Utter silliness in atheist arguments

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Kane Augustus
Re: Utter silliness in atheist arguments

Post by Kane Augustus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm

I do have to wonder if the insults that are typed up on this board, and the horrible assumptions about other's characters, would be stated in a face-to-face conversation. If you can honestly answer "no", or have even the slightest bit of anxiety at the prospect, then perhaps writing them in here is not the best choice. The internet shouldn't be a shield against compassion. It is useful to guard against technological distancing, and to always remember that the best approach to another human being is compassion, not aggression.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Kane Augustus wrote:I do have to wonder if the insults that are typed up on this board, and the horrible assumptions about other's characters, would be stated in a face-to-face conversation. If you can honestly answer "no", or have even the slightest bit of anxiety at the prospect, then perhaps writing them in here is not the best choice. The internet shouldn't be a shield against compassion. It is useful to guard against technological distancing, and to always remember that the best approach to another human being is compassion, not aggression.

Hermit is blowing it all out proportion. I actually like the guy. I don't want to insult and what I said about him wasn't' that bad. I said I don't know if he's sincere and he truns that into some kind of major charter assassination. This is exactly why I wonder about his sincerer. What's he doing now? He's having a hissy becuase I mentioned his name in an unflattering way. I have to live with people trying to say that "Im evil and stupid totally destroy the others see me. People make whole web pages about how bad I am. I made one little comment and it wasn't even made in anger.

what does this mean. First it means he monitors my sites to see if there's an excuse to chyme and go nuts and claim he's been hurt so hurt hurt hurt and so on. This makes me wonder is he really hurt or this is an opportunity for him to gum the works?

he never objects to the things other say about me. When that Alabama guy did a mock newspaper report on how stupid and bad I am did he say anything about it? no. did he tell the guy "stop doing this." NO. One little statement about him that's not even all that bad he just goes to pieces.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:19 pm

The Birmingham Free Press said...

You are a morbidly obese man-boy. And you are genuinely stupid. Why don't you wash your hair?

You are obviously mentally ill. Why do you have to keep bragging about your shitty education from a Christian school? You know that's not normal, right? They obviously didn't teach you how to do research. Did our mother not love you? Why do you have to keep propping yourself up? That is an obvious sign of insecurity.

What you need is to finally know the company of a woman. I'm sure if you find a nice prostitute you can finally lose your virginity. It might clear your skin up. Then maybe you can think about moving out of your parents basement.
12:57 PM
The Birmingham Free Press said...

Ha ha morbidly obese man boy is confused. Your research skills are horrible.

But I already knew that.

Maybe I'm from Satan.

Did you ever think of that?

Better watch you back.
this is some real hate. The thing I did to get this reaction was to report this guy for backing into a document that I had which was private and making the contence public on carm.

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Metacrock wrote:Hermit is blowing it all out proportion. I actually like the guy. I don't want to insult and what I said about him wasn't' that bad. I said I don't know if he's sincere and he truns that into some kind of major charter assassination. This is exactly why I wonder about his sincerer. What's he doing now? He's having a hissy becuase I mentioned his name in an unflattering way. I have to live with people trying to say that "Im evil and stupid totally destroy the others see me. People make whole web pages about how bad I am. I made one little comment and it wasn't even made in anger.

what does this mean. First it means he monitors my sites to see if there's an excuse to chyme and go nuts and claim he's been hurt so hurt hurt hurt and so on. This makes me wonder is he really hurt or this is an opportunity for him to gum the works?

he never objects to the things other say about me. When that Alabama guy did a mock newspaper report on how stupid and bad I am did he say anything about it? no. did he tell the guy "stop doing this." NO. One little statement about him that's not even all that bad he just goes to pieces.
None of this actually matters unless it is important to you to have a ready list of things to point at people. In a similar way, it is important for the US government to have a stockpile of weapons, capice? Two rational people cannot disagree when despite their points of variance they are able to reason to compassion. Jesus was right about this same point; as am I.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:15 am

Kane Augustus wrote:
Metacrock wrote:Hermit is blowing it all out proportion. I actually like the guy. I don't want to insult and what I said about him wasn't' that bad. I said I don't know if he's sincere and he truns that into some kind of major charter assassination. This is exactly why I wonder about his sincerer. What's he doing now? He's having a hissy becuase I mentioned his name in an unflattering way. I have to live with people trying to say that "Im evil and stupid totally destroy the others see me. People make whole web pages about how bad I am. I made one little comment and it wasn't even made in anger.

None of this actually matters unless it is important to you to have a ready list of things to point at people. In a similar way, it is important for the US government to have a stockpile of weapons, capice? Two rational people cannot disagree when despite their points of variance they are able to reason to compassion. Jesus was right about this same point; as am I.

I'm not saying Hermit is wrong to monitor my sites and speak when he objects to what I say. I apologized for saying what I did, I didn't really mean to say it anyway. I meant to say that at times I may doubt his sincerity I shouldn't becuase he is clearly passionate about his concerns. Nothing wrong with that.

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Metacrock wrote:
Kane Augustus wrote:

I'm not saying Hermit is wrong to monitor my sites and speak when he objects to what I say. I apologized for saying what I did, I didn't really mean to say it anyway. I meant to say that at times I may doubt his sincerity I shouldn't becuase he is clearly passionate about his concerns. Nothing wrong with that.
Okay.

For me, personally, I've been trying on a new approach: when I'm unclear about someone's sincerity, I let my concerns go. People are wonderful at exposing themselves. And once they do, if their exposure is something I don't think I can deal with, I set that person aside; I let go of my interactions with them. I did this to LittlePixieOfTerror at Tweb. She hated it. But by doing so, she exposed herself to a large number of people as a rather hostile, and insincere person. On the flip-side, however, I received 8 PMs from atheists and Christians alike noting that I handled the situation perfectly, and that they commended my insights even if they disagreed with me.

So, from my own experience with doing what I've suggested, I can tell you that it works. Not only that, I feel better approaching things that way. Give it a shot; you might find the same happens for you, too.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:59 pm

that's probalby a good idea Augie.