Can you explain what God is?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

sgttomas
Re: Can you explain what God is?

Post by sgttomas » Thu May 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Superfund wrote: God has spoken to my heart since I was a boy, and when in suffering depression, which I have most of my life, when that thought center collapses God has always been there for me. So I find Krishnamurti understanding very useful that I can negate the 'thinker' in a positive way that has real meaning to me. And also to begin to understand the 'field of thought' and its very real limitation and not have to be subject to that limitation at any given time quite a powerful prospect. to negate the 'thinker' and really live with something for a moment or just to live and experience that majesty and beauty that is God. I believe God put Krishnamurti my way so I could understand and also know in a deep and very personal way how much God loves me. Perhaps like the parable of the sower thought and psychological time can be like the thorns and thistles and the birds that steal our moments away..To live a moment within that glorious beauty etc
I hear ya.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

sgttomas

Re: Can you explain what God is?

Post by sgttomas » Thu May 12, 2016 8:10 pm

"The natural state of the human being is a percipient state, because one thing we know about ourselves is that we do perceive things and not just form but also meaning. Unlike anything else in creation we can conceive of abstractions, we can derive conclusions from the evidence around us. We have the capacity to look at the painfully diverse fact of being, what the philosopher Heidegger called our gelassenheit, the fact that “it’s just there” - the existential pain of there being something at all. We have the ability to look into it and look beyond it, which is where religion begins. And I mean here “real religion” not just something inherited, something you do to not feel bad about yourself, something you do in order to feel superior to others - real religion, which is about self knowledge and the journey within."

https://youtu.be/YdX_6LXCjcE

~Abdal Hakim Murad
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")