Gumbasia

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Gumbasia

Post by Metacrock » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:11 pm

I am a big fan of Art Clokey creator of Gumby and Poky and Davy and Goliath. Here is some of his student film "Gumbasia" (like Fantasia for Disney). This is mid 50s. I think this shows the great creativity that was put into his work all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZzRUc2C0A
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Re: Gumbasia

Post by Magritte » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:43 am

That was great! Loved everything about it - the modern art aesthetic, the rawness of the sculpting and animation, the jazz soundtrack.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Magritte wrote:That was great! Loved everything about it - the modern art aesthetic, the rawness of the sculpting and animation, the jazz soundtrack.
I know it's cool. To think it was mid 50s!

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:09 pm

It does have a 50s vibe, tho. I imagine some stoned beatnik seeing it and going home inspired to play a ripping bongo solo punctuated with finger snapping and poetry.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 am

Magritte wrote:It does have a 50s vibe, tho. I imagine some stoned beatnik seeing it and going home inspired to play a ripping bongo solo punctuated with finger snapping and poetry.
He was a stoner. He was a hippie in the 60s