boo boo boo

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: boo boo boo

Post by Metacrock » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 pm

QuantumTroll wrote:
MonolithTMA wrote:I guess I'm just not sure what the point is in saying that there is no private language. The discussion, in some odd way, reminds me of Schrödinger's cat.
To summarize my take on things: Metacrock's point with the Boo boo boo story is that religious traditions can be considered meaningful if you think of them as a language for communicating religious experience.

yes that's the more immediate application
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:55 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:J.R.R. Tolkien created languages that were used by fictional characters. Inspired by him , I created a skeleton of a language when I was a kid. I have no idea what I did with those notes, so it is lost to me. The creators of Star Trek created languages. I know at least part of the New Testament has been translated into Klingon.

Are you saying that if those languages were not shared that they wouldn't be legitimate languages?

but his are all based upon real linguistic principles and real languages. Its' not private in that it's not just in his head alone. It's on paper.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Metacrock wrote:
QuantumTroll wrote:
MonolithTMA wrote:I guess I'm just not sure what the point is in saying that there is no private language. The discussion, in some odd way, reminds me of Schrödinger's cat.
To summarize my take on things: Metacrock's point with the Boo boo boo story is that religious traditions can be considered meaningful if you think of them as a language for communicating religious experience.

yes that's the more immediate application
Ahh, it all becomes clearer now. :-)
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong