Happy Thanksgiving

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Kane Augustus
Happy Thanksgiving

Post by Kane Augustus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Despite the obvious Amerocentrism of this board ( :twisted: ), I'd like to shout out a Happy Thanksgiving to us fine and admirable Canadians.

You Americans know who you are. You come across our boarder to purchase real beer. :lol: Bunch of turkeys.

ZAROVE

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Happy THanskgivign Canada! And God Save the Queen!

On that noite, I don't drink beer. What does Canada have to offer the Englishman in Tennessee?

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:25 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Happy THanskgivign Canada! And God Save the Queen!

On that noite, I don't drink beer. What does Canada have to offer the Englishman in Tennessee?
Same thing it has to offer the Englishman in Canada: awesome beer! And if you don't drink beer, we make the world's finest ice-wine's, too. See? You can have more than just our softwoods and get away with it, too. :twisted:

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:47 pm

But, I don't drink Wine either! or any Alcohol! so all Canada has is ice and much colder winters than Tennessee! and Hockey! and Potein! Though you lot were sensable enough to keep the Crown, so thats good.

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 pm

ZAROVE wrote:But, I don't drink Wine either! or any Alcohol! so all Canada has is ice and much colder winters than Tennessee! and Hockey! and Potein! Though you lot were sensable enough to keep the Crown, so thats good.
Oh, I don't know if keeping the Crown was sensible. I mean, I'm used to what it implies, but I'm certainly not a fan. Besides, on thing the U.S. still has that Canada and England do not is indelible human freedoms. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms in Canada allows us certain rights, but they are not indelible. That puts us 1 step away from losing those rights, by implication. In the U.S., at least for now, the Constitution makes it clear that human freedoms and rights are non-negotiable. I prefer the actual rights and freedoms the U.S. people enjoy vs. the synthetic rights and freedoms granted Canadians through the courts, which is run by the government, and can, at any time, be tampered with or removed.

As an Englishman in Canada, however, I would much prefer the weather in Tennessee to the winter weather here.

But yes, we have a good deal of ice. But really, only in the winter. Unless, of course, you move to the Arctic Circle, and then you have quite a lot of ice, quite a lot of the time. But I'm not there, so I'm happy to endulge in warm weather at least 6 months of the year. And wonderful forests, too. And Mountains. And immense lakes we could fit many Englands into. And whales. And salmon runs. And watching the wheat we grow, so that we can ship it to the U.S. and watch, stupified, as they destroy it for the manufacturing of piss (which, in America, they call "beer"). :twisted:

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Kane-
Oh, I don't know if keeping the Crown was sensible.
Why not? Its more sensible than letting Politicians hold supreme power and the top position. I know this is the age of Democracy and we’re all about “The will of the people” and all that but, I’ve told you in the past I see the idea of Democracy as Rather a Sham to begin with. I think the Crown needs more Power to actually rule, and we need fewer elected con men to run things.

I mean, I'm used to what it implies, but I'm certainly not a fan.
Any specific reasons why ?

Besides, on thing the U.S. still has that Canada and England do not is indelible human freedoms.
Why do people refer to England as if it’s a fully independent Nation? Americans do this too, last time I had a talk on these matters they said they fought a Revolution to get rid of England. England has not been a Nation-State since 1701. Has no one heard of the United Kingdom? Or is this like thinking “The Soviet Union” was the same thing as “Russia”.

Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (Not o mention the Isle of Man, which is Autonomous from Westminster) are all part of the UK, as are the Falkland Islands, and several other Crown Colonies. (Including Prince Edwards Island, which is Technically not part of Canada.)

Its not “England”, but the united Kingdom.

That said, America has Inalienable Human rights only in Theory. In practice those rights are being eroded. The Irony is, the very system erected to preserve that Liberty and that people assume is necessary to make sure we are e is the cause of the Loss of those Freedoms. When I tell people I am a Monarchist they assume I want a Governmental Dictatorship that regulates everyone’s lives, and tell me they prefer Democracy for in it they have Freedom of Speech, assembly, and press, and basic Human rights.

But no one can tell me why I should think a Monarchy will automatically remove our rights, or what it is about the fact that we vote for our Leaders that makes them not remove our rights.

Historically Monarchies have allowed Greater Liberty than have Republics, and the Supreme Irony is that most Monarchies are indelibly based on a Hierarchy of rights that even the King can’t Violate.

Democracy is based upon the will of the majority over the Minority.

Both Canada and Great Britain were far more Free in the Victorian Era than today in terms of Law. Yet, Queen Victoria had real power and Authority. Today both prattle on about being Democratic and even boast of the fact that the Crown is mainly Ceremonial and symbolic and that the real power rests “In the people”, though it really in the elected leaders, the politicians). Its when the Elected officials work to reshape society to suit their ideology or for political expedience or to reward some privileged group that got them elected that you see Freedom deteriorate.

It’s a byproduct of Democracy, and yet we want to solve it by adding more democracy. Its like throwing oil on a fire to put it out.
The Charter of Rights and Freedoms in Canada allows us certain rights, but they are not indelible. That puts us 1 step away from losing those rights, by implication. In the U.S., at least for now, the Constitution makes it clear that human freedoms and rights are non-negotiable.

Actually the Constitution is amendable. That said, it really is only used as a basic guideline, and how its implemented depends on who is in office. A lot of things that are not really protected as people thing.

For instance, Churches are not allowed to speak on Political matters or they loose their Tax Exempt Status. I see this as a clear violation of the First Amendment, but thanks to Legal Mumbo Jumbo double talk, its permitted. Also, we have “Free Speech Zones” set up in places so we can quarter off those who protest. That’s not really allowing Free Speech, that’s simply offering it lip service.

What about the Graduated Tax Laws? So much for “All men are Created Equal”, then again that was the Declaration of Independence. The Patriot Act allows were tapping and interception f private communications without a warrant, and this was somehow “Constitutional” even though it seems not to be. What about Obama “Obamacare” Legislation?

Politicians are skilled with sidestepping those “Inalienable” and “Indelible” rights, and just because e they are written down in the Constitution doesn’t mean cleaver rationalisations can’t be sued to get ones own way.

I prefer the actual rights and freedoms the U.S. people enjoy vs. the synthetic rights and freedoms granted Canadians through the courts, which is run by the government, and can, at any time, be tampered with or removed.

In Theory I agree with you, but there is no actual Mechanism in the US to actually protect those rights.

In a Properly running monarchy the Monarchs duty would be to make sure those rights are protected. Instead we rely as our guardians a group sleeted by a Partisan competition and who have a vested interest in selective interpretations of those Freedoms, and who will cater to those who will help them in their own agenda.

As an Englishman in Canada, however, I would much prefer the weather in Tennessee to the winter weather here.
But yes, we have a good deal of ice. But really, only in the winter. Unless, of course, you move to the Arctic Circle, and then you have quite a lot of ice, quite a lot of the time. But I'm not there, so I'm happy to endulge in warm weather at least 6 months of the year. And wonderful forests, too. And Mountains. And immense lakes we could fit many Englands into. And whales. And salmon runs. And watching the wheat we grow, so that we can ship it to the U.S. and watch, stupified, as they destroy it for the manufacturing of piss (which, in America, they call "beer").

You can do all that in Tennessee and it’s a much Milder Winter…

met

Post by met » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:22 pm

hey Kane. ..

how do u reconcile all this "us" stuff with a slant towards Objectivism? :twisted:

.. . o well, i hope u had a great Thanksgiving anyway
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to beautiful Canada!

(I have fond memories of camping on a remote lake in Saskatchewan as a child.)
Wag more.
Bark less.

Kane Augustus

Post by Kane Augustus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 pm

met wrote:hey Kane. ..

how do u reconcile all this "us" stuff with a slant towards Objectivism? :twisted:

.. . o well, i hope u had a great Thanksgiving anyway
Heh. I don't. But I do like to play and be facetious. :D

met

Post by met » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Happy THanskgivign Canada! And God Save the Queen!

DUH! - a half-decent cup of TEA! :o :( :P
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton