Why China Lacks Gangnam Style

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock

Re: Why China Lacks Gangnam Style

Post by Metacrock » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 am

I have no idea what that's talking about
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:36 pm

"Export your culture." Good idea. Look at India - they've done it to great advantage, exported "Bollywood" effectively. :idea:
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:40 pm

We need to do that here too, fleet. Do you think we could convince the world that Canadian girls in mukluks are the sexiest women on the whole planet? :oops:
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

fleetmouse

Post by fleetmouse » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Metacrock wrote:
Jeez guy, how can you be on the internet and not know about Gangnam Style.

http://youtu.be/9bZkp7q19f0

Too much time arguing with the spuds on carm, not enough time watching Korean pop videos.

Speaking of spuds and pop culture, have you seen the animated version of The Dark Knight Returns?

fleetmouse

Post by fleetmouse » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:14 pm

met wrote:"Export your culture." Good idea. Look at India - they've done it to great advantage, exported "Bollywood" effectively. :idea:
I don't think I've seen an entire Bollywood movie. I've seen Slumdog Millionaire that borrows the style, and some music videos excerpted from the movies. Recommendations?
met wrote:We need to do that here too, fleet. Do you think we could convince the world that Canadian girls in mukluks are the sexiest women on the whole planet? :oops:
No, we're keeping that particular secret in the igloo.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:52 pm

fleetmouse wrote:
Metacrock wrote:
Jeez guy, how can you be on the internet and not know about Gangnam Style.

http://youtu.be/9bZkp7q19f0

Too much time arguing with the spuds on carm, not enough time watching Korean pop videos.

Speaking of spuds and pop culture, have you seen the animated version of The Dark Knight Returns?

no I like the late silver early Bronze age Bayman but not he "darkages." in the early 70s he was dark and gritty without being absurd.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:28 pm

fleetmouse wrote: met wrote:"Export your culture." Good idea. Look at India - they've done it to great advantage, exported "Bollywood" effectively. :idea:

I don't think I've seen an entire Bollywood movie. I've seen Slumdog Millionaire that borrows the style, and some music videos excerpted from the movies. Recommendations?
Classic (Raj Kapoor directed) movies (60's-70's):

Mera Nam Joker
(Bollywood's biggest flop, kind of Felliniesque.)

Bobby (Kapoor's immediate comeback after Mera Nam Joker & Bollywood's biggest hit...)

Laila Majnu (telling the classic love story - the East's version of Romeo & Juliet)

Modern (Popular) :
Omkara ("Gansta" retelling of Othello - kind of looks like La Femme, Nikita, but somewhat more roughly shot)

Modern, but more artsy:

(& so not really Bollywood... ) Indo-Canadian director, Deepa Mehta's Elements Triology: Earth, Fire,Water

... have fun! :)
Dr Ward Blanton

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 am

Sorry, fleet, I would love to comment on this article, but it seems that the Chinese internet has decided to make things difficult, as I cannot see the article. :mrgreen: ;)
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 pm

I know this is only marginally on-topic, but perhaps part of China's problem is that it is so fearful of losing control in any way. Here in my own hometown, Chinese officials visited our mayor and made veiled threats about losing Chinese "friendship" unless a private citizen who had put murals on his building supporting Tibetan and Taiwanese independence, were forced to take it down. The mayor, of course, told the Chinese officials what "free speech" was and sent them packing. Here's an article:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/tibet

It's not often that my little town makes international news, so we're justly proud of our David Lin, the local businessman who sponsored the murals. But I cannot see how China can experience real creativity so long as it remains so oppressive.
Wag more.
Bark less.