secilarism and inner life

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
secilarism and inner life

Post by Metacrock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:29 pm

a post on another board spoke of beautiful idea of world with no God, anti-theistic world.

there's a film to w2atch

my answer
That op is very silly he's missing the boat on so many levels. He get's that the empty reduction ist view doesn't speak to "the heart " (metaphorical heart) and gets that it has not been replaced with anything, What he doesn't get is the reason. Because in religion is contained all the basic stuff that makes life worth living. He is quite wrong when he says that religion ignores the inner life. Totally wrong! religion is known developing the inner life. Dawkins who denies the inner life.

the further you go away from a transcendence the less of that inner life you have look at art, literature, philosophy, psychology all the thinkers who has any inkling of something beyond the reductive had life the reductionists have only sterile understandings of parts,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q715ty5hLt4
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Re: secilarism and inner life

Post by met » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:45 pm

"Imagine there's no heaven..... Tra la la la"

Well, I not sure there is this generic-blob thing called 'religion' about which we can make such sweeping, inclusive statements and would like to know what he means by that term, and why he thinks it denies the inner life....before I rose up to refute it.

I don't see any simple dichotomy or opposition.. there's no essential ' us vs.them' here for me.... and 'the church', too, has been known to repress many thoughts, beliefs, expressions, and so on throughout its history...
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:50 pm

met wrote:"Imagine there's no heaven..... Tra la la la"

Well, I not sure there is this generic-blob thing called 'religion' about which we can make such sweeping, inclusive statements and would like to know what he means by that term, and why he thinks it denies the inner life....before I rose up to refute it.

I don't see any simple dichotomy or opposition.. there's no essential ' us vs.them' here for me.... and 'the church', too, has been known to repress many thoughts, beliefs, expressions, and so on throughout its history...
all religions seek to define the human problematic then resolve it with transformative experience. that clearly demarcates various groups, cults, and social institutions as "religious." Then church adds another layer since it has a more self interested view3 point on what it's all about.

met

Post by met » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:56 pm

I dunno.. does that demarcate Alcoholics Anonymous as 'religious'? Well some commentators have thought so....

Agree on 'church'. The problem with any instoitution is it becomes a virtual entity itself, whose primary purpose is then its own survival and propogation....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:24 am

met wrote:I dunno.. does that demarcate Alcoholics Anonymous as 'religious'? Well some commentators have thought so....

Agree on 'church'. The problem with any instoitution is it becomes a virtual entity itself, whose primary purpose is then its own survival and propogation....
you are right about institutions. I don't know I AA seeks to mediate UTE

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Metacrock wrote:a post on another board spoke of beautiful idea of world with no God, anti-theistic world.

there's a film to w2atch

my answer
That op is very silly he's missing the boat on so many levels. He get's that the empty reduction ist view doesn't speak to "the heart " (metaphorical heart) and gets that it has not been replaced with anything, What he doesn't get is the reason. Because in religion is contained all the basic stuff that makes life worth living. He is quite wrong when he says that religion ignores the inner life. Totally wrong! religion is known developing the inner life. Dawkins who denies the inner life.

the further you go away from a transcendence the less of that inner life you have look at art, literature, philosophy, psychology all the thinkers who has any inkling of something beyond the reductive had life the reductionists have only sterile understandings of parts,

You're saying that Fry says that religion ignores the inner life? I didn't get that. I got that he's saying we don't have to look outside of ourselves for transcendence, morality, etc. It's all within us. Fry's speech sounds a little glib and superficial. Sure the "fire" is in us but what are the reasons and the implications of that?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:48 am

Jim B. wrote:
Metacrock wrote:a post on another board spoke of beautiful idea of world with no God, anti-theistic world.

there's a film to w2atch

my answer

You're saying that Fry says that religion ignores the inner life? I didn't get that. I got that he's saying we don't have to look outside of ourselves for transcendence, morality, etc. It's all within us. Fry's speech sounds a little glib and superficial. Sure the "fire" is in us but what are the reasons and the implications of that?
he says specifically don't let religion be associated with spirituality and creativity.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Metacrock wrote:

he says specifically don't let religion be associated with spirituality and creativity.
He said we shouldn't allow religion the trick of making us think that it invented those things or that those things are exclusive to religion. He said religion shouldn't have a monopoly on such matters.

met

Post by met » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Peter Rollins talks about "religion" as an attempt to avoid, rather than encounter God sometimes, in a Kierkegaard sort of way, or in the sense that a ritual may be aiming to appease divine beings and thus prevent a visitation ... (which, after all, may well be presenting itself in the form of a drought, flood, or other disaster) . :shock:
Dr Ward Blanton

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:51 am

met wrote:Peter Rollins talks about "religion" as an attempt to avoid, rather than encounter God sometimes, in a Kierkegaard sort of way, or in the sense that a ritual may be aiming to appease divine beings and thus prevent a visitation ... (which, after all, may well be presenting itself in the form of a drought, flood, or other disaster) . :shock:
Religion is a very interesting topic. It has been a very frustrating for me.

When I was a little girl and I went to the temple, or more correctly, the Gurdwara, it was something that we did as a community. Going to the House of God was an opportunity to get together. To, perchance, be spiritual and be refreshed. Maybe as a child I saw things that way?

I feel we lose our basic spiritual connection when people began to think that this was very serious, and it had to be done right.

So I can see how when people are confronted with the ultra-religious attitudes that they might think that the world would be a lot better place without religion. It's a very grey area to insist that people should or should not believe in God. And to paraphrase the introduction of Meta's book, it really isn't anyone's business what you believe.
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.