No thread on the #GOPshutdown?

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
No thread on the #GOPshutdown?

Post by Magritte » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Tsk tsk.

One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Re: No thread on the #GOPshutdown?

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm

It is basically a repeat of the 2010 scenario. Republicans holding the US economy (and consequently the world economy as well as two major free trade agreement negotiations) because they don't like Obamacare. They are already backing off like I thought they would likely do. They don't seem to understand that debt for a state does not work like a person's debt. My economic teachers are just annoyed more than anything. Nothing more than stupidity and grandstanding.

Also, it is good to hear from you again.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:35 am

is he back? good to see you again fleet!

Yes i have been holding my breath a lot. I did a blog piece on it.

it's just a classic care of rule or ruin. If we don't get our way we'll destroy the whole lot and no one can be in charge.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 pm

The very worst thing would be for Obama and Reid to give them any concessions whatsoever. If they do, the childish games will be validated and the shit will never end.

If and when they sit down to negotiate, the terms should be a 50% hike on the top marginal tax rate and a 50% hike on capital gains, a quadrupling of funding for public education, a tripling of food stamp programs and a trillion dollars (edit: annually) for infrastructure spending over the next 5 years. If they don't like it, declare martial law and have all Republican congressmen summarily executed. The world will stand and applaud.

btw: hi guys!

edit: sorry, those demands are unreasonable. What I meant was, double the top marginal tax rate and triple capital gains tax. Abolish payroll and sales tax, and impose a one dollar tax on all stock and financial instrument transactions - wave goodbye to high frequency trading and flash crashes - buy and hold, ladies and gentlemen.

More conditions to be added as I think of them.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

While, I don't think that will work due to 2010 census redistricting insulating Tea Party Republicans from a lot of the backlash. Making an opposite "extreme" policy might paradoxically make them more moderate as they may view that as the "lesser of two evils" Because the only way they have been definining themselves for the past 5 years is "whatever obama does sucks and is communism." If you forced them to see the real thing, their uneducated asses might get some perspective.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:12 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:While, I don't think that will work due to 2010 census redistricting insulating Tea Party Republicans from a lot of the backlash. Making an opposite "extreme" policy might paradoxically make them more moderate as they may view that as the "lesser of two evils" Because the only way they have been definining themselves for the past 5 years is "whatever obama does sucks and is communism." If you forced them to see the real thing, their uneducated asses might get some perspective.
the moron from our state, the son of the Batista guy, is acting the ship is sinking, he's frantick. He's acting like the commies coming over Alaska. They are almost to Palin's house.

I am hoping (1) this will all bit their asses in the mid terms (2) split their party. They will be calling each other names over it.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:08 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:While, I don't think that will work due to 2010 census redistricting insulating Tea Party Republicans from a lot of the backlash. Making an opposite "extreme" policy might paradoxically make them more moderate as they may view that as the "lesser of two evils" Because the only way they have been definining themselves for the past 5 years is "whatever obama does sucks and is communism." If you forced them to see the real thing, their uneducated asses might get some perspective.
i don't think anything in my post was extreme, except the martial law and summary executions. I especially endorse doubling (at least!) the top marginal income tax rate and tripling the capital gains rate. And the one dollar per trade tax is more than reasonable. Oh, and of COURSE you want to eliminate sales and payroll tax, two of the most regressive forces in American economics.

Oh, and scrap the ACA in favor of single payer healthcare.

It's time to stop letting the right drag the center to the right, so these reasonable ideas look extreme.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:14 am

Magritte wrote: i don't think anything in my post was extreme, except the martial law and summary executions. I especially endorse doubling (at least!) the top marginal income tax rate and tripling the capital gains rate. And the one dollar per trade tax is more than reasonable. Oh, and of COURSE you want to eliminate sales and payroll tax, two of the most regressive forces in American economics.
That's why I put "extreme" in quotations. Because Obama compromises so much without getting a deal down. The earlier republicans still needed to criticize him, so they went further right in order to gain political points. There primary goal for the past 4 years has been to undermine Obama, most other things are secondary. So, it goes with a kind of vicious cycle.

Sales taxes are based on a state by state basis if I remember correctly. some have them, some don't. Not entirely sure the federal government can actually do anything about that, maybe if it is between states.

Though in my opinion the tax code needs to be refined and simplified, with the loopholes closed. That would help stop distortion of the market. I have no problem with a higher marginal tax rate.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't know how much foresight we should expect form saints. We should expect some form congressmen. not anymore.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Well, it has gotten passed in the Senate...Now for the House.