Stop "Fox News North"

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
Stop "Fox News North"

Post by Magritte » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 pm

The CRTC could make us all pay for American-style right-wing media as part of our cable packages -- unless we stop them.

Quebecor created a "Fox News North" to model the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. The channel is run by PM Harper’s former top aide and so far it doesn't have enough of an audience to survive. But now it's applying to the CRTC to be forcibly added to all of our basic cable packages!

Let’s make sure we’re not forced to pay for this by sending an urgent message to Canada’s TV regulator, the CRTC – it’ll only take 1 minute!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_fox_news_n ... cb&v=22289

Met, you probably want to send a message yourself and pass it on...
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

met

Re: Stop "Fox News North"

Post by met » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

yeah, maybe i will. A month ago I likely wouldn't because I didn't watch TV and hadn't had any cable service for the last 5 years. :shock: But we just got a basic cable hookup last month, when they offered a package that only cost us $2/mo. more than just our internet and phone connections & incl. a PVS. So basically, got it for pretty much nothing...

I've only watched a couple hours of television since & TV actually seems quite weird when you're not used to it. The ads, esp, are very loud. But still, now, I guess I gotta deal with these kinds of issues....*sigh!*
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I don't have cable TV, just phone and internet, and I still signed it because I don't want my cable company that I buy other services from to be subsidizing it. (Videotron, ironically enough, which is owned by Quebecor who's behind all this in the first place)

Besides, it's just wrong on principle - these dicks who are nominally against government interference with business want the government to interfere their business into profitability.

Even if not for the hypocrisy angle, It would make Canada a shittier, angrier, uglier place.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

met

Post by met » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Magritte wrote:Besides, it's just wrong on principle - these dicks who are nominally against government interference with business want the government to interfere their business into profitability.
heh. yeah, good point, funny how that works, huh? :( (& meanwhile, back on the ranch, the icecaps are pretty much toast...)
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Yeah, it's on my mind a lot these days.

http://youtu.be/qdMLy--JxCQ

I think the guy is underplaying the problem, if anything.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 am

down with fox news. I don't even take cable. The old three networks are bad enough. Up with NPR! :D
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief