Discussion of Robin Yergensen's ideas on self interest

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Re: Discussion of Robin Yergensen's ideas on self interest

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Robin Yergenson wrote:If the interests of the community conflict with what is actually best for the individual, the individual’s personal values (in the context of his or her own life being at bottom) and the choices corresponding to that value system should trump those of the community. Fortunately this condition is rare and most often there is a win-win opportunity for greatest benefit.
True that is fortunate. But I think that is where disagree. I think there comes a point where there is a high responsibility to the community.
Robin Yergenson wrote:I don’t think you responded to that. Could you respond please? I want to see if we can agree that because we are self interested in living and thriving, we should act within our best interests and that lesser values should not be pursued at the expense of deeper values and that your own life is a deeper value than the satisfaction you get out of reading your favorite Steven King novel. Once we agree, we can explore other areas of disagreement.
No, I guess I did no respond to that, sorry. I would personally try to save myself. I do admit that it is better to be alive than read a Stephen King novel. Though I think if it was to save a different person's life (or multiple) then I might sacrifice my life. But then that goes back to what is of more value. That being said if it were Dostoyevsky or George R.R. Martin I might hesitate :mrgreen: .
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Robin Yergenson

Post by Robin Yergenson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Metacrock and Miles,

I have claimed,

1. It is fundamental to our nature to prefer to live and thrive.
2. If we are to obtain living and thriving there are actions that we ought to take.
3. While there are many values worth pursuing, we must avoid pursuing lesser values at the expense of greater values.
4. So long as our existence is required in order to coherently discuss those things that are of value to us, our existence is at the bottom of our value chain, whether we grasp that fact or not.
5. Since moral actions are those actions that we ought to take, then this hierarchical order of values and actions is what gives rise to objective morality (morality that is actual, that is rooted in reality, in our nature, and the natural order rather than an arbitrary morality based on whim, tradition, and the dictates of others).
6. This is the correct morality for us all whether you and I happen to agree or not.

You seem to agree with points 1-4 or at least have not attempted to demonstrate a basis for why they are in error. I have elaborated on points 4 and 5:
Rob: Now, I’m still not quite communicating on #4 and 5 so let me elaborate. If you have, oh, say a dog that greets you at the door and offers you a great deal of love and companionship, you get benefit from having the dog, right? But if you are dead or never even existed, can we still say that you get benefit from the dog? Of course not. Your existence is required before the notion of your getting benefit and value from the dog can be coherently discussed in any way. Your existence, your life is required as a precondition for anything to be of value to you. And to be clear, I do not mean value as a whim based preference, I mean value as when something is objectively beneficial to you whether you grasp it as a benefit or not. Since your existence is required for such benefit and value to you to exist, there is never a value that is beneficial to you that can be greater than you. This is because value is not intrinsic. Value requires a valuer. If no valuers exist, nothing has value of any kind. Since the valuer is at the bottom of the valuer’s value chain, and since self sacrifice destroys that deepest value (the valuer’s life), it is acting to gain a lesser value in exchange for a greater value and as such it is immoral. Throwing yourself on a grenade is immoral just as is sacrificing your life in order to donate your vital organs for others who need them is immoral.
Since you didn’t disagree in a substantial way you are either evading or you do in fact agree. So then, these 5 points do result in an objective basis for moral actions. Regarding a “higher” morality, neither of you has attempted to demonstrate it, so either you are both being willfully evasive or you have no demonstration and agree that a morality that sacrifices self in order to benefit others has no base, is arbitrary, and is in fact immoral.

Metacrock, you say,
Metacrock: you put the self above others. that's nothing more than selfish. Human history is rife with examples of the failure of enlightened self interest. We have both dressed up our position in reality it looks like they are just the same old thing.
You use the term “selfish” as if it were something negative. Other than cowering to popular sentiment, why? Everyone is selfish. People are just confused about its proper place in defining moral action. Human history is rife with examples of a failure to properly identify the benefit to self of living in a benevolent harmonious way with others. In a word, stupidity, not selfishness, is the fundamental problem which has repeatedly exhibited itself in human history.

Rob

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 am

Robin Yergenson wrote:Hi Metacrock and Miles,

I have claimed,

2. If we are to obtain living and thriving there are actions that we ought to take.
3. While there are many values worth pursuing, we must avoid pursuing lesser values at the expense of greater values.

a materialist has a jaundiced view of what "true" values are. The materialist, believing he has only one moment of life (temporal existence in the world) will cling to his own selfish ends as "the greater value."
4. So long as our existence is required in order to coherently discuss those things that are of value to us, our existence is at the bottom of our value chain, whether we grasp that fact or not.
that's a rationalization born by the belief that we have no after life. If we are spiritual beings and if we live on after death in some form then we are not limited by this life. thus our temporal survival is not the greatest value.

