Brexit for Pixie

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Jim B.
Brexit for Pixie

Post by Jim B. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:21 am

What are your thoughts on Brexit, if you don't mind discussing it? Anyone else is welcome to join in. It hasn't been in the news that much here.

The Pixie

Re: Brexit for Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:50 am

Sorry, only just found this thread.

I am hoping we remain in Europe. It worries me a lot that we will go back into recession (and probably take Europe with us). The arguments for leaving do not make a lot of sense.

The newspapers mostly want us out of Europe, so whip up a fury about immigrants, but immigrants have a history of benefiting the country, from the Anglo-Saxons and later the Normans, all the way to the Asians after WW2. They do the jobs no one else wants to do, and they tend to be harder working than the natives.

I have no problem with Europe making decisions. I do not see the difference between bureaucrats and politicians in Luxembourg and bureaucrats and politicians in London. And all the regulations the Europe imposes on us will almost certainly remain in place if we leave if we plan to trade with Europe. At least if we stay in the UK will get a say in those regulations, rather than Europe saying follow them or do not trade with us if we quit.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:25 pm

The Pixie wrote:Sorry, only just found this thread.

I am hoping we remain in Europe. It worries me a lot that we will go back into recession (and probably take Europe with us). The arguments for leaving do not make a lot of sense.

The newspapers mostly want us out of Europe, so whip up a fury about immigrants, but immigrants have a history of benefiting the country, from the Anglo-Saxons and later the Normans, all the way to the Asians after WW2. They do the jobs no one else wants to do, and they tend to be harder working than the natives.

I have no problem with Europe making decisions. I do not see the difference between bureaucrats and politicians in Luxembourg and bureaucrats and politicians in London. And all the regulations the Europe imposes on us will almost certainly remain in place if we leave if we plan to trade with Europe. At least if we stay in the UK will get a say in those regulations, rather than Europe saying follow them or do not trade with us if we quit.
It sounds like the UK is experiencing a wave of nativism similar to what we're having with Trump.

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:05 am

Oh dear...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 am

The Pixie wrote:Sorry, only just found this thread.

\
sorry man I think we will all regret that soon.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I heard that Parliament will have to come up with an "exit package" that then may have to be endorsed in another general referendum. Maybe the public could keep rejecting the exit package and that way effectively stay in the EU indefinitely (?)