revisited this part of my argument for the better part of 8 years, each time finding more succinct expressions and new analogies, but even when I go back 2 or 3 iterations (thank you internet!) I still see a consistent thought process at work. So...I guess what I mean is that, I have tried to examine myself in this area, but I'm either suffering from a blindspot, or else this is more or less a satisfactory way of expressing reality.

When I began the Dr. BCS book (....what's a good way to refer to this??? OTOoO??? hah! awesome) he makes his intentions known pretty quickly that he's going to tackle this subject. And he does. And hopefully you can understand him even better than myself and point out ways I can improve in my expression of this weird phenomenon.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

met

Post by met » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm definitely interested in writing more in this universe, and almost definitely with Father Quentin. I don't see him ever answering the fundamental question, because it's not epistemologically possible for an in-universe character to know whether they can influence God through writing (*cough* prayer *cough*). He will never grow to accept God's values, who seems to put people through painful trials for some unfathomable reason. Still, he sees the good that he can do in reconciling people with God's mysterious ways and in showing people the larger, more meaningful context in which their suffering takes place. So Quentin definitely believes in God, but despite (or because of?) his erudition and expertise, he doesn't understand.
QT, good story. I enjoyed it.

The Father Quentin character especially interested me too. He reminded me of comments that "someone" - Zizek , I think? - made about organized religion. The lay believer can doubt or disbelieve because the institution will keep believing for him, but when breakdowns of belief happen to a minister, that's a different horse because if that comes to light, it suspends the rules & the whole system may start to break down. That kinda describes the tension in Father Quentin's sitch, his dilemma and pathos, and you captured it well....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

QuantumTroll

Post by QuantumTroll » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:48 am

sgttomas wrote:
QuantumTroll wrote: I'm stoked that you responded so positively. Writing that was a trip (like a "journey", but short). I put a lot of myself in both the main characters, and landed in such a right funk after the first day's writing that it took real effort and several false starts to even get close to writing an ending. I got completely stuck trying to make Robert feel better about the situation, even though that had been the goal from the beginning.
That's really interesting. ...why do you think that happened? I know that's a really personal question. I guess, I'm asking because it often happens to me too....probably lots of people with a certain disposition.
It's pretty simple, really. Empathy with a made-up character in a made-up situation. Being human is an odd sort of business.
QuantumTroll wrote:Even the most ardent of believers will admit that prayer can't do everything, e.g. replace amputated limbs. In Scribe-world, the limitations are that the story must stick to established literary rules, including internal consistency. Prayer, it seems, can only accomplish things that appear consistent (albeit unusual) with the natural course of events.
Oh man, I really need the foundational story. GIVE ME THE SCRIBE!
Oh shit, I honestly haven't even thought of this part. You're absolutely right, though. Ack! I don't have time for this, I'm still working on my just-for-fun science fiction novel. Hmm, actually, this is fine. The Scribe deserves to be treated well, better than I can currently manage. I'll keep it on the back burner for now, but I can see this taking off in a big way if I manage to get it just right.

QuantumTroll wrote:The future story ideas that are floating around my mind mostly center around the sort of reasoning that would be possible in a world governed by literary rules. I'm also interested in how Quentin's view compares with a "true believer's" view, if it actually matters that Quentin doesn't believe in the real power of "prayer". To explore that, I'm considering a story where Quentin and a younger initiate (who believes) travel out to deal with a particular situation that's come up. How will the initiate's reactions and decisions be different from the older, more cynical man's? It's an interesting question.
That is also a classical element of religion and self-awareness / self-development. If we believe in something, what don't we show it in our inward and outward states by letting it transform us?

Makes me think of something. In Islam, there is a distinction made between people who genuinely follow the religion (i.e. not hypocrites) and those who *truly believe* in the religion. The former are people who do what they are supposed to (which actually includes believing in God and basic outward actions) and they are called "Muslims", the second are people who absorb what they are supposed to in order to transform themselves (which requires more than just believing in God, but taking on the religion in whole including the minutae of thought, feelings, and actions) and they are called "Mu-mins".

What takes a person from the former to the latter is given a lot of discussion in our religion.
That's fantastic, honestly. The same phenomenon appears in probably all religions and belief structures (e.g. environmentalism). Not to be a dick, but these are the actual Moomins ;)

QuantumTroll wrote: Hmm, well, since everyone is free to define their own set of distinguishing criteria (within reason), do you agree with my claim that your argument is very universal?
If I don't agree with you....do I have much ground to form a solid argument? ;) 8-)

Yes, actually this is THE universal archetype (for a created world). This is what I meant when I said that "believers" have a common basis for a worldview from which social convention may (or maybe not) branch, while "nonbelievers" are restricted to social convention (...lol....sorry, that's a really pathetic way of expressing it, but I guess I'm not in a particularly generous mood at the moment :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: )

The God-set is not linked to any particular religion, nor does it depend on any secret, specific history, or accidental discovery in order to be realized.

