why are atheists like they are?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

ChumpChange
Re: why are atheists like they are?

Post by ChumpChange » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:42 pm

ZAROVE wrote:I've read "The God Dilusion", thoghh it was a couple of years bakc now and I can't assure everyone that my memory of its content is 100% . I've never read anythign by Lee Strebel outside of a few articles.

But I also have reservatiosn about the "Both sides" rule that many seem to pomulgate.

It seems thye want peopel to read sme sort of Christain apolegetic work and an Ahtiest Apologetic work to compare notes. All you end up with is a set of arugments of varyign degree of validity, but no real Substance.

Rahter than read sets of argumetns agisnt each other, I prefer to read what I htink I will gain smethign from, deviing into the Neo_Athiests apologetics books only when I need to for the sake of knowugn whats new on that front.
So what do you read? Just curious. After these two Ima read the 'Dawkins Delusion'
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

-Ecclesiastes 7:29

Antimatter

Post by Antimatter » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:27 pm

ChumpChange wrote:Actually in my experience with atheist all of these things are very true. Sorry. So if you say these things arent true then maybe your an anomaly. This post of yours sums up all the hypocrisy that comes with the atheist world view. You are close minded yet claim you arent. You are certain about everything yet you change your mind every other day. I'm not sure what your failing to understand...go to any atheist board and read for yourself.
Do you think the people who frequent atheist discussion boards are representative of atheists?

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Antimatter wrote:
ChumpChange wrote:Actually in my experience with atheist all of these things are very true. Sorry. So if you say these things arent true then maybe your an anomaly. This post of yours sums up all the hypocrisy that comes with the atheist world view. You are close minded yet claim you arent. You are certain about everything yet you change your mind every other day. I'm not sure what your failing to understand...go to any atheist board and read for yourself.
Do you think the people who frequent atheist discussion boards are representative of atheists?
Yes. They claim to be.
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Chump, I'd have to agree with AntiMatter here. The Message Board Ahteists aren't representitive of all Ahteists universally.

That said, I'd liek to note that those on these baods are those seekign argumentation to overthroe Christianity and/or other systems of Religiosuthought not in accord with their own.

Thus, it amounts to an Apologtics subset of Atheism.

There are also different sorts of Atheists in the world, from the xtandard old "I don't beelive in God" sort to the Zen Buddhist to the Randian.

That said, I tend to read more detailed Philosophical works, not direclty aimed at Defendign or discrediting certain worldviews, but explaining and examinign beelifs.

IE, I've read Rand, and while I disagree with hr on several points, and agre on others, I can safely say at leats her works are to some extent serious Philosophy.

I've also read the Church Fathers, the writtings of Alexander Cambell, Calvins "Institutes of Religion", Luthers works, Thimas Aquinas, the works of Rowan Williams, ect...

I tend to shy away from Apolegetics and mainstream fluff though.

Stroebel just doesn't allure me, nor does Dawkins. Dawkins, though, ebcame essential reading sicne he's now so freqently cited as some sort of authority in these arugments.Fortunatley Stroeble never is on my end. ( Afterall, Im a CHristian, and no Ahtiest ever uses Stroeble to prove their point.)

I've read Lewis, and I've read Marx. Ive read Plato and Ive read Lau Tsu.

A range of texts have I aquainted myself with, to broaden my insight,whilst avoidign the pericls of the popular mass publications and easy-readers with easy-answers, which sledom mean anythign beyind surface arguments.

By the way, Chump, Ar you Australian, peradventure? I ask out of curiosity.

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:08 pm

Chump, I'd have to agree with AntiMatter here. The Message Board Ahteists aren't representitive of all Ahteists universally.

That said, I'd liek to note that those on these baods are those seekign argumentation to overthroe Christianity and/or other systems of Religiosuthought not in accord with their own.

Thus, it amounts to an Apologtics subset of Atheism.
-Zarove

Yes but the same could be said for christians then.

Antimatter

Post by Antimatter » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:17 pm

ChumpChange wrote:Yes but the same could be said for christians then.
Yes, it could. I know none of you are representative of all Christians, mostly because I'm related to a whole bunch of 'em.

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:45 pm

Antimatter wrote:
ChumpChange wrote:Yes but the same could be said for christians then.
Yes, it could. I know none of you are representative of all Christians, mostly because I'm related to a whole bunch of 'em.
None of us are reps of all christians but we are christians and that means we are representing christianity in some degree by being on this board. Same goes for atheist on message boards. We may not represent all but then again who does?

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Yes bu there are many different types of Christianity.

And, also, differet tyoes of Theists.

Ahtiests also come in a variety of structures and beelifs.

Whereas it ia true that most Ahtiests encoutnedred on these types of baords are of one particular worldview, most haivng embraced Humanism and a materialsit schema, and thus being in the same general group, its harldy true of all of them.

ChumpChange

Post by ChumpChange » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Yes bu there are many different types of Christianity.

And, also, differet tyoes of Theists.

Ahtiests also come in a variety of structures and beelifs.

Whereas it ia true that most Ahtiests encoutnedred on these types of baords are of one particular worldview, most haivng embraced Humanism and a materialsit schema, and thus being in the same general group, its harldy true of all of them.

True. Good point. I find it funny the amount of atheist who claim to be humanist yet know next to nothing about the real ideas of the humanistic religion. And yes Humanism is a religion.

Antimatter

Post by Antimatter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:31 pm

ChumpChange wrote:True. Good point. I find it funny the amount of atheist who claim to be humanist yet know next to nothing about the real ideas of the humanistic religion. And yes Humanism is a religion.
Pray tell, what are the "real ideas" of humanism, and why is it a religion?