Page 1 of 2

Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 pm
by Metacrock
Firsts he hosts the Olympics, then he invades territory supposedly to save ethnic relatives.

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:35 am
by mdsimpson92
Metacrock wrote:Firsts he hosts the Olympics, then he invades territory supposedly to save ethnic relatives.
Actually its a bit weirder. He claims that the soldiers in Crimea aren't Russian, but rather Crimean militia. Even though the vehicles have Russian military plates and when asked the soldiers say they are Russian.

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:30 am
by Metacrock
mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:Firsts he hosts the Olympics, then he invades territory supposedly to save ethnic relatives.
Actually its a bit weirder. He claims that the soldiers in Crimea aren't Russian, but rather Crimean militia. Even though the vehicles have Russian military plates and when asked the soldiers say they are Russian.

well so he's ad libing. it's still similar to Hitler.

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:18 am
by Magritte
Must we, fellow humans? Must we?

In Eastern Europe, the talk is of 1939

http://monitorglobaloutlook.com/in-east ... s-of-1939/

US and EU sanctions against a short list of Russian leaders have not soothed jitters in Eastern Europe over the Russian-backed effort in Crimea to break away from Ukraine. While Washington is talking about diplomacy, Poles in cafés and on social media are talking about the land-grabbing of the late 1930s that led to World War II.

“I was out with a buddy on Friday and he said, ‘I bet people partied like this in August 1939 as well,’” says our correspondent in Warsaw, who has also lived and reported in Ukraine. “Looking at commentary in the Polish media, looking at what friends of mine are writing on Facebook, it’s kind of a depressing feel over here. People over here are concerned; they are worried.”

The sanctions apply to 28 different Russian and Ukrainian individuals; for now, the United States and European Union appear to have held back on broader sanctions against the Russian arms industry.

“Look, Putin can write a check to each of those people to cover the losses of their assets overseas,” says our correspondent. “I think the time for ramping things up slowly has been and gone, if there ever was one. The idea is maybe they [the US and EU] will do a little bit now and see how Russia reacts, and do a little bit more, but I don’t see that working.”

Poland is speeding up plans to modernize its military to NATO standards. Polish officials are talking of forming a joint Polish-Lithuanian-Ukrainian brigade. And the Polish prime minister is warning this will be a long-term crisis that may send an influx of refugees into Poland – and, by extension, the EU. The latter warning may be less a real concern than an effort to prompt action from Europeans worried about a flood of low-cost labor, our correspondent says.

Ukraine, too, is searching for ways to trigger a more robust response from the West and deter Russia from further incursions. One extreme option that’s been mentioned by an ultranationalist leader is blowing up the gas pipelines from Russia to Europe that go through the Ukraine. That action, however, would do massive damage to Ukraine’s economy, as well.

Then, there’s – quite literally – the nuclear option. In 1994, Ukraine surrendered Soviet-era nuclear weapons to Russia in exchange for security assurances and guarantees of territorial integrity from the US, United Kingdom, and Russia.

“Where’s the territorial integrity? Where’s the guarantee?” says our correspondent. “In terms of international law, it’s hard to make an argument that Ukraine shouldn’t just say, ‘Okay, [forget] you, we’re making nukes and now you’ll pay attention to us.’ ”

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 am
by Metacrock
Doesn't it make you nostalgic. our old friend nuclear annihilation is back on the table. At last the world again the resembles the world I grew up in. I am home!

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 pm
by Magritte
As a Gen-Xer it's pretty familiar territory to me, too. It was the worst during Reagan's first term with all those terrible movies like The Day After and Testament burned into my brain. Years later I saw Threads, an English movie about nuclear war that was even worse. Thank goodness I didn't see it when I was younger. I probably would have hung myself.

I don't think people born during or after Reagan understand how the spectre of total nuclear annihilation and human extinction was a constant daily companion back then.

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:13 am
by Metacrock
Magritte wrote:As a Gen-Xer it's pretty familiar territory to me, too. It was the worst during Reagan's first term with all those terrible movies like The Day After and Testament burned into my brain. Years later I saw Threads, an English movie about nuclear war that was even worse. Thank goodness I didn't see it when I was younger. I probably would have hung myself.

I don't think people born during or after Reagan understand how the spectre of total nuclear annihilation and human extinction was a constant daily companion back then.
yes that's true the Reagan youth has that sense. But somehow they didn't connect it to Reagan. I think that's because my movie that first gave me the sense "hey the world really could end becuase these assholes will use these weapons" was Dr. Strangelove. Stanly Kubrick. So my nuclear annihilation movie said "isn't the whole thing stupid? both sides are ran by idiots."

Their nuc movies said' "the evil communist might do this to us, the good guys."

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:50 am
by Magritte
That's true, there was no sense of irony in The Day After. Maybe a touch of it in Testament, I'd have to watch it again.

Threads though, is very darkly ironic but not humorous. The main idea in it was that people are suffering unimaginably, and why would we do this to ourselves? There's no narrative about good guys and bad guys. But again, this was English.

In general there wasn't much in American mainstream media in the way of satirical self-examination in the 80s. After the 70s the major studios clamped down really hard on their creativity and it became impossible for something like Strangelove to have gotten any kind of budget. Directors and writers were allowed to be "weird and wacky" though and that's how a few subversive things snuck in here and there.

Do you remember the TV miniseries Amerika, with Kris Kristofferson? The Soviets invade and take over, and it's completely retarded. It's the Reagan era in a nutshell.

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:04 am
by Metacrock
Magritte wrote:That's true, there was no sense of irony in The Day After. Maybe a touch of it in Testament, I'd have to watch it again.

Threads though, is very darkly ironic but not humorous. The main idea in it was that people are suffering unimaginably, and why would we do this to ourselves? There's no narrative about good guys and bad guys. But again, this was English.

In general there wasn't much in American mainstream media in the way of satirical self-examination in the 80s. After the 70s the major studios clamped down really hard on their creativity and it became impossible for something like Strangelove to have gotten any kind of budget. Directors and writers were allowed to be "weird and wacky" though and that's how a few subversive things snuck in here and there.

Do you remember the TV miniseries Amerika, with Kris Kristofferson? The Soviets invade and take over, and it's completely retarded. It's the Reagan era in a nutshell.
Dr. Strangelove was totally contrary to the sensibilities of the 80s, even the 70s except maybe up to 72. More than just political and more than just the entertainment industry. It had to the sensibility of the people. I wonder if a lot of the people who loved that movie didn't die in Vietnam. A lot of them were burned out on drugs by the late 70s. a lot of them were inheriting Daddy's business and ready to think "grown up" by the 80s.

Re: Putin calling them out of Hitler's play book?

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 pm
by met
Iroically, it's always been a American truism that competition is a good thing!

Prob'ly is, in some ways.....