In Islamic theology, this basic God-set is distinguished from other attributes, which are deemed "secondary" (or those attributes which are only knowable because of specific revelation).

So it's possible that we should all start with the same God and the same approach to knowledge of God, and then we may find ourselves disagreeing. Traditionally this is more-or-less what Christians did, but recently there has been a massive (but not universal) shift to "secret" (inner) knowledge of Jesus to define God. My argument towards them is that this makes Christianity a purely secular thing, because they are restricted to social convention to agree upon basic principles about God.

But, yes, I am open to other religious expressions as genuine modes of thought about God, even if I'm not convinced that these other religions are currently the best template and authority for filling out the secondary attributes and the rest of religion.
Alrighty then :)
Quantum Troll wrote:Hehe, there's a reason I left the circular reasoning, and you pointed right at it! It's difficult to formulate sensibly, but my intuition is that there's some value in self-consistent circular reasoning if the reasoning bears some resemblance to observed reality...
lol :geek:

Actually this is where I'm really....how do I put this? ....I've revisited this part of my argument for the better part of 8 years, each time finding more succinct expressions and new analogies, but even when I go back 2 or 3 iterations (thank you internet!) I still see a consistent thought process at work. So...I guess what I mean is that, I have tried to examine myself in this area, but I'm either suffering from a blindspot, or else this is more or less a satisfactory way of expressing reality.

When I began the Dr. BCS book (....what's a good way to refer to this??? OTOoO??? hah! awesome) he makes his intentions known pretty quickly that he's going to tackle this subject. And he does. And hopefully you can understand him even better than myself and point out ways I can improve in my expression of this weird phenomenon.
I'll try to keep this in mind as I trudge through otOoO. I'm afraid there may not be a good way of expressing these things — consider a philosophical analogue of quantum mechanics. We might be in serious trouble here.

QuantumTroll

Post by QuantumTroll » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:01 am

met wrote: QT, good story. I enjoyed it.

The Father Quentin character especially interested me too. He reminded me of comments that "someone" - Zizek , I think? - made about organized religion. The lay believer can doubt or disbelieve because the institution will keep believing for him, but when breakdowns of belief happen to a minister, that's a different horse because if that comes to light, it suspends the rules & the whole system may start to break down. That kinda describes the tension in Father Quentin's sitch, his dilemma and pathos, and you captured it well....
Great! I'm really glad :)

This may not be news to you, but there are a number of priests/pastors in the Swedish Church (our Lutheran branch) who are openly nonbelievers. They don't subscribe to the divinity of Jesus, but they feel that the church allows them to help people in a unique way. Father Quentin would be like them if he lived here and now, and he'd be less conflicted. The effect on lay believers is hard to characterise, I've read comments of people who like the fact that the church is open to employing non-believers, as well as reports of people leaving the Swedish church for more conservative alternatives.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm

QuantumTroll wrote:It's pretty simple, really. Empathy with a made-up character in a made-up situation. Being human is an odd sort of business.
:D
QuantumTroll wrote:Oh shit, I honestly haven't even thought of this part. You're absolutely right, though. Ack! I don't have time for this, I'm still working on my just-for-fun science fiction novel. Hmm, actually, this is fine. The Scribe deserves to be treated well, better than I can currently manage. I'll keep it on the back burner for now, but I can see this taking off in a big way if I manage to get it just right.
That's okay...even from just general politeness, I'd say you have at least 2.5 years to get back to me on this one....given how long I left you hanging on this essay here that I promised.

:mrgreen:

QuantumTroll wrote:That's fantastic, honestly. The same phenomenon appears in probably all religions and belief structures (e.g. environmentalism). Not to be a dick, but these are the actual Moomins ;)
wow. I can't really type "ROFL" with enough vigor to convey to you how hard I laughed when I opened that link.

Moomins. That's a good one :) lol

QuantumTroll wrote:I'll try to keep this in mind as I trudge through otOoO. I'm afraid there may not be a good way of expressing these things — consider a philosophical analogue of quantum mechanics. We might be in serious trouble here.
Well...please let me know your thoughts!!!! Much appreciated.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

met

Post by met » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 pm

ST, okay, I'm feeling ready. Let's go. Does Thomas James's definition/description of a God from the other thread still work for you here?
. God is the ground of being. Or, we might just as well say that God is that which renders the world absolutely contingent. If being grounded itself, then it would be necessary. If it were necessary, there would be no dynamism to being, or else its dyna- mism would simply be the necessary unfolding of its potential being (Hegel). But, to say that God is ground is to deny the status of ground to any entity or set of entities within the universe and also of course to deny such status to the universe as a whole. Conversely, it is to say that God is onto- logically indifferent to any particular configuration of being including the universe as a whole. Thus, in effect, God’s grounding un-grounds the universe. As un-grounding ground, God is both the ontological support of being and the primordial menace to its configurations, whether they are regional or universal.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:51 pm

met wrote:ST, okay, I'm feeling ready. Let's go. Does Thomas James's definition/description of a God from the other thread still work for you here?
. God is the ground of being. Or, we might just as well say that God is that which renders the world absolutely contingent. If being grounded itself, then it would be necessary. If it were necessary, there would be no dynamism to being, or else its dyna- mism would simply be the necessary unfolding of its potential being (Hegel). But, to say that God is ground is to deny the status of ground to any entity or set of entities within the universe and also of course to deny such status to the universe as a whole. Conversely, it is to say that God is onto- logically indifferent to any particular configuration of being including the universe as a whole. Thus, in effect, God’s grounding un-grounds the universe. As un-grounding ground, God is both the ontological support of being and the primordial menace to its configurations, whether they are regional or universal.
Heh...um....at the risk of sounding egotistical, is there something wrong with addressing the definition that I took the time to carve out in this essay?

There are some neat sentences in that paragraph. There are also some strange words.

Here's something that I really appreciated about Meillesoux's book: he recognized that matter is important and holds clues to escaping from our constant naval-gazing.

One part of my definition that is absolutely critical is to have both a rigorous means of definition (formal sets) and to incorporate thermodynamics (state) as a way to escape from language itself, before re-engaging the subject. A lot of philosophy deals with the material universe but doesn't define what the universe is. I think many philosophers try to use Special Relativity or Quantum Mechanics as some sort of basic fact about the world, but this is TERRIBLY problematic.

The material universe is a state-transition, or put differently: a set of properties that have a mathematical relationship defining two distinct subsets. Then we can start to work with a concept of Absolute, because there is a rigorous definition for what we will *arbitrarily* call The Contingency. I have tried to stick to this when referring to the Absolute. Maybe out of habit or laziness I let something else creep in.

Thoughts?

Peace,
-sgttomas

met

Post by met » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 am

sgttomas wrote:
met wrote:ST, okay, I'm feeling ready. Let's go. Does Thomas James's definition/description of a God from the other thread still work for you here?
Heh...um....at the risk of sounding egotistical, is there something wrong with addressing the definition that I took the time to carve out in this essay?

There are some neat sentences in that paragraph. There are also some strange words.

Thoughts?

Peace,
-sgttomas

I couldn't see how 'ungrounded ground' etc was compatible with your axiomatization. But you showed SO-O-O-O much enthusiasm for that quote on the other thread and I was wondering how on earth your axioms would be derived or stand alongside it?

You're going, i think, for something a bit more grounded, "grounding,"and traditional?
."Only transcendence, which suspends things…suspends them also in the sense of upholding their relative worth—over against the void.” John Millbanks
Dr Ward Blanton

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 am

We should not assume any attachment to the word God, and any prior meanings need to be suspended because it is necessary to axiomatically define the subject. After the axioms are presented, we will discuss the set of objects, or the object, that is represented by the domain of knowledge it encompasses. Language is not an objective structure, but objective structures are meaningless. Only subjective and self-referential judgments can acquire meaning. This is the reason why, I believe, the language of God must always be updated to the contemporary mode of thinking, culture, and natural language. However, language is not totally unconstrained. It acquires an intersubjective meaning between persons and also within the relations to other terms. If this were not the case, then a dictionary would not be possible, however, if language were something objective then dictionaries would never have to be updated and language wouldn’t have a history.
All language of God must be consistent with the following axioms. These are not rationally derived claims about reality, rather they are arbitrarily defined statements that other statements must be consistent with. No claim about the existence of such an object, or the meaningfulness of such a subject is claimed or implied apriori.
Will you play along with me? This is just a meaningless game we can both agree to play. Who knows where it might lead? :)

It's a path we can start down. Are you going to play along?

Peace,
-sgttomas