atheists are now making another mhuge mistake

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: atheists are now making another mhuge mistake

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:55 am

Antimatter wrote:
KR Wordgazer wrote:Well, you'd probably start believing there was a god. That wouldn't actually make you a convert,though. A convert is someone who surrenders his life, putting all of his faith and trust in said god. :)
If the god of the cosmos had enough interest to visit this pale blue dot out of all the countless galaxies out there just to make an appearance for insignificant me, you better believe I'd convert.

God is not making a visit. he lives here. We are part of being so we are intimately connected with God all the time.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Antimatter

Post by Antimatter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am

Metacrock wrote:God is not making a visit. he lives here. We are part of being so we are intimately connected with God all the time.
I was just entertaining the hypothetical of god appearing in front of my eyes, which implies he isn't making an appearance everywhere at once. :)

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:11 am

Antimatter wrote:
Metacrock wrote:God is not making a visit. he lives here. We are part of being so we are intimately connected with God all the time.
I was just entertaining the hypothetical of god appearing in front of my eyes, which implies he isn't making an appearance everywhere at once. :)

or suddenly you can see what's there anyway. But the statement does assume that God is just another ordinary object like a guy. So if you see God face to face it wont be this overwhelming sense of magistrate and amazing awe it will just be another object to accept or reject. like bigfoot.

Antimatter

Post by Antimatter » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Metacrock wrote:or suddenly you can see what's there anyway. But the statement does assume that God is just another ordinary object like a guy. So if you see God face to face it wont be this overwhelming sense of magistrate and amazing awe it will just be another object to accept or reject. like bigfoot.
Few things perturb me more than others putting words in my mouth. I didn't call your god just another ordinary object, and I've certainly never seen big foot, so your analogy is confused at best.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:45 am

Antimatter wrote:
Metacrock wrote:or suddenly you can see what's there anyway. But the statement does assume that God is just another ordinary object like a guy. So if you see God face to face it wont be this overwhelming sense of magistrate and amazing awe it will just be another object to accept or reject. like bigfoot.
Few things perturb me more than others putting words in my mouth. I didn't call your god just another ordinary object, and I've certainly never seen big foot, so your analogy is confused at best.

That's not putting words in your mouth. I sure didn't mean to do that. I guess I should have said "your arguments seems to..." That you are treating God as an object is certainly a valid inference to draw from what you said. I realize you did not say that in so many words.