Christianity and Buddhism

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: Christianity and Buddhism

Post by Metacrock » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:34 pm

sorry I took so long to get back to you Hazard. I am fundamentally in agreement with you. But I think God is working in all cultures, so I don't' see it as lost Buddhists need Jesus so they want go to hell.I see it as everyone needs Jesus so they will know god fully. I'm not saying you are pushing the hell thing. I'm just talking about my own views.

mediation is not necessarily going into a trance. There are forms of mediation in the Bible. in psalms David writes about "babbling" before the Lord. I can't produce chapter and verse right now.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:06 am

Metacrock wrote:sorry I took so long to get back to you Hazard. I am fundamentally in agreement with you. But I think God is working in all cultures, so I don't' see it as lost Buddhists need Jesus so they want go to hell.I see it as everyone needs Jesus so they will know god fully. I'm not saying you are pushing the hell thing. I'm just talking about my own views.

mediation is not necessarily going into a trance. There are forms of mediation in the Bible. in psalms David writes about "babbling" before the Lord. I can't produce chapter and verse right now.
Yes, no worries mate.

I see what you saying.God wants all men to be saved, and in another thread you and did agree some what that God judges people, even those who have not even heard of Him or His Holy Word according to the way they lived their lives in the society in which they were raised and lived. The only reason I dont know anythig about meditation is that I have never seen anything like it in action, so to speak, personally. I have seen much death, horror, destruction, pain, suffering, but i have never seen anyone meditate, except on the TV or in movies? so I know nothing about it. I know a little about speaking in tongues as taught in the Scriptures, but I have never seen this or had anything to do with it so far. I know it is one of the nine gifts of the Spirit, thats all.

Thanks mate,

Haz.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 pm

Quizalufagus wrote:
Metacrock wrote:however, for me I think the bottom line of the Christian tradition is Christ himself. that's the diving line. you are not a Christian just barbecue you think Jesus was a great guy, nor even if you think he was the greatest great guy. It's more than that. There has to be a devotion to Jesus himself and an understanding of his atonement on the cross and how it effects your salvation. but that doesn't negate understanding other views or pracities of meditation.
This is really the definition of "Christian" I was thinking of in my OP. Why would a Buddhist need or want salvation?

true but as my Dad used to say, when we would say "my does Marshal Dillion have to go all the way to wherever to find out if Chester is ok, why doesn't he just telegraph the sheriff there to do it?" he would say "then they wouldn't have a story." Its' an interesting question, who cares if it could never come up?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:33 am

OF course, the Buddhist needs salvation for the dsame reason others need it. Bcause without Salvation we are lost.

Damnaiton is hrdly a better option.

That woudl cover the need aspect. As for wantign it, thats up tp the individual we are speakign of.

Theognosis

Post by Theognosis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 am

ZAROVE wrote:Damnaiton is hrdly a better option.
The problem with this approach is that you would need to sell the idea of hell to the Buddhist before you could sell the idea of salvation. I don't think it's going to work. To begin with, Christianity was never like that until the idea of satisfaction of sins was invented in the west several centuries after Christ.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:14 am

Theo, I'm not tryin to sell anything to a Buddhist.

I was answering Quiz's queastion. He asked why a Buddhist Monk would need Salvation. Well, the reason the Buddhist Mink needs Salvaion is the same reason everyoen else needs it, because we are lost, seperated from God by our sins, and on the course toward our own Desturction. This would include the Buddhist.

I'd not approach a Buddhist with that sort of mean, but I'd most assuredly address an Atheist who is asking such a queastion as why a Buddhist needs Salvation in this Fashion.

After all, if Christianity is true, which is what I beleive, then the need for Salvation will be Universal to all of Humanity, and for exaclty the same reason.

But it seems Quizalufagus has left the forum, regretasbly. I've not seen him in a number of days, which now exceeds a week. I fear that he may have wondered off, leaivng our discussions to us.

At any rate, it was an answer to that.

Theognosis

Post by Theognosis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Theo, I'm not tryin to sell anything to a Buddhist.

I was answering Quiz's queastion. He asked why a Buddhist Monk would need Salvation. Well, the reason the Buddhist Mink needs Salvaion is the same reason everyoen else needs it, because we are lost, seperated from God by our sins, and on the course toward our own Desturction. This would include the Buddhist.

I'd not approach a Buddhist with that sort of mean, but I'd most assuredly address an Atheist who is asking such a queastion as why a Buddhist needs Salvation in this Fashion.

After all, if Christianity is true, which is what I beleive, then the need for Salvation will be Universal to all of Humanity, and for exaclty the same reason.

But it seems Quizalufagus has left the forum, regretasbly. I've not seen him in a number of days, which now exceeds a week. I fear that he may have wondered off, leaivng our discussions to us.

At any rate, it was an answer to that.
I see. For a while I thought you were advocating the "accept Jesus as your personal saviour or suffer in HELL" thing. :mrgreen:

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Well, as a matter of fact, I do read CHick tracts.

( I am wicked I know.)