Even in North Korea, it all comes down to business

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Even in North Korea, it all comes down to business

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/world ... purge.html

Though inevitably I find the whole corruption issue kind of selective in that state of all places.

Also, I found out that meth is a pretty popular thing there...chalk another thing that makes that state resemble 1984

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... korea.html
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Magritte

Re: Even in North Korea, it all comes down to business

Post by Magritte » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Instapapered for later. North Korea is like the cult of Scientology as it was run under Hubbard, blown up to the size of a nation. It's endlessly fascinating.

Honestly, nothing would surprise me about that place any more. They have nukes - so weird. Does that mean they have reactors? Or are they getting refined fissionables from China? The thought of starving meth fueled North Koreans running a reactor is nightmare fuel.

BTW Frontline just did a documentary on them. Want to see it but it's not available in Canada. I'll have to torrent it or use a proxy.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 am

Magritte wrote:Instapapered for later. North Korea is like the cult of Scientology as it was run under Hubbard, blown up to the size of a nation. It's endlessly fascinating.

Honestly, nothing would surprise me about that place any more. They have nukes - so weird. Does that mean they have reactors? Or are they getting refined fissionables from China? The thought of starving meth fueled North Koreans running a reactor is nightmare fuel.

BTW Frontline just did a documentary on them. Want to see it but it's not available in Canada. I'll have to torrent it or use a proxy.
I would say, to paraphrase Christopher Hitchens, that North Korea is if somebody read 1984 and thought "let's give it the good old college try".

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 pm

exactly! North Korea is the prefect atheist society. :mrgreen:
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Metacrock wrote:exactly! North Korea is the prefect atheist society. :mrgreen:

Which has little difference from an ancient theocracy, except it has the tools. It even has its own God-king.