AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

rvhill
Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Post by rvhill » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:34 pm

like I said it a couple of point lower then mine, but at least he did us his intelect for more then masterbation.

the internet kiddies why thing they are smart, and have no understanding of the IQ score. like IQ test or scores don't very( this one alway make me laugh) also they don't understan any score over 155 on any test is meaningless.

rvhill

Post by rvhill » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:34 pm

rvhill wrote:like I said it a couple of point lower then mine, but at least he did us his intelect for more then masterbation.

the internet kiddies why thing they are smart, and have no understanding of the IQ score make me laugh. like IQ test or scores don't very( this one alway make me laugh) also they don't understan any score over 155 on any test is meaningless.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:36 pm

rvhill wrote:like I said it a couple of point lower then mine, but at least he did us his intelect for more then masterbation.

the internet kiddies why thing they are smart, and have no understanding of the IQ score. like IQ test or scores don't very( this one alway make me laugh) also they don't understan any score over 155 on any test is meaningless.

I think all IQ scores are meaningless and standardized tests are meaningless. I have high IQ

I know it's mental maturity and it does change.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

rvhill

Post by rvhill » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Metacrock wrote:

I think all IQ scores are meaningless and standardized tests are meaningless. I have high IQ

Because of my disability I had an IQ test twice a year every year growing up. I took every IQ test known in the late 70s, more then once. I only scored once below the non measurable line. My father took one in high school and only score a 99, and he is about as smart as I am. He just couldn't read at the time. After high school he went on to read a lot of very hard books to read like Kant's The Critique of Practical Reason, and others.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:06 pm

rvhill wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

Because of my disability I had an IQ test twice a year every year growing up. I took every IQ test known in the late 70s, more then once. I only scored once below the non measurable line. My father took one in high school and only score a 99, and he is about as smart as I am. He just couldn't read at the time. After high school he went on to read a lot of very hard books to read like Kant's The Critique of Practical Reason, and others.

my brother and I have some math problem that's the equivalent of dyslexia. I know i can do math because as an adult i hired a tutor stated from 1 + 1 and learned algebra before I stopped. I was preparing for the GRE. But growing up I could not bring myself to listen. I don't know if it was anxiety or fear or what. I just hated it so I didn't want to learn it.

we were not learning to read and not learning math the Dallas School system said we must be retarted. So they sent us to have tests. The testers were amazed. They were so fascinated with talking to us they were bringing in people in while lab coats from down the hall and activing like this is a very big deal.

when we took the test and couldn't do they math they got less excited. But they told my parents there was no way we could know the things we knew and say the things we said be less than extremely bright. But clearly had some strange specialized problems they didn't understand. So my parents went on through the maze, discovered Scottish rite and got us help with dyslexia then we discovered philosophy and literature and that was it. We never put the books down.

I think math was just boring. It has to do wit the way it was taught. When I first found set theory I took to it immediately. I found it fascinating and said "where has this stuff been all my life?"

I think the thing is my brother is a poet and Im' a theolgoians, that's all there is to it. We are not mathematicians or bean counters. We wanted to learn ideas we don't want to learn figuring. set theory is more like ideas, so that really turns me own.

LACanuck

Post by LACanuck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am

Metacrock wrote:We wanted to learn ideas we don't want to learn figuring. set theory is more like ideas, so that really turns me own.
All of math is ideas. Any correspondence to reality is purely coincidental :)

Actually, I agree that the problem lies in how math is taught. More accurately, it's a combination of how math is taught and how math progresses. Unlike most other subjects taught in school, math depends on how much you remember from earlier grades. If you don't get your addition tables down cold, multiplication is harder. If you don't get your multiplication tables down cold, algebra is harder. If you don't get algebra, word problems are harder. If you don't get word problems, calculus is harder. So if you're a student that is having trouble with math later in your high school career, odds are pretty good that you had issues with math much, much earlier.

Add to this progression the fact that many people are fearful of math. Could be that they 'inherit' that fear from their parents. It could be that the way math is structured runs counter to our inate mathematical ability. But the result is that math tends to be either loved or hated by students.

And, so you know, this comes from someone who was on the 'love' side of the ledger. I went on to get a BMath, so I must have. :)

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:28 pm

that is very true. I remember my parents telling me to memorize the talbes and I just hated doing it. It seemed to me if you just knew the steps it wouldn't matter. But then I forgot the steps. I think the thing is once I got behind and quite listening it was all over. from there on it's jut further and further behind.

But I have a friend who is a mathematician. He could debate Hans and probably beat him, on math I mean. He does all that bottles without tops and stuff. He says he hates to figure. He's not very good at "figuring." He can't do algebra but he can show you why certain questions on the GRE are wrong in the official answers. He can deal with levels of math that look like modern art to me, but he can't figure the bill at a restaurant. Says he just hates doing it.

I guess that's kind of like me, only I got further behind at the beginning. Then lower grads put such stress on just figuring its' a turn off.

I just wanted to spend my mental energy on history and Philosophy and things like that. Still do.

rvhill

Post by rvhill » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:45 pm

The thing about math is it bores me, but I am very good at it. When I was in school I could out multiply a calculator to any 3 digits( like 347 * 49. can't do it now. I might need a couple of years to get back up to speed). I got in to trouble in trig and calc because I didn't like writing everything down.

LACanuck

Post by LACanuck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:32 pm

This just came though one of my RSS feeds and, given our current conversation, I couldn't help sharing :)

http://tinyurl.com/5o8us4

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:01 am

LACanuck wrote: All of math is ideas. Any correspondence to reality is purely coincidental :)
Hogwash. This is just nonsense. .......and I yes I know where you are coming from and I don't intend to have a protracted argument - if this issue hasn't been settled yet in the 80 years or so since is was formally stated, I don't see bringing it to conclusion now.

Just know that you have a foe :evil:

heh. 8-)

-sgtt.
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")