Peace agreement for Ukraine

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Peace agreement for Ukraine

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... OU20140221

Thoughts and opinions?

It pretty much reduces the powers of the President and calls for early elections. However, the protesters aren't willing to disperse (understandably).
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Magritte

Re: Peace agreement for Ukraine

Post by Magritte » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Wouldn't get my hopes up. Thinking about Victor Yuschenko here... and Alexander Litvinenko. Russia plays to win.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 pm

My Ukrainian friends there want Yanukovich's head. However, his powers have been curtailed, his interior minister has been sacked, and his biggest rival will likely be released. What Putin can do is still hold the debt over their head. I think Yanukovich may be done. We shall see.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 pm

From what you know, how accurate is this primer from the WaPo?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... ed-to-ask/
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 am

It seems fairly accurate. Both of my Ukrainian friends can speak Russian, but identify themselves as Ukrainian. They are young students, so naturally they are more pro-EU anyways.

Anyways, it looks like Yanukovich has been ousted. At least in the capital and the West. He has declared it a "coup." Though fortunately the military has stated that they will not get involved. Thank goodness.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... OU20140222

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:52 am

I am really out of it on their politics. I know Putin is a dictator. I know he has a hand in their pie and that's part of their beef. Pardon food metaphors.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:42 am

I felt like I understood Putin just a tiny bit better after reading this article:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/12/i_love_ ... ssian_men/

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Magritte wrote:I felt like I understood Putin just a tiny bit better after reading this article:

That was interesting. I'm still curious as to Putin's general reaction to the fact that his influence in the Western Ukraine is basically gone. What I do fear is the possibility that Eastern Ukraine may end up taken over by Russia or split off into its own country.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Magritte wrote:I felt like I understood Putin just a tiny bit better after reading this article:

That was interesting. I'm still curious as to Putin's general reaction to the fact that his influence in the Western Ukraine is basically gone. What I do fear is the possibility that Eastern Ukraine may end up taken over by Russia or split off into its own country.
I think Putin is a real shit. He's a real Hitler type.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 am

Metacrock wrote: I think Putin is a real shit. He's a real Hitler type.
No, doesn't have the propensity for genocide and bloodshed that Hitler had. Putin is a thug that wants to bring about a new Soviet Union (albeit with more state/crony capitalism). The problem is the very corruption that he sets up is immensely inefficient and he is incredibly reliant on natural gas prices, something that will be a problem for him as the American fracking will bring a massive alternative. The US is set to surpass Russia in Natural gas production by 2017.

In short, he is somewhat screwed but will remain in power.