Pope Francis being likable again.

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Pope Francis being likable again.

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/ ... 4H20130922
Cagliari has a youth unemployment rate of about 51 percent. The Sulcis area in the southwest of the island is threatened with more unemployment from the looming closures of the Carbosulcis coal mine and an aluminum smelter.

The pope made clear that his assessment was not limited to the local situation.

"It is not a problem of Italy and Europe ... It is the consequence of a world choice, of an economic system that brings about this tragedy, an economic system that has at its centre an idol which is called money," he said to the cheers of the crowd.

While Francis's predecessor Benedict also called for changes to economic systems, he was more likely to use dense intellectual language.

Francis, who as bishop of Buenos Aires sided with unemployed workers in their conflict with government austerity plans, ended his improvised speech with a prayer asking God to "give us work and teach us to fight for work".

Francis said he did not want the crowd to see him as a smiling "cordial manager of the Church who comes here and says to you 'have courage'".

He added: "I don't want this. I want this courage to come from inside me and push me to do everything I can as a pastor and a man."
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: Pope Francis being likable again.

Post by Metacrock » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:10 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/ ... 4H20130922
Cagliari has a youth unemployment rate of about 51 percent. The Sulcis area in the southwest of the island is threatened with more unemployment from the looming closures of the Carbosulcis coal mine and an aluminum smelter.

The pope made clear that his assessment was not limited to the local situation.

"It is not a problem of Italy and Europe ... It is the consequence of a world choice, of an economic system that brings about this tragedy, an economic system that has at its centre an idol which is called money," he said to the cheers of the crowd.

While Francis's predecessor Benedict also called for changes to economic systems, he was more likely to use dense intellectual language.

Francis, who as bishop of Buenos Aires sided with unemployed workers in their conflict with government austerity plans, ended his improvised speech with a prayer asking God to "give us work and teach us to fight for work".

Francis said he did not want the crowd to see him as a smiling "cordial manager of the Church who comes here and says to you 'have courage'".

He added: "I don't want this. I want this courage to come from inside me and push me to do everything I can as a pastor and a man."

that's great stuff man. How did that guy get picked? How'd they get it away from the JPII fans? those are conservative.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 pm

It might have to do with the fact that south america is making up a greater and greater portion of the Church. Plus you have that liberation theology going on there. Though seriously, guy comes across traditional but very non-judgmental.

Though it plays better politically as well. He focuses on what everyone wants among his flock (in general) while downgrading focus on social issues like gay marriage, thus broadening his appeal.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:00 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:It might have to do with the fact that south america is making up a greater and greater portion of the Church. Plus you have that liberation theology going on there. Though seriously, guy comes across traditional but very non-judgmental.

Though it plays better politically as well. He focuses on what everyone wants among his flock (in general) while downgrading focus on social issues like gay marriage, thus broadening his appeal.
He's right out of the ranks of liberation theology.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 am

sorry that piece is real campy. it's saying we hate the lib theo camp so we have to pretend that he's not connected to it. The thing is all these camps and so on are part of the taxonomy thing I"ve disused. when you are young (Ooooooo young!) you think sticking thinkers into categories and giving them labels is what it's all about. that is not what it's all about.

Nothing squirms out of a label as fast as a thinker with real ideas. here some schools of thought that are so amorphous you can't hold any of the members to the description perfectly.

existential
postmodern
constructivist
left wing
liberal
liberation theology
Derridian
gnostic
new age

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:29 am

Surprise! This pope is as much of a cunt as his predecessors.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/13/p ... r-martyrs/
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 am

Magritte wrote:Surprise! This pope is as much of a cunt as his predecessors.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/13/p ... r-martyrs/

That would be political to say we can't beatify them they were on the wrong political side. that doesn't mean he supports Franco. It's not making the side they died for true. They still died for their faith form their perspective.

"Raw" is a program of the WWE. I wont accept that as valid until you quote Smack Down. :mrgreen:

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Beatifying them and not beatifying them are both political acts. The question is, which political action do you want to take - the one that lends credibility to the Franco regime?
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 am

Magritte wrote:Beatifying them and not beatifying them are both political acts. The question is, which political action do you want to take - the one that lends credibility to the Franco regime?
The Catholics dont' think like you do. If he beatifies them that is not syaing "I like Franco." If he doesn't that's not necessarily doing so but if he says 'we can't do that because they were for the wrong guy' that's putting politics before serving God.

Put yourself in their shoes. they had every reason to believe that communism meant atheism. how could they know better? they didn't have a library much less the internet. What if we say that politics is as much a prat of serving God as preaching the Gospels. some day our politics get interpreted as fascist because of some machinations in the future we can't foresee. that would mean that all the things we do now for God are worthless some political situation might change.

It's for people who care about serving God to say who get's chosen as a good servant of God.