What if an atheist is present at a 'visitation'?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator: Metacrock

Wyrdsmyth

What if an atheist is present at a 'visitation'?

Post by Wyrdsmyth » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:40 am

For those of you who think 'atheists just don't want to believe' and 'questions of evidence are irrelevant because atheists would dismiss them anyway' -- I have a question.

What do you think would happen if an atheist were present at a 'visitation'? By 'visitation' I mean any of the supernatural contacts such as are described Biblically. Do you think the atheist, when seeing an Angel of the Lord or Gabriel or whatever, would simply be unable to see it? Would see it, but convince himself he didn't? Would look for alternative explanations, such as meterological phenomena, aliens, psychological hallucinations, etc.?

Also, if you think atheists don't WANT to believe, what do you base that on? Is it comments from atheists themselves, or just something you're projecting onto them? Why wouldn't they want to believe? And, for the things you don't believe in... do you simply not want to believe in them? For example, supernatural or theological claims of other religions? Bigfoot? Leprechauns? Garden fairies? Are there things you rule out, because you don't like the idea of them, or the consequences of them being true?

ZAROVE

Re: What if an atheist is present at a 'visitation'?

Post by ZAROVE » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:04 pm

For those of you who think 'atheists just don't want to believe' and 'questions of evidence are irrelevant because atheists would dismiss them anyway' -- I have a question.
AND, I shall endeavour to answer.
What do you think would happen if an atheist were present at a 'visitation'? By 'visitation' I mean any of the supernatural contacts such as are described Biblically.
Thanks. I didn't know what you meat b the title.

But I do need to add that I do not hold to Supernaturalism, and my theology is a naturalistic one, so, dispite the fact that I am a theist, and in contrast to what uis usually bandied about on these boards, I do not think such events shoudl rightly be called Supernatural, and the term is notably abscent from the Bible itself.

Do you think the atheist, when seeing an Angel of the Lord or Gabriel or whatever, would simply be unable to see it?

Unless said Atheist was blind, no.

An Atheist should be able to see the Angel Gabriel ( and gabriel is an Angel) or any other Angel if said Angel makes himself visible.

Why shoudl he not be able ot see the Angel?

Would see it, but convince himself he didn't?

Some might, or, woudl interact withthe Angel but convince himself afterewar dit was a hallicinaiton. But it depends on who the Ahtiest is and theirown predesposiiton, as well as the cercumstances.

A fleetign glance of an Angle in glory would be eay to dismiss, as time goes on, as mistaken perception, while a more obvious and pesistant contact, clode and diliberate, involving exchange of words and miraculous deeds woudl be harder to dismiss as such, though not impossible.

But, some Ahtist would conceed that this was somehtign beyind his own proffessed worldview, and others may veen consider hat perhaps a god exists after all.

But again,t he uestion is well too broad.

Would look for alternative explanations, such as meterological phenomena, aliens, psychological hallucinations, etc.?

Again, not all Atheists are the same, and not all Contacts with such beigns are the same, so ther eis no set address, other than that an Ahtiest woudl be able to see such beigns if they manifested themselves.

Also, if you think atheists don't WANT to believe, what do you base that on?

It again depends on thre Ahtiest.

why must it be that all Ahtiest just don't want ot beleive, or all Ahtiests base their conclusiosnon logic and reaosn, or all Ahtiests support the motions of the Humanist religion?

Not all Athiests are the same, and we shoudln't speak in such generalities.

Is it comments from atheists themselves, or just something you're projecting onto them?
See above, and which Atheists?

Why wouldn't they want to believe? And, for the things you don't believe in... do you simply not want to believe in them? For example, supernatural or theological claims of other religions? Bigfoot? Leprechauns? Garden fairies? Are there things you rule out, because you don't like the idea of them, or the consequences of them being true?

Your stioll beign too vauge for this to be answere din a meanignful way.