the new cutting edge atheist arguments.

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

ChumpChange
Re: the new cutting edge atheist arguments.

Post by ChumpChange » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:05 pm

I also believe too that God still interacts with humanity today the same as he did back in ancient times. In my opinion the human race has become so engulfed in the extreme busyness of everyday life that we have become sidetracked from our spirituality. Society has become so populated and we have access to so much information now that it seems we have forgotten our spiritual roots. I believe that in the 'old days' people were much more in tune with spirituality and therefore their eyes were much more open to it. We as a species have stopped listening for the most part. Today people are ridiculed for believing such far fetched ideas but back then it was the norm. I agree that God does interact with people but my argument was that God wont show himself to everybody all at once in order for them to believe in Him.

"I never use Wikipedia, as Ive learend the hard way that its a biased and innacurate soruce."

True. I almost didnt use the definition from wikipedia because I feel the same way about it as you seem to.
"Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices."

-Ecclesiastes 7:29

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 pm

ChumpChange wrote:I also believe too that God still interacts with humanity today the same as he did back in ancient times. In my opinion the human race has become so engulfed in the extreme busyness of everyday life that we have become sidetracked from our spirituality. Society has become so populated and we have access to so much information now that it seems we have forgotten our spiritual roots. I believe that in the 'old days' people were much more in tune with spirituality and therefore their eyes were much more open to it. We as a species have stopped listening for the most part. Today people are ridiculed for believing such far fetched ideas but back then it was the norm. I agree that God does interact with people but my argument was that God wont show himself to everybody all at once in order for them to believe in Him.

"I never use Wikipedia, as Ive learend the hard way that its a biased and innacurate soruce."

True. I almost didnt use the definition from wikipedia because I feel the same way about it as you seem to.

Wiki changes every day. we (the CADRE) once had a running battle of editing with some Jesus mythers on wiki and every day we had to go there and change it all back.

I think god does stuff but it's problematic.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Wyrdsmyth

Post by Wyrdsmyth » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:25 pm

Not bad, although I wouldn't call them cutting edge, or even exactly arguments in all cases -- but still, I think you've nicely summed up observations or opinions that most atheists hold in common.

I'm much more pleased with this summary, than for example, the mere assertion "atheists don't believe because they don't want to believe." It shows you've at least been listening, Meta.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Wyrdsmyth wrote:
I'm much more pleased with this summary, than for example, the mere assertion "atheists don't believe because they don't want to believe." It shows you've at least been listening, Meta.
Whereas, from all I've been able to ascertain from your posts to date, Wyrdsmyth, your argument is "theists believe because they want to believe."
Wag more.
Bark less.

Wyrdsmyth

Post by Wyrdsmyth » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:32 pm

Why do you believe, KR Wordgazer?

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Well, I can't answer for KR, but I beleive base dupon the cumulative nature of the evidence and upon deep study.

I've been convinced base dupon reason and practical evidence.

Would you liek to go into that?

Wyrdsmyth

Post by Wyrdsmyth » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:25 pm

At the risk of harming my reputation for being arrogant and close-minded -- sure, Zarove, I'm willing to read about anyone's reasons for belief.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 am

Wyrdsmyth wrote:Why do you believe, KR Wordgazer?
Because when I examined the case for Jesus being Who He claimed to be, I found it held together. Because I have had personal experience of the power and presence of God in my life. Because I have had odd foreknowings of things I couldn't have known in any ordinary way-- things I experienced as communications from God. Because I am in general a down-to-earth, practical kind of person, not someone looking for the supernatural under every rose-petal, and yet I can't deny the reality of what has happened to me. Because reasonings such as are found on the Doxa website make sense in light of what I myself have encountered.

And no, I'm not going to go into a bunch of specific details. Once bitten, twice shy, and I've been ridiculed by atheists before. Not that I'm saying you would, but we're talking about the most important things in my life-- my very heart and soul.
Wag more.
Bark less.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 pm

I will post my own reasons for beign and remaining a Christian, but will say that over the years of study, Christianity has proven to make much mroe sence than anythibg else, and has demonstrated itself ot be rationally defensable, an more importantly, it has shown itself to be a reflection fo reality.

That zaid, as I am currentky unemployed and rhus have free time, I think I'll be able to keep this promise, and will also post on recent topics that have crope dup in the last three months that I intended ot ge tinto and didnt.

Such as John Shelby Spong and how I can be a Monarhcists and prefer decentralised Governemnt, somethign Wordgazer has asked about.

But I'll firts reply here as its th emost important topic.

I'll try ot have it up by wednesday, at leats the firts part.