Rumble in the Ethical Jungle: Rawls vs. Aristotle

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
Rumble in the Ethical Jungle: Rawls vs. Aristotle

Post by Magritte » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:37 pm

part the first http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.ca/2 ... ng-of.html

part the second http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.ca/2 ... of_18.html

I thought this would be right up Miles' alley.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Re: Rumble in the Ethical Jungle: Rawls vs. Aristotle

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

The author seems to share my want to have our Rawlsian cake with virtuous icing and eat it.

If I have an issue with Rawls, it is more at his foundation of his argument with the veil of ignorance scenario. As much as I would like for it to work, I don't think it quite works due to the fact that it requires these individuals to form a contract devoid of community, family, or history, the very context necessary for moral decisions , as it is relationships that form morality. Furthermore, without these things you have an incomplete concept of the self, which is problematic when you are conceiving individuals forming a social contract. I would recommend Michael Sandel's "Liberalism and the Limits of Justice"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism ... of_Justice
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm

http://www.justiceharvard.org/2011/02/episode-11/#watch

Here's a decent episode, covering part of my issue.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm

http://www.justiceharvard.org/2011/02/episode-11/#watch

DOUBLE POST DRINK FLEET

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Ooh, double post!

* runs for the bottle *

Thanks Miles, I needed that.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:http://www.justiceharvard.org/2011/02/episode-11/#watch

I saw that show a year or two ago. I watched several episodes. It's excellent. I was surprised that I found more to disagree with Rawls about but not about his dealings with constitutionalism or Util.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:The author seems to share my want to have our Rawlsian cake with virtuous icing and eat it.
That's the thing I like about Massimo, his evenhandedness and recognition that every school of thought and every thinker has both merits and warts. He does take sides but never in a doctrinaire or chauvinist manner.
If I have an issue with Rawls, it is more at his foundation of his argument with the veil of ignorance scenario. As much as I would like for it to work, I don't think it quite works due to the fact that it requires these individuals to form a contract devoid of community, family, or history, the very context necessary for moral decisions , as it is relationships that form morality. Furthermore, without these things you have an incomplete concept of the self, which is problematic when you are conceiving individuals forming a social contract. I would recommend Michael Sandel's "Liberalism and the Limits of Justice"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism ... of_Justice
That was my reaction upon learning about the veil of ignorance - that it decontextualizes things. However I haven't read Theory of Justice, just read about Rawls from other people so I'll reserve judgement. Will check out that Sandel video.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm

The issue I do have with some of potential narrative view of favoritism with things like family, country, or friendship, is the usual potential for vices like nepotism, nationalism and unhealthy conservatism (in whatever form it may take whether left or right *looks at China*). Actually China kind of has all of those qualities (but I still love em' :mrgreen: ) But I'm getting off topic.

But then there is always a "golden mean" to these things isn't there.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Are there any ethicists who criticize moral / ethical ideas from any other angle than "program the robot to make peanut butter"?

You know the exercise - you get one person to write instructions for making a peanut butter sandwich, and someone else has to follow them literally. Open the jar of peanut butter. So your "robot" drops it on the floor and it shatters. Oops, you didn't specify that he should take the lid off. OK, so you tell him to take the lid off. He starts biting at it. Oops, you didn't specify that he should use his hand and twist. And so on.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 am

Magritte wrote:Are there any ethicists who criticize moral / ethical ideas from any other angle than "program the robot to make peanut butter"?

You know the exercise - you get one person to write instructions for making a peanut butter sandwich, and someone else has to follow them literally. Open the jar of peanut butter. So your "robot" drops it on the floor and it shatters. Oops, you didn't specify that he should take the lid off. OK, so you tell him to take the lid off. He starts biting at it. Oops, you didn't specify that he should use his hand and twist. And so on.
Well we always do run into different ways to screw up don't we.

Then again, the virtue ethics seem to emphasis "practical wisdom" a lot. So they might just say "follow your instincts."

But then they deal more with the question of "how should I live my life" rather than "what is the right thing to do." Closely related questions.

However I'm not sure how the ethical criticism relates to that. Do you mean in the sense of going after what fits our logic but constantly running into situations that end with the logic of the morals contradicting our instincts and moral intuitions so we think "hmm that's not quite right"?