Schweitzer and the Death of Civilization

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Schweitzer and the Death of Civilization

Post by Metacrock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 am

I was inspired to re-publish this essay by discussion on Secular Outpost by KIeith Parsons about"what do we now" that the election is over,k his argument is that truth is in danger, the social concept of truth is being destroyed by the political process.blog because the argument it makes is that civilization is dead; civilization is not freeways and in-door plumbing but the ethical concepts that foster a civilized attitude toward life. Keith Person's talking about saving the concept of truth made me think of this.

please comment on blog and discuss here

part 1
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2016/12/a ... th-of.html

part 2 (today)
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2016/12/a ... of_13.html
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

sgttomas

Re: Schweitzer and the Death of Civilization

Post by sgttomas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:53 am

Thank you for re-posting these, Metacrock. I started reading it now.

-sgtt
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm

sgttomas wrote:Thank you for re-posting these, Metacrock. I started reading it now.

-sgtt
what do you think so far?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Yeah I found the diagnosis of the sickness to be spot on. Thank you very much for sharing that. It's really....hmm.....I value all the expressions of our spiritual death so that it can speak to our condition in many different ways. It's also fascinating to hear someone speak that way because we have seemingly lost the ability to even speak like that in a public discourse, which is of course something that you commented yourself in the article.

This was my comment on the blog:
"Worldview is essential in restoring civilization, because we are, as a society, ultimately limited by the world view in which we live. World view is the conceptual limit upon our ability to infuse into society an attitude of struggle toward civilization. "That world view is optimistic which gives existence the preference as against non-existence and thus affirms life as something processing value in itself. From this attitude to the universe results the impulse to raise existence...to its highest level of value. Thence originates activity directed to the improvement of living conditions of individuals, of society, of nations and of humanity, and from it spring the external achievements of civilization..." "

....so what did he think could possibly inspire this level of spiritual renewal in humanity? It's a nice sentiment. What is the foundation?
Thank you for your answer on the blog, which was essentially that he saw that the only way to bring about such a revival was to live those values himself, through his service. That's a profound answer.

I dunno.....it's.....it feels like I'm going through a second death to the world at the moment. All the materialist nonsense became dead to me about 10 years ago, and now all the value systems of our world that I didn't even really understand were present in my heart are laying dead at my feet. All that remains is the faint echo of righteousness and the memory of people who used to live as if that were the highest form of life and the fulfillment of our being.

God bless.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")