Hume's Misconception on Miracles

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Cheeky Monkey
Re: Hume's Misconception on Miracles

Post by Cheeky Monkey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 am

I agree that Hume's definition of miracles leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hard pressed to come up with a definition that isn't tautological though. I think "miracle" is a subjective layer of meaning we ascribe to an event a la Pulp Fiction. I do however think that Hume's basic idea is a good heuristic for testimony concerning extraordinary events but I'd recast it as a Bayesian Inference.
"They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that? (Monkey, Great Sage Equal of Heaven)

Metacrock

Re: Hume's Misconception on Miracles

Post by Metacrock » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:43 am

Cheeky Monkey wrote:I agree that Hume's definition of miracles leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hard pressed to come up with a definition that isn't tautological though. I think "miracle" is a subjective layer of meaning we ascribe to an event a la Pulp Fiction. I do however think that Hume's basic idea is a good heuristic for testimony concerning extraordinary events but I'd recast it as a Bayesian Inference.
I agree that it's subjective.I think the term connotes a religious dimension to an unexplainable event. If you don't have that dimension then it's just a wired thing, like the lost Dutchman mine or Bigfoot or UFOs. It Bigfoot says "Jesus saves" then it becomes a miracle.

Still, things happen that violate our norms for what is supposed to happen and they suggest some kind of divine activity involved, and unbelievers are in denial about it.

That will always be an epistemological gap in any understanding of reality.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief