Ethical naturalism" contra scientific ethics

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator: Metacrock

Metacrock

Ethical naturalism" contra scientific ethics

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:30 am

Read blog article and comment om the blog (please!), discuss here :mrgreen:

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2016/09/e ... stems.html
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Re: Ethical naturalism" contra scientific ethics

Post by Magritte » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:14 am

Joe, have you read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt? It's excellent, I'm reading it now. I'm actually loath to comment too much on the subject until I'm finished. Extremely relevant. Provides a lot of empirical evidence, both socio-psychological and neurological, to show that E. O. Wilson was on the right track. So was Hume, essentially.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Magritte wrote:Joe, have you read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt? It's excellent, I'm reading it now. I'm actually loath to comment too much on the subject until I'm finished. Extremely relevant. Provides a lot of empirical evidence, both socio-psychological and neurological, to show that E. O. Wilson was on the right track. So was Hume, essentially.
I've seen an extended interview with him on C-Span and exchanged a few emails with him (not very enlightening). I have misgivings about his approach but admittedly haven't read the book. I look forward to your observations about it.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 am

Jim B. wrote:
Magritte wrote:Joe, have you read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt? It's excellent, I'm reading it now. I'm actually loath to comment too much on the subject until I'm finished. Extremely relevant. Provides a lot of empirical evidence, both socio-psychological and neurological, to show that E. O. Wilson was on the right track. So was Hume, essentially.
I've seen an extended interview with him on C-Span and exchanged a few emails with him (not very enlightening). I have misgivings about his approach but admittedly haven't read the book. I look forward to your observations about it.
Wilson's major point is one of opinion and interpretation fact has nothing to do with it. I've been reading the preface to the book imn look inside the book on amazom . it appear that he asserts the inanimate nature of morality based upon kids figuring our rules. That is self fulfilling because he asserts the rule are bs and there;x no supreme rule giver then finds kids are learning rules for themselves and since there's no supreme rule giver noting is wrong so asserts this is what is so it's what should be,. there is no grand rule being violated because there no grand rules to violate.

the basis of his view is Pierget and Kohlberg--btw Jim remember my proof Victor worsfold? He TAed for Kohlberg--anyway that's good I like those guys, I like the stages I'm s liberal I dom't want kids stuck im the conventiomnal thing, But where as he assert thkjs reason to think there is no supreme law giver I don't

He thinks, I assume, the kids are figuring what is inv them to know,m the innate apparatus that allows response to problems then the rst is natural trial anc error. But none of that disproves the notion ot right and wrong, it must we ev have right and wrong innately in us and we have to figure it owut for ourselves but we have an inside track. we are et up to find it.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:13 am

no none commented on the blog