atheists not willing to believe

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator: Metacrock

sgttomas

Re: atheists not willing to believe

Post by sgttomas » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:58 pm

I think your statement about the kinds of evidence is crucial. That's one of the major distinctions. When one comes to accept God one is usually willing to accept a different standard of evidence than before. The whole issue is really one of what constitutes a valid reason.
...that is why I say that belief in God is an arbitrary proposition. The justification for choosing or not choosing to resolve that proposition is determined by the meaning and value we place in it. So belief in God - and hence, evidence for God - is rather predetermined by the state we place it in. Of course, this state is always in flux and may shift enough to change the outcome of the proposition.

To believe in God, one has to want to believe in God for otherwise one lacks the mental categories to accommodate belief.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Re: atheists not willing to believe

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 am

sgttomas wrote:
I think your statement about the kinds of evidence is crucial. That's one of the major distinctions. When one comes to accept God one is usually willing to accept a different standard of evidence than before. The whole issue is really one of what constitutes a valid reason.
...that is why I say that belief in God is an arbitrary proposition. The justification for choosing or not choosing to resolve that proposition is determined by the meaning and value we place in it. So belief in God - and hence, evidence for God - is rather predetermined by the state we place it in. Of course, this state is always in flux and may shift enough to change the outcome of the proposition.

To believe in God, one has to want to believe in God for otherwise one lacks the mental categories to accommodate belief.

Peace,
-sgttomas

right. that's why its a matter of experinces and not of logical deduction. No one comes to be a believer based upon pure logic alone. that's why its called "conversion." It's actually a paradigm shift. When you exchange one type of evidence or some standard for another, that's a paradigm shift. Paradigm shifts happen when there are too many anomalies and they can't be absorbed by the old paradigm any longer. That's what RE is, it's the ultimate anomaly.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief