Climate Change

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: Climate Change

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 am

Magritte wrote:Mass Extinction Forecast With 6C Temperature Rise

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/mas ... e_20130110
they had a story on the local news last night about these pine trees in central Texas near Houston. They are called "lob lolly pines" they dont' exist anywhere else in the world. they got isolated from other pines like themselves and the others all went extinct so they were just growing in a clump about the size of a small town. Only pines like it in the world. The fires of two summers ago began burning them up and they almost all were destroyed.

The amazing thing is the State forest service had millions of seeds for that pine tree stored in refrigerators for decades. They were just sitting there and they decided to throw them away. But they drug their feet on it through laziness. They have been there three decades another week wont hurt. During the time they heard about the pine trees being destroyed by the fires and went and got the seeds and titrated re planting. they are going to plant them all over the place now.

If they had been a bit more gung ho that tree would be extinct. It's a drought resistant tree.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 pm

A fairly alarming piece by Chris Hedges. I think the world could use some more alarm over this.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the ... _20130113/
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Magritte wrote:A fairly alarming piece by Chris Hedges. I think the world could use some more alarm over this.

I agree. I think most of the world is alarmed over it. we in America are just off in our little world. I really really wish Canada wasn't so cold. I think I would like it there.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 am

Metacrock wrote:
Magritte wrote:A fairly alarming piece by Chris Hedges. I think the world could use some more alarm over this.

I agree. I think most of the world is alarmed over it. we in America are just off in our little world. I really really wish Canada wasn't so cold. I think I would like it there.
Montreal is known for being sweltering hot in the summer months. As hot as Texas? Probably not. We usually get some Arctic blasts in January too. Nice variety!

BTW, interesting fact - a lot of morons are using the "it's winter so climate change is a lie" line as they do every winter. This article from September predicted an especially harsh winter due to climate change:

http://grist.org/news/expect-a-colder-w ... -ice-melt/
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm

I know that. If you look at my posts you find that I sometimes call it "global weather fuck up." You don't read most of what I say. like you didn't read either of my long essays.

that is not proof that change wont be painful. As long as you don't have a study that says "change will cause no problem at all" we still have use risk taking analysis to defend the need for change.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Jees, I didn't post that to point fingers at you. I posted it as a helpful link, for when deniers use the "it's cold out" line as though climate science predicted that global warming meant it would never be cold anywhere ever again.

I like to use the line that the earth is not a ball bearing and it doesn't heat evenly.

The current deep freeze seems to be breaking now... there will be some warm days this week. Annoyingly, the warmest day will be above freezing when I'm supposed to go skating with my kid. It's an indoor arena though so the rink should hold up OK.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 am

Magritte wrote:Jees, I didn't post that to point fingers at you. I posted it as a helpful link, for when deniers use the "it's cold out" line as though climate science predicted that global warming meant it would never be cold anywhere ever again.

I like to use the line that the earth is not a ball bearing and it doesn't heat evenly.
sorry I'm just paranoid. practically everything I say on carm get's treated like 'O what a stupid idea, this guy is really nuts, how you possibly have been to college, you are just crazy. No one agrees with anything you say." then about five guys go "I can't spend all my time checking up on all the dishonesty and misconceptions in your posta."
The current deep freeze seems to be breaking now... there will be some warm days this week. Annoyingly, the warmest day will be above freezing when I'm supposed to go skating with my kid. It's an indoor arena though so the rink should hold up OK.
Yes, tornadoes are bigger. i don't know if that's proven to be caused by green house bases but I know it's theory and I'm betting that has a lot to do with it.

there's no way I can credit the other side with any intelligence. they are full of shit. I know it's a hell of a lot warmer now then it used to be. I can image that maybe the strength of storms is cyclical and the big deep freeze might be cyclical but I know damn well all my life it was was cold all the way through form October to March. Now we are having summer like weather in December. That summer of 2011 was worse than any summer since 1980. There's no denying it.

they have that stupid idea that global warming stopped 16 years ago. That PBS show indicated the kinds of tricks they pull to get those stats.