Happy Thanksgiving

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

tinythinker
Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Post by tinythinker » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:40 am

It's not a problem about the beer -- there aren't any English ex-pats living in Tennessee who post on these forums. And actually we have quite the Canadian contingent of Cannucks: met, betawoman, and sgt thomas at least. So Happy (not really) Thanksgiving :D
Adrift in the endless river

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Then what do you call me?

met

Post by met » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:10 pm

tinythinker wrote:. . actually we have quite the Canadian contingent of Canucks: met, betawoman, and sgt thomas at least. So Happy (not really) Thanksgiving :D
what? . . . not really happy? :shock:

but, but . . MINE was happy! :o

no j/k - thx TT! :)

(. .. and btw I think u need add fleetmouse to our "Canadian contingent of Canucks" . .. he's in Montreal, iirc
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:50 am

ZAROVE wrote:Then what do you call me?
you open yourself with a question like htat. But luckily here on these forums we don't take advantage of such trust. I call you a friend. :mrgreen:
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 am

Metacrock wrote:
ZAROVE wrote:Then what do you call me?
you open yourself with a question like htat. But luckily here on these forums we don't take advantage of such trust. I call you a friend. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'm surprised no one jumped in. We are very well-behaved :D

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:22 pm

But I'm still English, and I live in Tennessee. So if not an expatriot what exactly am I?

I mean, I'm an American Citesen but I'm still pretty obviously English.

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:01 pm

ZAROVE wrote:So if not an expatriot what exactly am I?
You are an American.
  • An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin term expatriātus from ex ("out of") and patriā the ablative case of patria ("country, fatherland"). This "Latin" term comes from the Greek words "exo" meaning outside, and "patrida" meaning country or fatherland.

In its broadest sense, an expatriate is any person living in a different country from where he or she is a citizen. In common usage, the term is often used in the context of professionals sent abroad by their companies, as opposed to locally hired staff (who can also be foreigners). The differentiation found in common usage usually comes down to socio-economic factors, so skilled professionals working in another country are described as expatriates, whereas a manual labourer who has moved to another country to earn more money might be labelled an 'immigrant'.
If I recall correctly you arrived in the US as a (small) child and you were raised in the US. If I am thinking of someone else please correct me, as I have met many people on message boards over the last 12 1/2 years. Since you vote, mostly likely either one or both of your parents would have had to have been US citizens or they or you underwent the process of becoming naturalized citizens. In which case "American" or "American citizen" is the correct label, although American anglophile might be most accurate.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:58 pm

That is correct, I came over when I was a small Child and was actually raised in the US. But Im still English, culturally and by blood.