CCTV Chinese New Year Program

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
CCTV Chinese New Year Program

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 am

I have seen forced nationalism before, and I guess I kind of knew about the propaganda in China before, but man was it silly. Chinese New Year is basically the equivalent to our New Year and Christmas combined, with an emphasis on tradition and family. So what do the Government do, make a song with the navy to show off their "new" carrier. Or the songs for those abroad made to make them feel guilty about being abroad "I love you China, oh loving mother."

Also, Celine Dion was there for some reason as well as some other Canadian singer both singing in Chinese, not really sure why they were there but whatever. . . . .Actually the best parts were the Turkish dancers, they did this really cool trick with their knees. .....and they had belly dancers. My professor calls it "yanguizide biaoyan" 洋鬼子的表演 or the "Foreign Devil's performance" as a joke.

Other parts were some comedy skits that usually involve an insane amount of puns so that even if I could understand, I really didn't understand. Humor is hard to translate, according to the chinese I was with that was the best part.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

mdsimpson92

Re: CCTV Chinese New Year Program

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 am

No interest here?

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 pm

I was busy being a jackass in other threads. :mrgreen:

Patriotism looks pretty silly from the outside, doesn't it? Sometimes it looks silly from the inside too. Watch this and tell me it isn't silly, even as an American.

http://youtu.be/mZoxBLNYrWI
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:13 am

Magritte wrote:I was busy being a jackass in other threads. :mrgreen:

Patriotism looks pretty silly from the outside, doesn't it? Sometimes it looks silly from the inside too. Watch this and tell me it isn't silly, even as an American.

http://youtu.be/mZoxBLNYrWI
Oh, God yes. I apologize to the you and the rest of the world for that.

Then again, maybe because it is state sponsored and maybe because a lot of the nationalism I hear here is even worse than the one's I hear in the US.

With China, everywhere I look I see whatever problems and flaws magnified either due to scale of population, the control/propaganda of the government, or the sheer corruption in the government. I can't go a week without hearing about some abuse or complete screwing up of statistics (like GDP growth), or another case of corruption, or pollution. I still love this country for its history (and food) but damn!

Then again, maybe that is just the state and my country isn't one to criticize, to a point. ;)

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:No interest here?
I just saw it. sounds more like their version of the fourth of July. we do the same stuff. fireworks and the beach boys in front of the white house.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:No interest here?
I just saw it. sounds more like their version of the fourth of July. we do the same stuff. fireworks and the beach boys in front of the white house.
Nah, they have National Holiday (rough translation) for that. This is more like Christmas and New Years.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 am

Weary Americans Land Ship On Bright, Promising Shores Of China

http://www.theonion.com/articles/weary- ... hor,31283/
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 am

Ha! Nice.