Thought about Nontheistic Christianity

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
ChumpChange
Re: Thought about Nontheistic Christianity

Post by ChumpChange » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Wow. Sometimes the spelling on this board is so bad I feel dyslexic. Its hard to read when half the words are spelled backwards. Im not sure if im understanding the topic here. YouWish if you are saying that you dont believe in a personal God then you cannot be a christian. Thats like me saying that I dont eat vegetables but Im a vegetarian. Also in my opinion you cannot be a christian if you dont believe that god created the universe and all the life in it and/or dont believe that Jesus performed miracles. Maybe Im way off topic here.
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

-Ecclesiastes 7:29

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:29 pm

WELL, as to spelling,I am Dyslexic,and so is Metzcrock...

Thnks for remindign me, Ineed ot do those thigns on Spong.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:11 am

ChumpChange wrote:Wow. Sometimes the spelling on this board is so bad I feel dyslexic. Its hard to read when half the words are spelled backwards. Im not sure if im understanding the topic here. YouWish if you are saying that you dont believe in a personal God then you cannot be a christian. Thats like me saying that I dont eat vegetables but Im a vegetarian. Also in my opinion you cannot be a christian if you dont believe that god created the universe and all the life in it and/or dont believe that Jesus performed miracles. Maybe Im way off topic here.
Thats all we need, a School Marm to correct our spelling? Christ came to save the good spellers ay?

Haz.

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Hazard wrote:
ChumpChange wrote:Wow. Sometimes the spelling on this board is so bad I feel dyslexic. Its hard to read when half the words are spelled backwards. Im not sure if im understanding the topic here. YouWish if you are saying that you dont believe in a personal God then you cannot be a christian. Thats like me saying that I dont eat vegetables but Im a vegetarian. Also in my opinion you cannot be a christian if you dont believe that god created the universe and all the life in it and/or dont believe that Jesus performed miracles. Maybe Im way off topic here.
Thats all we need, a School Marm to correct our spelling? Christ came to save the good spellers ay?

Haz.
Ha.Ha. Very Funny. Sorry, I didnt mean to offend anyone, I figured you just typed so fast that words get mispelled. My apologies.
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:06 pm

ZAROVE wrote:WELL, as to spelling,I am Dyslexic,and so is Metzcrock...

Sorry Dude, no harm intended. At least you have an excuse Im just a flat out horrible speller naturally. :)
Thank God for spell checker!

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 pm

Hazard wrote:

Haz.

you tell em Haz! :mrgreen:
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 pm

ChumpChange wrote:
ZAROVE wrote:WELL, as to spelling,I am Dyslexic,and so is Metzcrock...

Sorry Dude, no harm intended. At least you have an excuse Im just a flat out horrible speller naturally. :)
Thank God for spell checker!

I got firefox what more do you want?

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:49 am

Hazard wrote:
Metacrock wrote:
Hazard wrote:Meta said"yea, you got it! I really appreciate you Wordgazer. You always dig what I say. The term "father" is an analogical term. God is like and not like a father. all "likeness" also contains "no like" or it wouldn't' make sense. So we must be aware of both the positive likeness and the merely metaphorical nature of metaphors"

Can't say i agree with this mate. All this is truly getting over my head but I think I do know what the word Father means in Scripture. In Matt. 28:19 and 1 John 5:7-8 the names The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost are mentioned. These are not just mere titles. The dictionary and grammer teaches us that such words are "nouns" or "substantives" and that all such nouns are names. It is true that not all such names are are always propper names, of certain individuals, but usage in any particular instance shows whether a word becomes a "proper name" or not. In Matt 28:19 it is not just any father or any son or any holy ghost, but it is definately a particular "Father" and "Son" and "Holy Ghost."The definate article "the" is used in both the Greek and English versions before each word. It is "the Father," and "the Son," and "The Holy Ghost." These terms thus used and associated can apply to no other persons on Earth or in Heaven. The term "the Father," in the new testament is not once applied to men or to Christ or to the Holy Ghost, but only and always to the first person of the Godhead, "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 11:31; Ephesians 1:3; Eph. 3:14; Coll. 1:3).

Haz.

now get me wrong. I am not saying God isn't the father. I'm just saying our idea of a father is is basically centered around our experiences of earthly fathers. and God, while being very like a father, is much more than that.
Yes, I agree He is Father, and much more than that. According to all the Scriptures I have found He is "Father" and He is also the Father of Jesus Christ our Lord. He is the Father of all things. And that is His name; "Father." His name is "Father," rather than Bill, Jesus's Father. Know what I mean?

Kinda like; "Who's on first?" I just told you, "Who's, on first." Who? Yes, thats right, Who, Who's on first!," Yes. I mean the fellow's name? "Who." The guy on first. "Who."

Haz.
Don't you think that some people whose earthy father had a detrimental effect on them find that the word, ‘father’, gives them a negative image of God? My Dad was a great father but for those who had a tyrant, wouldn’t get the same feeling of it as I do, I would guess… :?
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 am

Unread said: Don't you think that some people whose earthy father had a detrimental effect on them find that the word, ‘father’, gives them a negative image of God? My Dad was a great father but for those who had a tyrant, wouldn’t get the same feeling of it as I do, I would guess… :?
I supposes so. my Dad was a great guy too. A wonderful guy. But the idea of the father has been so maligned since the 90s. All fathers on tv shows now are idiots, bumbling boobs who can't think. Like Ray Romano or the father of Ray Romano. I really hate that. the whole clture has accepted male bashing as a matter of course.

To be thought of as a Man in America today you must be seen as a butt scrtaching belching fool who hates books and has never read one, and who can't think. A loudmouth ass who has never thought about anything in his life.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Hmm....shame that youwish never posted back in this topic.

Fwiw, I see a lot of my own struggles/path in his words.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")