Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator: Metacrock

ZAROVE
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by ZAROVE » Tue May 06, 2008 6:01 pm

A new mvoement exist now, dubbing itself "Evangelical Atheism". It preaches aggressivley agaisnt Christianity, but in my expeirnce it never really preaches for anythign other than acceptance of its views (Which extend beyond merley rejecgtign the existance of God) because Christianity is evil and wrong.


I was wondering if nayone else had encoutnered those whor efere to themselves as "Evangelical Atheists", by any chance?

User avatar
tinythinker
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by tinythinker » Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 am

I have never encountered anyone explicitly using that label, but I have run into people who otherwise fit the description.
Adrift in the endless river

User avatar
Metacrock
Posts: 10046
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by Metacrock » Thu May 08, 2008 3:17 pm

tinythinker wrote:I have never encountered anyone explicitly using that label, but I have run into people who otherwise fit the description.
"do you deal with people using the term "new atheist?"
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by ZAROVE » Thu May 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Gven their arugments, the term "New Atheist" is a misnomer.

Theognosis
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by Theognosis » Sun May 11, 2008 6:46 am

What are these guys gonna think of next?

Let me think... Cursing in Tongues? Hate Offerings? Lust Gift?

:lol:

User avatar
Metacrock
Posts: 10046
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by Metacrock » Sun May 11, 2008 9:44 am

Theognosis wrote:What are these guys gonna think of next?

Let me think... Cursing in Tongues? Hate Offerings? Lust Gift?

:lol:

ahahahahahahhahaha, yea that's the way they are. Now the Jesus myth thing isn't enough, they have the Paul myth and the Christian myth. no Christians existed in the first century!

they will say anything. hell what can you say about a group that advertises blasphemy of the Holy Spirit as a means of proving you really don't believer after all and aren't afraid? The stupidiest thing I've ever heard of. "I don't like Broccoli, and I'm so convened by my dislike of Broccoli I'm going to have my teaste buds removed so I can never taste it!"
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by ZAROVE » Sun May 11, 2008 10:08 am

But I like Brocoli...


That saidm it seems ot me that the "Evangelial Atheists", and other "New Athietss" lack anythign of their own. Their enture culture is parasidic. As much as they claim to use reason and logic to build a world fee of myth and usperstition, and how their views are wholly reliant on their own thinking, the truth is that they either borrow heavily from Christian concepts and cultuee to give them any sort of structure morlaly or culturlaly, or else they immitate Christianity in their attemto to show diffeence.


If you remove Christianity, you lso remove form them ewverythign that gives them cohesion as a group.

That alone prevents me from considerign joining up. Then their are the badly thouht out arguments...

Theognosis
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by Theognosis » Mon May 12, 2008 3:50 am

ZAROVE wrote:That saidm it seems ot me that the "Evangelial Atheists", and other "New Athietss" lack anythign of their own. Their enture culture is parasidic. As much as they claim to use reason and logic to build a world fee of myth and usperstition, and how their views are wholly reliant on their own thinking, the truth is that they either borrow heavily from Christian concepts and cultuee to give them any sort of structure morlaly or culturlaly, or else they immitate Christianity in their attemto to show diffeence.
If you remove Christianity, you lso remove form them ewverythign that gives them cohesion as a group.
Yes, atheism in any form will always be dependent on theism. It cannot exist by itself.
That alone prevents me from considerign joining up. Then their are the badly thouht out arguments...
If they had Lust Offering, I'd be tempted to join. :twisted:

User avatar
tinythinker
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by tinythinker » Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 am

Metacrock wrote:
tinythinker wrote:I have never encountered anyone explicitly using that label, but I have run into people who otherwise fit the description.
"do you deal with people using the term "new atheist?"
I have generally seen that term reserved for the current crop of acerbic atheists authors.
Adrift in the endless river

ZAROVE
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Ever Run Into An Evangelical Atheist?

Post by ZAROVE » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 am

Actually, Tinhy, when I said they are parasidic and dependant, I mean in terms of how they think and the terms they us and the whole point fo the subculture. Atheism is notsomuch dependantupon theism,as the term is.On can notbeleiv ein God even if no one ebelvies in God, but on cannot be an Evangelical Athist without Christianity.


They have their Deconversion testamonies to mirror the COnversion testamoneis of Christians,their whole reaosn for meetign and peakign of their beleifs is to show why CHristianity is wrong, and they endleslsy discus why Christian ebelifs are in error, and hwo their views are thus superior ( Usually wihtotu expaling exaclty what they beelive and why its better) and even now have "SUnday Schools" and "SUnday meetings" to display instead of CHurch. THey have a "Naitonal Day Of ReasoN' in roder to shwo hat they use reaosn rather than prayer, and have other such Christian-based alternaives which woudln't be neeed as alternatives if he original sididnt exist and are obviosulu knockoffs of the original concept.


Remove Christianity and you remove th Deconversion stoties, the need for alternatives to Church, the Naitonal Day of Reason, and of ocurse the endless preaching about why we shudl be Ahtists because Christian theology makes no snce and Christiasn are all Murdeous bastards who are worse than Al Queda.

The whole of it is just them critisising Christianity then mimickign aspecs of it for their own ends.

Post Reply