Immigrant scape-goating leads to violent riots

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

tinythinker
Immigrant scape-goating leads to violent riots

Post by tinythinker » Mon May 19, 2008 12:21 pm

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - A wave of xenophobic attacks escalated in South Africa’s seething townships on Monday, with mobs beating foreigners and setting some ablaze in scenes reminiscent of apartheid-era violence.

The unrest has killed at least 22 people since last week and increased political instability at a time South Africa is struggling with dire power shortages, rising inflation and growing disaffection among the poor over President Thabo Mbeki’s pro-business policies.

Police fired rubber bullets at rioters in communities around Johannesburg and in the central business district.

Armed with knives, clubs and jugs of gasoline, the mobs targeted mostly Zimbabweans and Mozambicans, the biggest groups among immigrants who are accused by the poor of taking jobs and fuelling the high rate of violent crime.

Women were raped, shops and homes looted and dozens of shacks burned to the ground. Scores have been arrested.

“This is a war,” said Lucas Zimila, a 60-year-old Mozambican man who was attacked by a machete-wielding mob while sleeping in his shack in Tembisa, north of Johannesburg, on Sunday night.

“They screamed at me to get out, that I didn’t belong here. Then they burned everything in my house,” said Zimila, who suffered a five-inch gash in his head...

full article at MSNBC.com
Adrift in the endless river