The practical side of "Many paths, one destination"

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

tinythinker
The practical side of "Many paths, one destination"

Post by tinythinker » Wed May 21, 2008 2:09 pm

This premise is obviously not of value to those who explicitly reject anything that vaguely resembles "religion", nor for those who are staunchly exclusive in their philosophical/theological views on such matters. But for everyone else...

A common idea that I have run across from highly realized practioners from various religious and spiritual traditions can be summarized thusly -

Yes, when we get closer to the Source, particularly in contemplative exercises descreasing our false self and increasing our direct understanding of our true nature, the descriptions of the experiences of the saints, mystics, and deeply holy women and men start sounding similar and in some cases virtually identical. However, in order to "get there", one must be firmly rooted in a particular tradition and method, which ironically then allows for a greater genuine appreciation of and sharing with other traditions the deeper you go. Some useful analogies include starting to dig a well in one spot, then stopping and starting somewhere else, so that after a long time and a lot of effort you end up with several shallow pits but are still no closer to reaching the water. Or more on point, there may be many paths to the same truth, but you can't walk them all at once.
Adrift in the endless river

Metacrock

Re: The practical side of "Many paths, one destination"

Post by Metacrock » Wed May 21, 2008 4:16 pm

All the postmodern stuff cuts both ways. The atheists really hate it, but that's indicative of the type of atheist. The scientifically embeaued type who know little of liberal arts hate it, but it's really made by and for atheistic thinkers. Despite this fact it cuts both ways, even though Derrida and co. did not forsee that..

I say this because the construct that sepeartes us form the actual reality of the world just as easily privileges belief as skepticism.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Thu May 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Metacrock wrote:I say this because the construct that sepeartes us form the actual reality of the world just as easily privileges belief as skepticism.

Shhhhhhh! You're going to freak some people out and make them really, really upset. :mrgreen:
Adrift in the endless river

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 pm

tinythinker wrote:
Metacrock wrote:I say this because the construct that sepeartes us form the actual reality of the world just as easily privileges belief as skepticism.

Shhhhhhh! You're going to freak some people out and make them really, really upset. :mrgreen:

ahahahahahahahahaha :mrgreen:

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 am

tinythinker wrote:

rotflmao
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri May 30, 2008 3:59 pm

sgttomas wrote:
tinythinker wrote:

rotflmao

you like that one? :P

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:01 am

heaps and gobs of irony.

...me likey ;)
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:57 am

sgttomas wrote:heaps and gobs of irony.

...me likey ;)
ahahahaha good! :mrgreen: :!: :D

Antimatter

Post by Antimatter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:43 am

For what it's worth, I've long been convinced that, on the subject of the supernatural, various flavors of universalism and naturalism are the most reasonable, defensible, and practical worldviews one could take. Though I err for the latter in the absence of any clear evidence, I have few philosophical objections with universalism. Perhaps this is my own conceptualization of the same dipole Meta described between belief and skepticism.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:05 am

Antimatter wrote:For what it's worth, I've long been convinced that, on the subject of the supernatural, various flavors of universalism and naturalism are the most reasonable, defensible, and practical worldviews one could take. Though I err for the latter in the absence of any clear evidence, I have few philosophical objections with universalism. Perhaps this is my own conceptualization of the same dipole Meta described between belief and skepticism.

you are half way there. repeat after me, "the glass is half .... full!" :mrgreen: