Ryan, Romney and the Veil of Opulence

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: Ryan, Romney and the Veil of Opulence

Post by Metacrock » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:45 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:By the way, I'm in China, so my posts will get a little less frequent.
too bad. the board is such a low eb. but I'm hoping things go well for you there.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:09 am

Metacrock wrote:I can see it being used that way. I can't see ever really supporting slaughter.
What if its in self defence? Then again i guess you would probably then try to make that group surrendur or run away.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:I can see it being used that way. I can't see ever really supporting slaughter.
What if its in self defence? Then again i guess you would probably then try to make that group surrendur or run away.
how you going to use slaughter in self defense? A preemptive strike? Is that really self defense or paranoia?

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:01 am

Metacrock wrote:how you going to use slaughter in self defense? A preemptive strike? Is that really self defense or paranoia?
I was more thinking along the line of facing a massive invasion/migration. Like in the days of the roman empire. What if a large barbarian coalition tried to invade in order to find a source for food and a new home. What if this culture has genocidal tendencies? I'm thinking Marcus Aurelius when invaded by the Marcommani.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:how you going to use slaughter in self defense? A preemptive strike? Is that really self defense or paranoia?
I was more thinking along the line of facing a massive invasion/migration. Like in the days of the roman empire. What if a large barbarian coalition tried to invade in order to find a source for food and a new home. What if this culture has genocidal tendencies? I'm thinking Marcus Aurelius when invaded by the Marcommani.
I sure hope we are not near that point yet. Can you really Jesus prescribing slaughter?

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:32 am

Metacrock wrote:I sure hope we are not near that point yet. Can you really Jesus prescribing slaughter?
Not really no, though he seemed to lean more towards pacifism. However,I noticed we haven't truly defined slaughter. Furthermore, I might want to look for other examples in history. Marcus just is a good example of a good man (in general) forced to do terrible things.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:59 am

In this situation it may be better that we add some virtue ethics into this. The best way to deal with such a situation is to have enough "phrenosis" as a virtue to be able to deal with your problem without committing such an act. Practical wisdom can often show alternative paths in order to avoid false choices.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:39 pm

that's good idea Miles. ON an unrelated note. Obama was on Letterman last night. it was pretty good.