Myth as Meth

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

sgttomas
Re: Myth as Meth

Post by sgttomas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 pm

met wrote:Well, my guess - even if it's mostly just from personal experience and reflection - is that there's some OTHER, critical aspect of human life and intelligence that could (perhaps) be best described as transpersonal, relational, entangled and/or collective ...or something like that? This is currently barely inscribed At ALL in Western models of "intelligence", which tend to over-individuate 'the individual mind'' into 'the individual brain' mostly for ideological reasons while tending to overlook all the subtler clues about interconnections?
Is the "facticity of meaning" you are finding in Malabou's writing a candidate?
met wrote:(Like, you know, the problem is the Western insistence on mega-strong individual identities and impermeable ego boundaries that goes all the way back to the Roman Empire?) Its a deeply-set bias, too, especially among the class and mindsets of the Westerners who mostly do cognitive and neuroscience, so it might be awhile, if ever, before "the science" can properly integrate that into its models. So this, in the worse case scenario, might even give us a fighting chance against the upcoming super-AI'd warrior class, after all, even if it does turn out that they really do wanna fight and dominate us, instead of merely pondering the possibilities of their existence vs their non-existence.
Since we're going sci-fi, I'll posit that the super-AI entities will read - and take seriously - the wisdom traditions of our culture, and then far exceed our "collective" strength. Of course, being evil, they will use it to dominate us :twisted:
met wrote:Btw, perhaps that "magical" thing could be a quantum factor? I dunno ... (I did put a note about the physicist Wolfgang Pauling's influence on CG Jung on that other thread too, for Mag).
Yeah....well.....I guess it's mainstream now to ponder that reality isn't as well grounded in tangible, discrete matter like we would have hoped. https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... imulation/
met wrote:Anyway, now I need a romantic-sounding, sappy quote? ....how 'bout Derrida at (perhaps) his sappiest?.... :oops: :oops: :oops: I
The difference that lies at the heart of the “I” is the difference between me and an “intruder,” the other of me in me, “the heart of the other”: “touching, in any case, touches the heart and on the heart, but inasmuch as it is always the heart of the other.” For that reason, “no one should ever be able to say ‘my heart,’ my own heart.… There would be nothing and there would no longer be any question without this originary exappropriation and without a certain ‘stolen heart.’”

On Touching
This...? http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia ... tanglement (or the Buzz Feed versionif you prefer)
met wrote:Okay, now maybe we'll all have to learn more about Jung, for a start....
[/quote]

Indeed. Seems like a worthy thing to do.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:44 pm

met wrote:And I suppose that's saying there might be strengths as well as weaknesses in the 'blindness'' of our brains'?

....perhaps, sometimes, it's not good to 'know' everything you know....
Forgetting can be a mercy. (PTSD)

This was a very interesting episode...if I remember properly :idea: http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1551942417

I feel the emphasis on "overcoming" our humanity is overwhelming in our culture....except this "overcoming" isn't overcoming of vice, or of suffering, but of *being* through transforming our selves like a machine. I'm obviously not remarking on some new idea. I'm just overwhelmed by it.

-sgtt
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

met

Post by met » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:43 pm

This book by a Croatian theologian has a lot to say about that....

More later!

(I'ma gonna spin one of your podcast links just now....) 8-)
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:33 pm

sgttomas wrote:
I feel the emphasis on "overcoming" our humanity is overwhelming in our culture....except this "overcoming" isn't overcoming of vice, or of suffering, but of *being* through transforming our selves lioke a machine. I'm obviously not remarking on some new idea. I'm just overwhelmed by it.

-sgtt
Ok....so as much as I appreciate it, it never fails to be a little unnerving how well google knows me. But I guess the warm and fuzzy version is to say that there must be plenty of other people like me for google's algorithms to suggest a video like this one so soon after I wrote this paragraph, above.

https://youtu.be/ib6H8jg-f2w

I'm completely enthralled by everything he said and the means by which he said it.

Super geeked

-sgttomas

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 pm

met wrote:
This book by a Croatian theologian has a lot to say about that....

More later!
Oh....wow.

Yes please

-sgtt