Here goes lil' Kim again

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

fleetmouse
Here goes lil' Kim again

Post by fleetmouse » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:24 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... reats.html

I have to say, the American bombing run over SK doesn't sound like the brightest move... not that you should kowtow to a lunatic, but you maybe ought to think twice before brandishing weapons in front of him, giving him an excuse to go apeshit.

If China's going to say something, now would be the time.

fleetmouse

Re: Here goes lil' Kim again

Post by fleetmouse » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:26 pm

fleetmouse wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... reats.html

I have to say, the American bombing run over SK doesn't sound like the brightest move... not that you should kowtow to a lunatic, but you maybe ought to think twice before brandishing weapons in front of him, giving him an excuse to go apeshit.

If China's going to say something, now would be the time.
have we actually bombed? I don't think we will. I am starting to think we really will have a war. It might last a whole day.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 am

They are playing the crazy card. Mao used to do this back in the 1960 to tout his credentials. You play the crazy card so nobody would ever true and put you into a corner.

Even if they did the war in the conventional sense (not taking occupation or anything like that) would take about a month. Thousands would die, but North Korea one has enough fuel to keep their army going for 30 days. There best weapons are hand me downs from the 1970s Chinese and Soviet weapons.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:They are playing the crazy card. Mao used to do this back in the 1960 to tout his credentials. You play the crazy card so nobody would ever true and put you into a corner.

Even if they did the war in the conventional sense (not taking occupation or anything like that) would take about a month. Thousands would die, but North Korea one has enough fuel to keep their army going for 30 days. There best weapons are hand me downs from the 1970s Chinese and Soviet weapons.
Sure there's no doubt if we could fight them in the open field with no China to back them and no nucs on either side, we would slaughter them in a matter of days. Maybe a month.

U.S. played crazy card too in our early days. That's why we jumped into the fight in the war of 1812 and got our asses kicked. That's why we fought the Barbary pirates, which is where the Marine corpus song get's "To the Shores of Tripoli."

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 am

Metacrock wrote: Sure there's no doubt if we could fight them in the open field with no China to back them and no nucs on either side, we would slaughter them in a matter of days. Maybe a month.
Sure, China is more annoyed at North Korea than anything else. I read newspapers calling for China to just let South Korea take over. The only reason they keep them around is the potential flood of weapons and refugees into their territory.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote: Sure there's no doubt if we could fight them in the open field with no China to back them and no nucs on either side, we would slaughter them in a matter of days. Maybe a month.
Sure, China is more annoyed at North Korea than anything else. I read newspapers calling for China to just let South Korea take over. The only reason they keep them around is the potential flood of weapons and refugees into their territory.
you mean in China they have enough free press to demand something like that?

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, one editor got sacked for it. But in general, complaining about North Korea is actually kind of a norm in China. Also, China has become a more adaptive authoritarian state. Criticizing things that are less "sensitive" like public health, N Korea being assholes, LOCAL government corruption, is generally tolerated, as the government uses that to address (or at least pretend to address) those problems. The issues come when there is a call for collective action and/or it is directed toward the central government.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:Well, one editor got sacked for it. But in general, complaining about North Korea is actually kind of a norm in China. Also, China has become a more adaptive authoritarian state. Criticizing things that are less "sensitive" like public health, N Korea being assholes, LOCAL government corruption, is generally tolerated, as the government uses that to address (or at least pretend to address) those problems. The issues come when there is a call for collective action and/or it is directed toward the central government.

I'm glad to see you are still alive. the repercussions form the smart answers in the movie thing have not panned out. I thought I heard some thing about forefingers were urged to go home in case of nuclear war or something. Are the Chinese afraid of that? Do they think it's a possibility?

I know the North told foreigners to leave S. Korea that's not what I have reference to. I guess you wold know if there was such reason to leave.

fleetmouse

Post by fleetmouse » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I read that some insider in North Korea said Kim is posturing to the world because he's too young and inexperienced to take command of the military... it's all bluster. Which is an interesting dynamic - if the military isn't fully under his control then there could eventually be a coup. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I'm sure much of the military brass is as corrupt and selfish as him and his father.

(wish I remembered where I read that - I scan waaaay too many headlines in an RSS reader daily)