Nozick as Mr. Rogers

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Nozick as Mr. Rogers

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/38

Lol. But in all seriousness. What are your opinions on Nozick. To me he seems to have similar conclusions to Ayn Rand politically, but goes about it in a different way...and comes across as less sociopathic. I have just started to read Anarchy, State, and Utopia. I have gotten interested in the idea of contract theory and treating people as an ends in themselves and only bending that within the terms of the contract. The question I might have is concerning what to do if somebody breaks the contract.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: Nozick as Mr. Rogers

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:http://existentialcomics.com/comic/38

Lol. But in all seriousness. What are your opinions on Nozick. To me he seems to have similar conclusions to Ayn Rand politically, but goes about it in a different way...and comes across as less sociopathic. I have just started to read Anarchy, State, and Utopia. I have gotten interested in the idea of contract theory and treating people as an ends in themselves and only bending that within the terms of the contract. The question I might have is concerning what to do if somebody breaks the contract.

that was the view I used to have of him. One of my best freinds whose opinons I greatly respect, Lantz Miller, author of City Limit (a novel) got me t read Philosophical Explanations. It's not so bad. I like his stuff on free will. He's pro free will and if I am reading him right establishes the basis for it. I don't class him with Rand.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:34 pm

Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:http://existentialcomics.com/comic/38

that was the view I used to have of him. One of my best freinds whose opinons I greatly respect, Lantz Miller, author of City Limit (a novel) got me t read Philosophical Explanations. It's not so bad. I like his stuff on free will. He's pro free will and if I am reading him right establishes the basis for it. I don't class him with Rand.
Of course he's not Ayn Rand. But both are people that emphasize a minimalist state (minarchists) and emphasize personal freedoms and free enterprise.

I do remember Nozick made one or two things criticizing hedonistic utilitarianism.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 am

I emphasize personal freedom. :D
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief