the web of Jesus' historicity

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
The Pixie
Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Post by The Pixie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am

Here is an article by a Christian who I largely agree with with regards to the events surrounding the supposed resurrection.
While Paul provides a neatly organized interpretation that most Christians abide by today, most educated Christians also know that careful reading of the actual resurrection accounts shows that they differ in a variety of ways, and therefore cannot be viewed as inerrant, or even reliable in a court of law. They differ in significant facts like who was there, what happened, when he was crucified and ascended, where did Jesus go after rising, and why did they think he would resurrect. ...

One of the most interesting examples of the misunderstanding is from John 20:26 where it is recorded “Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them.” To the casual reader this is no big problem. But to the trained eye this is a huge problem. In one account they have Jesus eating and telling folks to physically put their fingers in his wounds. In other accounts Jesus is telling people not to touch him because he has not yet ascended. And here in John 20 we have Jesus walking through walls and locked doors. Sure, some apologists will try to account for how he could have gotten into that room because they know what a serious problem this is for their physical resurrection theory. But a close reading of the text shows that the adding of the line “the door was locked” illustrates the intent of the writer to show that he did not come through it physically. These three discrepancies (physical and touchable, physical but untouchable, or non physical) are trademarks of the early stages of physical resurrection legends being formed.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:53 pm

can you give me a source om that long quote?

we still have to distinguish between the epiphanies and the empty tomb, The empty tom is from the PMPN and is part of the original telling, The epiphanies are from different sources, So some might represent true accounts and some add on accounts.

One could harmonize the accounts by saying when he said for Mary not to touch him he had not ascended but when the told them to feel his wounds by that time he had. But it's not necessary account for all epiphanies, what matters is the original first telling included the empty tomb.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 am

Not sure why I did not give the link in my last post:
https://progressivechristianity.org/res ... -of-jesus/

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm

interestimg

SayaOtonashi

Post by SayaOtonashi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:08 am

My friend doesn't think Mary was real. That she was added later after the Bible

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm

SayaOtonashi wrote:My friend doesn't think Mary was real. That she was added later after the Bible
based upon what? I have evidence she was real. because there are shrines to her as early as mid first century, that;s almost living memory of ther life, that;s soon for myth,