I am sick of the way message boards go

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
I am sick of the way message boards go

Post by Metacrock » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:58 am

why do atheists keep having to resort to calling religous belief "delusion?" It's so immature and stupid. It's like they are alcoholics or something, just got to imbibe that hate talk.

carm athesit there's little AM who just recently threw away truth for a lie, now she has to put up threads every day about "how does the God delusion get started?" and no amount of empirical studies will ever get her to stop calling it that. You can prove it's rational, it's the result of external forces, it produced deep seated long lasting change, but it just has to be a delusion.

she's comparing it to Santa clause as though belief in Santa is something people can't help, as though it's a delusion, not a pleasant childhood hoax your parents think will amuse. what is it with these guys? are they traumatized by finding out about Santa?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Re: I am sick of the way message boards go

Post by ZAROVE » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:58 pm

why do atheists keep having to resort to calling religous belief "delusion?" It's so immature and stupid. It's like they are alcoholics or something, just got to imbibe that hate talk.

Not all Atheists do, but hose who do are simpl;y parroting the lead of Richard Dawkins and other notables who decided to call it that. Indeed, there is a tendancy for the New Atheists movement to follow the lead of others, and repeat their claims. Of ocurse this is what they accuse others of, and they deny it because they fancy themserles Freethinkers, but in the end they just repeat the same old things.

That said, the spacific reason Religion is called a Dilusion, and argied agaisnt as a danger to the existanc eof humanity, and crippling to individual lives, and somehtign that holds back Science and progress, is because they need to depict it as a great evil to both jusfify their current attack son it, and to galvinise oposition to it to help implement their own beleifs.

Its hard to het peopel to hate somethign that is not harmign anyone, and veen more difficuk to ge thtme to actively oppose osmethign benificial. Obviosuly Religion must be evil, and dilusion, otherwise, there is no reaosn to fight it so vehemently. ( And they want peopel to adipt their views by default.)

carm athesit there's little AM who just recently threw away truth for a lie, now she has to put up threads every day about "how does the God delusion get started?" and no amount of empirical studies will ever get her to stop calling it that. You can prove it's rational, it's the result of external forces, it produced deep seated long lasting change, but it just has to be a delusion.

If she only just recently converted to Atheism, her attitude not will be overzealous, for the same reaosn s is true for Christendom, to help secure herself in her new thouth patterns and help reinforce it as her new way of htinkign and acting.

she's comparing it to Santa clause as though belief in Santa is something people can't help, as though it's a delusion, not a pleasant childhood hoax your parents think will amuse. what is it with these guys? are they traumatized by finding out about Santa?

I also get a chuckle. I've told Ahtiests numerous times that I still beleive in Santa Claus. Saint Nicolas of myrna has always been a Favourite Satn of mine.

unred typo

Re: I am sick of the way message boards go

Post by unred typo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:08 am

It's so immature and stupid. It's like they are alcoholics or something, just got to imbibe that hate talk.

But you'd expect that from Atheists. I am sick of the way 'christians' on message boards go. (present company excluded) :D
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.