No Longer Quivering/Take Heart Project

Discuss Biblical and theological support for concept that Bible teaches equality between sexes.

Moderator:Metacrock

KR Wordgazer
No Longer Quivering/Take Heart Project

Post by KR Wordgazer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:01 pm

I have recently gotten involved with this blog:

http://nolongerquivering.com/

"No Longer Quivering" is about a woman who left the fundamentalist Christian movement known as "Quiverfull." Quiverfull believers believe in a hyper-literalistic view of the Bible and of Christianity that results in men being absolute rulers in their homes, over their wives and children; in women who stay home and have endless pregnancies because they are against birth control; in families that withdraw from the evils of the world through independent farming and homeschooling; in daughters who are discouraged from attending college and are trained to wait at home until their fathers pick the right husbands for them.

No Longer Quivering is about helping women and children who have been harmed by this cultic movement and want to escape. As a cult survivor myself (the cult I was in was called "Maranatha Campus Ministries" and though its practices and teachings were somewhat different, the top-down control and insistence on subordination was the same), I find that it gives me peace to try to help others who need to know they don't have to live like this; that they can be free.

I have been asked to be on the board of directors of a new non-profit foundation being started by the blogger on No Longer Quivering. The foundation will be called "Take Heart Project" and will be focused on helping women and children who want a new way of life, and on resources to help people in the greater community recognize when a person is feeling trapped in something like this.

I'll be posting the link to Take Heart Project when the website is complete. Thanks for reading.
Wag more.
Bark less.

met

Re: No Longer Quivering/Take Heart Project

Post by met » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Quiverfull believers believe in a hyper-literalistic view of the Bible and of Christianity that results in men being absolute rulers in their homes, over their wives and children; in women who stay home and have endless pregnancies because they are against birth control;
since Paul says it's better NOT to marry and make babies, that's not a "hyper-literalistic view" :mrgreen:

Seriously, tho, sounds like u are someone who might be able to help such people ... and i'm glad U survived your own experience, and now that u can do that, be on the board...

Congrats KR 8-) ... and i bet it's been a long path . . .
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:38 am

That's awesome, KR. Sounds like a very good thing!
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks, guys! :D

Here's a link to the new website for the charitable organization, Take Heart Project.

http://takeheartproject.org/index.htm
Wag more.
Bark less.

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:43 pm

I just posted the link on Facebook. :)

You should create a Facebook page for it if you are on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 pm

It is on Facebook already, Mike-- thanks! If you search for it, you can become a fan! :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I just did! Thanks!
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! KR! You're an Elfquest fan too! I knew I liked you! :D
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

Heh, heh. I'm a moderator on the Elfquest.com forum and the author of way too many fanfics. :twisted: Janny Tuesday, who is a member here, is also an Elfquest fan and a member of that forum; he's the one who first sent me here. It's always great to find another EQ fan! :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:Heh, heh. I'm a moderator on the Elfquest.com forum and the author of way too many fanfics. :twisted: Janny Tuesday, who is a member here, is also an Elfquest fan and a member of that forum; he's the one who first sent me here. It's always great to find another EQ fan! :D

O good lord! why can't you guys get a decent intelligent hobby like mine? DC comics of the Silver age! Now you can't tell me those stupid elf things are as good as the Legion of Super Heroes!
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief