THE One True Faith (TM)

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
sgttomas
THE One True Faith (TM)

Post by sgttomas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 pm

For the Monolith ;)

The one true religion: a person "surrendering their self" unto God*

Truth has no inconsistency, so a person earnestly searching for truth: the necessary and sufficient way of the world, must find unity in reality. Other than that, "God" is a matter of self-discovery. To "surrender one's self" is to act consistently with the truth that one is aware of. So truth and not being a hypocrite - belief and right actions - is the only true religion. And this kernal can grow and grow and grow. The degree to which it exists in harmony with other people's religion is a matter of how real a One True God is, or ought to be (given a more or less universal expression of truth). And there can be no compulsion in religion for this reason.

Peace be with you,
-sgttomas

*definition to be determined by the person
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

MonolithTMA

Re: THE One True Faith (TM)

Post by MonolithTMA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 pm

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.” Abraham Lincoln :mrgreen:
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:40 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.” Abraham Lincoln :mrgreen:
Rather astonishing how much can be said with so little!

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:54 pm

sgttomas wrote:
MonolithTMA wrote:“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.” Abraham Lincoln :mrgreen:
Rather astonishing how much can be said with so little!

Peace,
-sgttomas
Indeed! Sadly, it's not so astonishing that we muck it up and make it all complicated. ;)
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong