Odd paradox

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator: Metacrock

Metacrock

Odd paradox

Post by Metacrock » Wed May 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Just before the move, my disappearance and long absence I had an argument on CARM with some atheists in which they defended universal morality and I defended moral relativism. They were so stupid they thought Christians are moral relativists and atheists believe in objective universal morality. Oddly enough it came about over arguments about poligimy and thirteen year old girls being forced to marry, before any of that was in the news.

I was not defending poligamy, nor was I defending thirteen year olds being forced to marry, but they had heard how Mary the mother of Christ was thought to be about 13 when she became a mother. they were horrified and this was yet another proof of who corrupt and stupid and abusive religion is. They seemed to think that somehow Jewish religion commanded her to Marry at that age. I was saying it was different time, different culture, people didn't live as long, they didn't have a concept of adolescence. childhood ended early. They thought all of that was just terrible. that proved that Christianity is evil and that it is abusive, because I, a Christian, could rationalize the evils of God making Mary Marry at 13!

I tried to tease out from them the idea that "hey are you saying there are universal moral laws?" they said "NO of course not but if it's abuse now how could it not be abuse back then?"
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Re: Odd paradox

Post by ZAROVE » Thu May 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Actually peopel where marryign at the age of 12 even int he 19th century. This includd non-Christians and even Ahtiests.

Thats when girls begin to ave thir periods and thus are ocnsidered breedable, which was the basic understandign at the time for marrigable omen.

They just don't know history.

Metacrock

Re: Odd paradox

Post by Metacrock » Thu May 22, 2008 6:28 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Actually peopel where marryign at the age of 12 even int he 19th century. This includd non-Christians and even Ahtiests.

Thats when girls begin to ave thir periods and thus are ocnsidered breedable, which was the basic understandign at the time for marrigable omen.

They just don't know history.

right, tell me about it man. I was once accused of fabricating evident by an atheist who was upset becasue I started a quote in the middle so I would not waste time copying something irrelevant and to show that I had done this I put ellipses, ... and then bracketed the capital first letter which was not in the original text:

...[L]ike this.

for this atheist this was distorting evidence because they just didn't know anything.

The problem with the kinds in Texas is that they are being forced into things that are immoral by a cult which has distorted the nature of their moral training for the purposes of abusing them. In an age where kids went to work at 13 and died at 40 and there were no teens because there were no drive ins and no radios, it was a different matter.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief