Climate Change

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Climate Change

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

watching front line on the process by which this tiny group of ultra right wing fools turned the country against global warming. They used the talk radio echo chamber to create right wing hysteria.

It's so stupid because every thing they said one could see the fallacies in it. It's just amazing all the tricks of character assassination and unfair tactics used to vilify anyone who even appears to support global warming. they've created a consequence among people who know nothing about a field they have no knowledge about (scinece).

they are saying stuff like "It's common sense." what is? saying stuff I want to hear. It's common sense my stuff is right. that's essentially what they are saying. they were saying things like 'the earth has been working for thousands years why would ti stop?

the anser is because we started screwing with it, but then they say "O that's just liberal stuff." anyone who agrees with that is liberal.

climate of doubt:frontline

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/201 ... hange.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... te-change/
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Re: Climate Change

Post by Magritte » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh excellent. I haven't been keeping up with Frontline. Will watch this tonight.

Does it discuss that Anthony Watts guy who claims that temperature sensing stations are situated badly, and get influenced by urban heat islands, nearby asphalt etc? Climate scientists redid their calculations using only data from his preferred sensing stations, and guess what - same result. Gee, it's almost as if climate scientists know more about climate than lobbyists, bloggers and blowhards!
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Magritte wrote:Oh excellent. I haven't been keeping up with Frontline. Will watch this tonight.

Does it discuss that Anthony Watts guy who claims that temperature sensing stations are situated badly, and get influenced by urban heat islands, nearby asphalt etc? Climate scientists redid their calculations using only data from his preferred sensing stations, and guess what - same result. Gee, it's almost as if climate scientists know more about climate than lobbyists, bloggers and blowhards!
I don't remember that. The talk about a guy name Singer who is a physicist and he designed weather sats. He knows his stuff but he's so conservative he's been against a long string of things that proved true like nuclear winter (not that it's proved true but the data and the opinions have accepted it).

One thing they did was to look at the descending data points on the down sides rather than the incline of a long period of time. So they say things like "there has been significant increase in warming in the past 10 years" that's because they looking 1980, 1990 and nothing in between. If you look at 1900-1999 it's on an upward incline.

The whole show was full of tricks like that.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Amusing. An opinions on the inevitable increased use of fracking in Midwestern America? I'm kind of torn in the sense that it is in my countries medium term interests. However, one thing that I do fear is how it might sidetrack the development of alternative energy programs. Then again, with Obama in charge, I could well see both happening, especially with the Republican party imploding at the moment. Hell, at the moment, if Hillary were to run in 2016, short of a disaster she's pretty well has it in the bag.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:Amusing. An opinions on the inevitable increased use of fracking in Midwestern America? I'm kind of torn in the sense that it is in my countries medium term interests. However, one thing that I do fear is how it might sidetrack the development of alternative energy programs. Then again, with Obama in charge, I could well see both happening, especially with the Republican party imploding at the moment. Hell, at the moment, if Hillary were to run in 2016, short of a disaster she's pretty well has it in the bag.

WE in Dallas get a lot of anti-fracking info on the news as a ground swell of Fr.Worthers are turning against it. I really don't know if it is dangerous or just becasue it has discomforts and loss of property value they didn't expect because the commerical hype to accept the drilling was so big at firs they didn't expect any down side.

ONe thing I know no one ever called fr Worth "the Barnett" before the drilling. now they almost changed the name of the town to that.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 am

I can't seem to get any unbiased accounts on the matter at the moment. A few groups are going to say ban fracking altogether which is not going to happen, the very idea that it could potentially make the US a net producer of natural gas (the largest producer by 2017). However, I do here to necessary regulations in terms of safety and cementing the wells.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 am

One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

Son of a .....

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:28 pm

http://www.news.com.au/national/too-hot ... 6549873359
Mrs Plate said the Roadhouse couldn't serve unleaded fuel after midday because it was vapourising and wouldn't pump in the extreme heat.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Mass Extinction Forecast With 6C Temperature Rise

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/mas ... e_20130110