5. Since moral actions are those actions that we ought to take, then this hierarchical order of values and actions is what gives rise to objective morality (morality that is actual, that is rooted in reality, in our nature, and the natural order rather than an arbitrary morality based on whim, tradition, and the dictates of others).
spiritual life and belief in God are rooted in reality. You are using the term "objective" to mean "materialist."

6. This is the correct morality for us all whether you and I happen to agree or not.

You seem to agree with points 1-4 or at least have not attempted to demonstrate a basis for why they are in error. I have elaborated on points 4 and 5:
6 is truth by stipulation. I expalined my problems with other points.
Rob: Now, I’m still not quite communicating on #4 and 5 so let me elaborate. If you have, oh, say a dog that greets you at the door and offers you a great deal of love and companionship, you get benefit from having the dog, right? But if you are dead or never even existed, can we still say that you get benefit from the dog? Of course not. Your existence is required before the notion of your getting benefit and value from the dog can be coherently discussed in any way. Your existence, your life is required as a precondition for anything to be of value to you. And to be clear, I do not mean value as a whim based preference, I mean value as when something is objectively beneficial to you whether you grasp it as a benefit or not. Since your existence is required for such benefit and value to you to exist, there is never a value that is beneficial to you that can be greater than you. This is because value is not intrinsic. Value requires a valuer. If no valuers exist, nothing has value of any kind. Since the valuer is at the bottom of the valuer’s value chain, and since self sacrifice destroys that deepest value (the valuer’s life), it is acting to gain a lesser value in exchange for a greater value and as such it is immoral. Throwing yourself on a grenade is immoral just as is sacrificing your life in order to donate your vital organs for others who need them is immoral.
Since you didn’t disagree in a substantial way you are either evading or you do in fact agree. So then, these 5 points do result in an objective basis for moral actions. Regarding a “higher” morality, neither of you has attempted to demonstrate it, so either you are both being willfully evasive or you have no demonstration and agree that a morality that sacrifices self in order to benefit others has no base, is arbitrary, and is in fact immoral.
I just voiced above my problem with it. your statement is jut reiterating the rationalization I see you making. I have voiced those objections before.
Metacrock, you say,
Metacrock: you put the self above others. that's nothing more than selfish. Human history is rife with examples of the failure of enlightened self interest. We have both dressed up our position in reality it looks like they are just the same old thing.
You use the term “selfish” as if it were something negative. Other than cowering to popular sentiment, why? Everyone is selfish. People are just confused about its proper place in defining moral action. Human history is rife with examples of a failure to properly identify the benefit to self of living in a benevolent harmonious way with others. In a word, stupidity, not selfishness, is the fundamental problem which has repeatedly exhibited itself in human history.

Rob
You are just rationalizing your own way rather than seeking God. Selflessness for the sake of love is the higher value.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Robin Yergenson

Post by Robin Yergenson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Metacrock and Miles,

I would like to point out the at every moment of our adult lives we have the ability to improve another person’s life at the expense of our own. As Jesus said, the poor you will have always, but me you will not have always. We are consciously choosing to obtain and retain goodness for ourselves when we could be finding ways (and there are lots of ways) to benefit others instead. So, are we all self interested? Yes, and rightly so. Are we all swines? Hardly. While we’re all self interested, there are those who rightly recognize self interest to be the basis for their entire value chain and whose self interested actions are known to be right and good, and there are those who just don’t grasp that fact so even though they act in self interested ways, they are confused about those actions being justified and so they feel morally wrong. I am of the former group. You, the latter. Now, does this mean that we should not be charitable to others? Not in the least. It only means that there is a proper context, a hierarchy of values, and when we are charitable in ways that benefit us (whether positively by feeling uplifted through the empathy that we experience in the good deed, or negatively by avoiding the self loathing that we are genetically predisposed with) then it is of value. But this benefit must be greater than the deficit in order to be moral, so for instance plucking your eyes out and donating them for scientific research because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy won’t cut it.

You have both made statements like the one Miles offered earlier when he said,
mdsimpson: I think there comes a point where there is a high responsibility to the community.
And since I was getting frustrated with such unjustified, skyhook, whim-based opinions, I had said, “Regarding a ‘higher’ morality, neither of you has attempted to demonstrate it, so either you are both being willfully evasive or you have no demonstration and agree that a morality that sacrifices self in order to benefit others has no base, is arbitrary, and is in fact immoral.”

Metacrock has now responded with,
Metacrock: You are just rationalizing your own way rather than seeking God. Selflessness for the sake of love is the higher value.
Well, I am trying to think well by looking for an objective basis rooted in reality itself for proper moral action. If that’s what you mean then yep, I’m rationalizing. Now, let’s test your assumption that “Selflessness for the sake of love is the higher value.” The term “love” carries a lot of mystic but when you break it down to its essence it is nothing more than a deeply felt value and feelings do not define objective value. Recall that a being with preferences, one who values, or more simply a “self” is required for the notion of value (including deep objective value) to be coherent. And recall that it is this fact that puts self at the deepest position on our hierarchy of values. What you are promoting then is that it is morally right to pursue a lesser value at the expense of a greater value. Really? When we check to see the roots of this kind of behavior you find that it is just a cleverly disguised form of “sacrifice self for the benefit of your genes” pseudo morality and those who do it well are dead before their time. The world’s religions have all conformed to it and made it seem more palatable. There is a genetic benefit, but we have no moral obligation to our genes. And yes, the beneficiary benefits too, but you have yet to come up with a reason why we ought to sacrifice ourself for others.

Finally, I had said, “So long as our existence is required in order to coherently discuss those things that are of value to us, our existence is at the bottom of our value chain, whether we grasp that fact or not.” Metacrock responded,
Metacrock: That's a rationalization born by the belief that we have no after life. If we are spiritual beings and if we live on after death in some form then we are not limited by this life. thus our temporal survival is not the greatest value.
No, there is another kind of survival. I said previously that the stuff (whether spirit stuff, soul stuff, material stuff) that we are of, the stuff that constitutes us is necessarily eternal stuff (ex nihilo nihil fit). But it’s quite a stretch to conclude that our infinite other existences are affected by the choices made in this life. No, what we have a justified basis to conclude is that the context for moral action is this life, not the sweet sweet by and by. The morality that you are promoting was correctly identified by Nietzsche to be nihilism (stripping this life of significance and meaning in order to invest in an afterlife). The fact that you are alive today tells me that deep down you agree. Your just a little confused on what's really at bottom.

Rob

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:11 am

Robin I'll get to this tomorrow.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Robin Yergenson wrote:Hi Metacrock and Miles,

I would like to point out the at every moment of our adult lives we have the ability to improve another person’s life at the expense of our own. As Jesus said, the poor you will have always, but me you will not have always. We are consciously choosing to obtain and retain goodness for ourselves when we could be finding ways (and there are lots of ways) to benefit others instead. So, are we all self interested? Yes, and rightly so. Are we all swines? Hardly. While we’re all self interested, there are those who rightly recognize self interest to be the basis for their entire value chain and whose self interested actions are known to be right and good, and there are those who just don’t grasp that fact so even though they act in self interested ways, they are confused about those actions being justified and so they feel morally wrong.
self interest is swinish when it is to the exclusion of the good of others. When we put our good ahead of others we are sinning. That's what sin is. But of cousre there's a limit. This has to be understood in a context of "reasonable extent" becuase I can always find millions of people to pour myself out for and I wont go that far. I could only reasonably benefit two are three people in a major sense, then maybe a few hundred indirectly. Some people rationalize never helping anyone.

We have agreed that there is a reasonable range in which our self interest is important but I think we agree there's a time to put other first, no? To everything there is a season.

I am of the former group. You, the latter. Now, does this mean that we should not be charitable to others? Not in the least. It only means that there is a proper context, a hierarchy of values, and when we are charitable in ways that benefit us (whether positively by feeling uplifted through the empathy that we experience in the good deed, or negatively by avoiding the self loathing that we are genetically predisposed with) then it is of value. But this benefit must be greater than the deficit in order to be moral, so for instance plucking your eyes out and donating them for scientific research because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy won’t cut it.
that would fit what I said above we are in agreement there. I can do more good for more people with both eyes. Its' not in the interest of valuing others to blind myself. That's inefficient use.
You have both made statements like the one Miles offered earlier when he said,
mdsimpson: I think there comes a point where there is a high responsibility to the community.
And since I was getting frustrated with such unjustified, skyhook, whim-based opinions, I had said, “Regarding a ‘higher’ morality, neither of you has attempted to demonstrate it, so either you are both being willfully evasive or you have no demonstration and agree that a morality that sacrifices self in order to benefit others has no base, is arbitrary, and is in fact immoral.”
I think we have demonstrated it. you are rationalizing again. You really want to put yourself ahead and not sacrifice. that's how it comes across to me.
Metacrock has now responded with,
Metacrock: You are just rationalizing your own way rather than seeking God. Selflessness for the sake of love is the higher value.
I am a broken record.
Well, I am trying to think well by looking for an objective basis rooted in reality itself for proper moral action. If that’s what you mean then yep, I’m rationalizing.
value is not objective. you can't find a "objective" reaosn to value anything. there is no objective proof in nature to value one thing as opposed to another. no reason why we should look for one. there's no reason objectivity should be such a high value that's' the only way to think about things. people have forgotten the true nature of value becuase they are trying to prove it with idiotic scinece. science can't tell us how to live!

Now, let’s test your assumption that “Selflessness for the sake of love is the higher value.” The term “love” carries a lot of mystic but when you break it down to its essence it is nothing more than a deeply felt value and feelings do not define objective value.
there is no such thing. values cannot be objective. all you are trying to tie the aura of the scientific upon the subjective as though it's a sanctification of your own desires.

referring to lose as "mystic" is not a disproof of the concept. That's really just using one value to argue against another. Values connect scientific.

One of the impetuses of 20th century scinece was "value free research." Science doesn't value values!

you are violating Hume's fork. Every time I think we are making progress you prove to me that you really are just another reductionist with no values beyond pseudo scinece of hyper empiricism.

Recall that a being with preferences, one who values, or more simply a “self” is required for the notion of value (including deep objective value) to be coherent. And recall that it is this fact that puts self at the deepest position on our hierarchy of values. What you are promoting then is that it is morally right to pursue a lesser value at the expense of a greater value.
you think stipulating the need for self in formation of values justifies selfishness? that's merely misuse of speech. Self can turn outward to others. Being "self" dose not necessitate selfishness. It's the paradox of Kierkegaard, lose yourself you find yourself. This is what Jesus talked about it, "he who loses his life for my sake shall find it."

Really? When we check to see the roots of this kind of behavior you find that it is just a cleverly disguised form of “sacrifice self for the benefit of your genes” pseudo morality and those who do it well are dead before their time. The world’s religions have all conformed to it and made it seem more palatable. There is a genetic benefit, but we have no moral obligation to our genes. And yes, the beneficiary benefits too, but you have yet to come up with a reason why we ought to sacrifice ourself for others.

what are you talking about here? you are confusing two different things.

I most certainly have told you exactly why we should sacrifice ourselves for other: becuase it's right. it's the basis act of love. Love is the background of the moral universe.

Lose si certainly not veg. you merely avoid reading philosophers who can talk about it. aka Neiburh, Fletcher, Augustine. Love = the will to the good of the other.

Finally, I had said, “So long as our existence is required in order to coherently discuss those things that are of value to us, our existence is at the bottom of our value chain, whether we grasp that fact or not.” Metacrock responded,
Metacrock: That's a rationalization born by the belief that we have no after life. If we are spiritual beings and if we live on after death in some form then we are not limited by this life. thus our temporal survival is not the greatest value.
Rob:No, there is another kind of survival. I said previously that the stuff (whether spirit stuff, soul stuff, material stuff) that we are of, the stuff that constitutes us is necessarily eternal stuff (ex nihilo nihil fit).
another kind but it's trivial. It's temporal, sort, like the due of morning soon Gone. the other is permanent, eternal.

But it’s quite a stretch to conclude that our infinite other existences are affected by the choices made in this life.
why? what streach? it explains perfectly why we are given a brief time on earth before eternity. We have a chance to make choices and the choices we make determine what happens. that's logical.

No, what we have a justified basis to conclude is that the context for moral action is this life, not the sweet sweet by and by.
You are casting it in those terms to discourage the realization of the emptiness of your value system and the temporarily of your views. It's a distortion of what I said becasue obviously what I said pertains to this life too.If it doesn't why talk of choices? The overall value system is only meaningful in relation to metaphysical reality. A value system rooted only in materialism and this life is not a value system at all. Its' an anti-value system because you are actually teaching the dis value of all real values.

The morality that you are promoting was correctly identified by Nietzsche to be nihilism (stripping this life of significance and meaning in order to invest in an afterlife).
Nietzsche was a fool. He was insane and he wanted to promote his won sense of self worship above all other values. Just because he made a declaration doesn't prove he's right.

The fact that you are alive today tells me that deep down you agree. Your just a little confused on what's really at bottom.

Rob
what utter bull shit. I'm alive because God saved me life and prevent me from killing myself.

If your view is correct you should be able to prove it, not appeal to your favorite immoral thinkers but by scientific data. You must show me some science that proves what values should be. where do you begin? you don't have a starting point.

The materialist/syndicalist must strat from his own selfish desire because his only frame of reference apart form dead matter. With belief in God comes a built in ethical system that is tied to the existence of God. If as long belief in God rationally warranted so are the values he teaches.

DT1138

Post by DT1138 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm

It seems to me the issue is the mateirialistic presuppositions of the atheist.

The materialist says self interest is living a long time and not risking your life too much or sticking your neck out too much for other people, and while doing so, maximizing pleasure. Lots of pleasure and longevity.

The Buddhist says self-interest is release from Samsara's pleasures, which are only purchased through pain, stress, and angst, fuelling the formation via karma of sentient creatures in more Samsara. So the Buddhist sees transcending both pleasure and pain, not maximizing lifespan and pleasure, as the highest good. Since the self doesn't exist in an absolute way, death is not as tragic as in the materialistic vision, and there are reasons to choose a noble death with hardship and less thriving over an ignoble life of pleasure and plenty, if it leads to the cessation of suffering for oneself or others.

The Christian sees self-interest as the beatific vision after death, to live with the full knowledge of absolute beauty, truth, and goodness and to avoid being consumed by sin so that one ends alienated from God forever. On the other hand, the materialist atheists goals can conflict with this since what is pleasurable may not necessarily lead to a purgation of sin in ones life. Realizing the goodness, truth, and beauty of God in ones life requires "self-sacrifice" from the materialistic perspective. "I must decrease so that He may increase".

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 am

Buddhism leads to a recursion unless you take it in a practical way. one could say "I desire giving up desire is a desire." If you seek enlightenment you must want it, that's a desire so you have not given up desire.

Robin Yergenson

Post by Robin Yergenson » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:01 am

Hi Metacrock,

I’m on the Island of Kauai for my daughter’s wedding followed by a family vacation. Yes, it’s selfish of me. Now, our conversation is exploding in too many directions so I’m going to take a step back and try to identify the essential area of disagreement:

a) We agree that self interest is important and that undue self sacrifice is immoral. We may even agree on where the sweet spot is. But you don’t seem to want to agree that self is the basis for our value system. We would probably make similar choices in avoiding undue sacrifice. Mine would be based on the fact that it is immoral to pursue a lesser value at the expense of a greater value (the valuer’s own living and thriving). You have not identified a reason to avoid undue self sacrifice other than “to everything there is a season,” which offers no guide at all.
b) You say “values cannot be objective.” Yes they can. For example, it is an objective fact that a drink of water is a benefit and therefore an objective value to a dehydrated man whether his subjective whim prefers it or not.
c) You think there is meaning in "he who loses his life for my sake shall find it" when in fact it is deeply immoral nihilistic self destructive arbitrary authority based nonsense rooted in “sacrifice self for the benefit of your genes” (we are genetically wired to sacrifice for the benefit of our genes, but as I have pointed out before, our genes don’t define morality).
d) I said, “The fact that you are alive today tells me that deep down you agree. Your just a little confused on what's really at bottom.” You say,
If your view is correct you should be able to prove it, not appeal to your favorite immoral thinkers but by scientific data. You must show me some science that proves what values should be. Where do you begin? You don't have a starting point.
I have demonstrated my “view” repeatedly. I begin with reality itself, in particular, our nature as organisms. What could be more basic, more fundamental than reality itself? Here it is again:
Rob:
You don’t refute this demonstration with potty language or by accusing me of “rationalizing” or of being a “materialist/syndicalist (whatever that is).” You merely evade it. Not good. And you say,
The materialist/syndicalist must start from his own selfish desire because his only frame of reference apart from dead matter. With belief in God comes a built in ethical system that is tied to the existence of God. If as long belief in God rationally warranted so are the values he teaches.
Just more arbitrariness. Come on. Don’t you have something substantial to respond with? That or more potty language, erroneous inflammatory comments against great thinkers, and arbitrariness. Your choice…

Rob

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 am

I'm glad to hear that you are still sticking with the confab!

congrats on your daughter's wedding!

Merry Chrsitmas!

I'll get to your comments latter, I will! promise.

:mrgreen: