Cool, a I helped get someone to sign up

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

tinythinker
Cool, a I helped get someone to sign up

Post by tinythinker » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Of course, it was Meta that really GOT the person to sign up, because he says lots of interesting things in response to what other people post, but I helped indirectly since Meta was replying to me and the person signed up to respond to Meta's reply. Yay me. (See how desperate the ego can get? :oops:)

Anyhoo, welcome lurkers. Let us know if there is something we can say that will get you to come out your lurking and participate.
Adrift in the endless river

Metacrock

Re: Cool, a I helped get someone to sign up

Post by Metacrock » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 pm

yea thanks tiny, try to bring some skeptics in. say let's discuss something. tell me about your work as an anthropologist.

say have you read Peter Berger?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Quizalufagus

Post by Quizalufagus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 am

Haha. What sort of skeptics did you have in mind? I suspect that from your point of view I'm very skeptical. :)

What sort of board do you folks plan on this being, anyway?
Scientology is a dangerous cult.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:37 am

I don't knwo yoyu at akll, so what kind of Skeptic are you?

Quizalufagus

Post by Quizalufagus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm not sure how to answer that. Should I list everything I'm skeptical about? I'd be here all night. :P

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:57 pm

I just hope yournot a raving "New Athist" who follos the same line of thoguht as Richard Dawkisn and Sam Harris et all...

They get dull.

Quizalufagus

Post by Quizalufagus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm

What's the "new" part of "new atheist" indicate?

I don't mind Sam Harris. He seems a nice, reasonable fellow to me. Dawkins on the other hand is an utter tool. :P

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Is this the same Sam Harris who advocates Torture? ( And who critisses "religious fanatics" with its use, just a few short pages beforehand?)

The sae Sam Harris who advoxates the repeal of he ocncept of fredom of speech, in favour of demanding that peopel don't have the right to speehc if they can't logiclaly justify theirbeleifs? ( And y logiclaly justify, he means, make them fit his precponceicved notions, which narrows the feild to a set of thigns that agree wihthsi core presumptions.)

The same Sam Harris who even advzanced the proposition that some peopel shoudl be killed ont he basis of their beleifs? ( This after critisising the same behaviour in the religoous.)

Ah yes, the joys of beign nice...

Quizalufagus

Post by Quizalufagus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:16 pm

As far as I know, Harris doesn't advocate repealing free speech (or making any other similar change in domestic policy). He thinks that expressing ridiculous beliefs (e.g., religious beliefs) should be made socially unacceptable via ostracism (which is an entirely non-governmental activity), though.

He also advocates a very hard line against Islamic militants, so I wouldn't be surprised if he endorsed torturing or killing some of those folks. Of course, many other people feel that's justified, too.

I can't respond to much more than that without seeing specifics regarding your objection to Harris.

Also, once again, what's "new atheist," and how is it different from old atheism?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:45 pm

these are my boards. I mean we are a community, but they are extension of the boards I started and ran for many years. I want intellectual discussion of idea about religion, society, and life. Good will exchanges, give and take, free speech. But substantive discussion. no yammering, no trolls, no mocking. be nice, be interesting. be smart.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief